Any news on the safety of SS and Ceramic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
I know there was a huge thread about SS, and a few on ceramic, but I've seen nothing since.

I was given a zen and started my love affair with SS, and then I see that "we're all going to die for it....maybe."

So i thought maybe I'll give ceramics a shot, but I've seen concerns raised about them as well.

I realize we're all going to die one day and vaping is still most likely safer than cigs, but I'f these concerns are true, I just may ween myself off of the whole habit.

Someone talk me off the ledge....

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
SS, haven't spent much time researching it.

Are you concerned with silica?

That's fiberglass.

Pretty much the same concerns as ceramic, loose particulates getting in the lungs.

But those concerns have to do with dry material floating around in the air.

When I looked at ceramic, I went looking for workplace studies.

What I found caused me no concern.

YMMV

Keep your wicks wet.

Last edited:

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Honestly I get a bit fed up with these threads!
Is there any proof these things are bad? Well I haven't seen any so if you have use the info to decide.
You smoked for X years and I know if I stop vaping I will eventually go back to smoking so any slight dangers from whatever are nothing in comparison.

whoa guy, I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just looking for an update. Where did I imply that they were? I said "I READ THAT THEY MIGHT NOT BE." I'm sure most of us researched the hell out of vaping to see if it was going to be a better choice than smoking. There's nothing wrong with researching the thing we enjoy to make sure we're not substituting one bad thing for another. Before I got really into vaping, I came here and read a lot and asked questions. I don't intend on stopping that just because it's better than smoking.

I get the deal that we smoked.....but here's the thing, we switched to vaping because we believe it to be safer. It's something that we can control and if these SS or ceramic wicks are putting things into our body that say cotton or hemp won't then I think we should be aware of it and then make the decision on what's better for us.

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
SS, haven't spent much tome researching it.

Are you concerned with silica?

That's fiberglass.

Pretty much the same concerns as ceramic, loose particulates getting in the lungs.

But those concerns have to do with dry material floating around in the air.

When I looked at ceramic, I went looking for workplace studies.

What I found caused me no concern.

YMMV

Keep your wicks wet.

thanks for the reply, As I said, ss and ceramic wicks are new to me and I just want to know all I can. I'm most likely going to keep using SS and possible ceramic until it's said to be worse for us than the other types of wicking.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Yes I agree, but I've still to see any evidence of harm from these things, if I had any concerns about say SS then I would just avoid it and use one of the many other wicking materials. That's the thing with smoking you didn't have much choice about how much poisonous stuff you inhaled, but with vaping you do and I can't think of 1 thing that we use apart from the SS in the wire that we can't avoid.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
thanks for the reply, As I said, ss and ceramic wicks are new to me and I just want to know all I can. I'm most likely going to keep using SS and possible ceramic until it's said to be worse for us than the other types of wicking.
You getting good results with ceramic? I looked into this but though it just wasn't worth it.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
I read some German studies done on ceramic exposure.

They found no loss of lung function in non-smokers over a Five or Six year period.

They did notice some degradation in smokers over the same period.

But the question becomes was it the smoking or the ceramic causing it?

Keep in mind this was looking at workers in spaces saturated in dry ceramic, free-floating in the air.

Take a look at some of the studies of cotton fiber exposure in similar workplaces.

Is getting ceramic in your lungs bad? Yeah probably. Is getting cotton in your lungs bad? Yeah probably.

But it's not a comparable exposure IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread