Any inexpensive mods support single 21700 and decent TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I have added it to my next testing purchase cart, should be done by christmas.

From what I have seen, sourcemore and CVapor usually have the best price on the cold steel 100.

fasttech beats them both due to free shipping but only when they have a 10% of 15% coupon code.

AussieGeek

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2020
    From what I have seen, Sourcemore and CVapor usually have the best price on the cold steel 100.

fasttech beats them both due to free shipping but only when they have a 10% of 15% coupon code.
    I saw LostVape have just released a new mod that looks a lot like their DNA powered mods, but isnt DNA powered, and claiming excellent TC...called Grus? This is going to be interesting...

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    @GeorgeS I know all this may sound dumb, but I've been a professional PC tech for 20 years :)

If you haven't yet:

Make sure the cable is plugged in to the mod all the way.

Try a different cable.

Try it both with the mod plugged in to the cable first and then into the machine and vice versa.

Try every combination of with and without a battery and or atomizer.

No battery, no atomizer.

Just the battery, just the atomizer.
    =================================
    I think I may be on to something over here too. I extracted the MSI file and there's a cab file in there. I think I found the USB driver inside that cabinet file, which it turns out is made from an open source library setup.

I can't finish this now though :)

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    @GeorgeS
    I think I may be on to something over here too. I extracted the MSI file and there's a cab file in there. I think I found the USB driver inside that cabinet file, which it turns out is made from an open source library setup.
    I can't finish this now though :)

I got my start in the Electronics industry in 1980. :)

While swapping the cable allowed it to recognize two other types of SX-Mini's I had in reach (but not install drivers for one of them), the SL on the other hand nothing.

Such is life. Like I said, it seems to work fine and I have not experienced ether of the bugs the latest firmware fixes.

g.

Reactions: gsmit1

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While I wait on the slow boat from China that has some cute single and dual coil RTA's on it, my morning surfing turned up some inexpensive stock of these:
    50460077903_3d4ebb1dd6_w.jpg

when it was in production I spent way more than the $18ea that I did just now.

For me whats not to like: 4.2ml juice capacity, top fill, juice and air flow control, dual coil deck and does not leak.

Granted there is not much room on the deck for exotic builds and I usually wind up 2-2.5mm single wire coils on it. Feed one with ~60W in TC mode and the (maybe) slightly restricted air flow will produce tons of vapor.

The black one I have looks so good on my 18650 Pico I decided to get more (and silver ones to go with the inbound silver 21700 Picos).

:)

g.

Reactions: gsmit1

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Ok, so the GeekVape Aegis Max Mod arrived today. Unboxed and up and running in ~15min.

50474269516_9157ded549.jpg

First impressions - I like the look and feel of this mod. It has a awesome battery door/screw cap and nice large buttons (clicky). Never having one before I had to read the manual to get it set up. I have a 25mm tank mounted and it looks like it can easily take a 30mm or larger tank on top. Mounting the tank it asked if it was a new coil or not and then set the resistance. I set the temperature to 430F and 40W of power, plenty for my single wire 26AWG build I have in the KF v5 25 I have mounted.

So how does it vape?

While it seems to vape well enough, if I hold the fire button down and hold the tank to my ear I can hear it pulsing/cycling through heat/wait cycles. It is unlikely that it will test well for those that like to do that sort of thing because of this. (to be fair, I tried the same 'test' on a Dicodes tube mod and the SX-Mini and did not hear any cycling)

50474465166_79a5b6b8c5.jpg

(my left hand from my easy chair, left to right: Pico 18650, SX-Mini, Dani 21700, Wismec TC100 and Pulse 21700 squanker)

The Pico 21700's also arrived today. I'll go over them in the next post.

g.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Eleaf Pico 21700 -

this is a decent little mod that for the price could be called the best deal in TC vaping.

While this keeps the same form factor of the smaller 18650 version, its really only 'slightly' larger however sports a much larger and easier to read screen. With the stock firmware it TC vapes well enough however the menu system might take a bit of getting used to. (granted, once setup I usually only adjust the temperature which is directly accessible with the +/- buttons on the bottom)

The bonus here is that it is compatible with the 3rd party 'Artic Fox' firmware that allows (along with others) to create and setup 'profiles' on your computer and download to the Pico making whatever menu system the Pico had stock (or the Artic Fox menus) mostly unneeded.

As it happens in the 25mm tanks all I have is Kayfun v5's. While they will screw on and 'fit' the knobs on the v5 will rub against the battery cap on the Pico. I opted for mounting a smaller tank on the Pico because of this.

Fitted with a Samsung 40T 21700 this should be a decent TC vaping setup.

g.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Well that was a pretty glowing review! Glad you like the 21700 Pico.

As it happens in the 25mm tanks all I have is Kayfun v5's. While they will screw on and 'fit' the knobs on the v5 will rub against the battery cap on the Pico. I opted for mounting a smaller tank on the Pico because of this.

Yeah, that's the biggest downside to top, protruding battery caps, they strictly dictate that max diameter of atty you can use.

But the upside is that they're better than bottom, protruding battery caps. :lol:

612a342ba2ba.png

• Agree
    Reactions: BNEAT

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Lost Vape Grus is nice, but is big and very heavy. But for the price not bad at all. Don’t know if TC is any good I use only wattage.

I have 2. All of them read resistance incorrectly so I have to run at higher wattage compared to all my other mods. Firmware is not updragable by design so the issue will never be fixed. Thankfully I didn't pay a whole lot for them and they are still usable.

AussieGeek

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2020
    Lost Vape Grus is nice, but is big and very heavy. But for the price not bad at all. Don’t know if TC is any good I use only wattage.
    Its a real shame, I really like the design of the mod, and the SUPER simple interface...but the temperature control is not good...their claims to have TC comparable to DNA without the expense do not hold up unfortunately. Data publishing soon.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Its a real shame, I really like the design of the mod, and the SUPER simple interface...but the temperature control is not good...their claims to have TC comparable to DNA without the expense do not hold up unfortunately. Data publishing soon.

They put their whole budget into the design of the mod but under the hood ... meh. Not even a preheat function SMH!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread