Any truth to the Rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tencars

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Tennessee, USA
I just came from my local BM store. The owner said he just came back from a vaping convention in
Las Vegas in which he learn that the FDA will be requiring all e-liquid makers to be FDA certified and
meet all standards for the manufacture of food grade products. ATF to be the enforcer of the Rule/Law.
Date he was given was April 28th 2014 for this to come into effect. Also, he was told you will
no longer be able to buy pure nicotine for DIY unless you are licensed to do so. All current vendors
in the USA will be affected and must pass FDA inspection to be able to continue manufacture of
any e-liquid that contain nicotine.

Hope I have posted in the correct location. But that's a big statement from the ower of my local BM store.

Any truth to these statements?

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
That's not much notice but then again, except for the paperwork that will be involved for these businesses, it's not that hard of a rule to follow. I really hope that most places already could pass a "food standard" inspection.

Meeting standards for food grade products is what some of our local health departments are currently doing. What that will do is get rid of any business that is using unsanitary practices in their mixing rooms... so it will actually benefit the clean ones by eliminating any cheap, dirty ones.

The ban on private sales of nicotine is troubling though. I plan to buy some quantities before that happens so that I can DIY.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I just came from my local BM store. The owner said he just came back from a vaping convention in
Las Vegas in which he learn that the FDA will be requiring all e-liquid makers to be FDA certified and
meet all standards for the manufacture of food grade products. ATF to be the enforcer of the Rule/Law.
Date he was given was April 28th 2014 for this to come into effect. Also, he was told you will
no longer be able to buy pure nicotine for DIY unless you are licensed to do so. All current vendors
in the USA will be affected and must pass FDA inspection to be able to continue manufacture of

Hope I have posted in the correct location. But that's a big statement from the ower of my local BM store.

I believe this is what the FDA wants. If and when is another story. Be ready for taxes once they seize control.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Something like licensing for high level nic, and heavy taxing or regulation or both for juice vendors MAY eventually happen.
But there is NO WAY it could possibly be legislated that quickly. I actually heard a rumor that the "deeming regulation" - the FDA's recommendation - might be getting "sent back" to them. Which would be a big win - and would put any kind of decision or enforcement even farther out.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA

I don't think I would ever want to buy pure nicotine!

tencars

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Tennessee, USA
I was thinking that a regulation/Law/Rule of this nature would of surfaced with more information by now. 2 months is a short time.
But, the rumor at my local BM is being propagated by the owner and is spreading. When I asked him WHO told him this he said the E-liquid vendors he was doing business with. Since he has recently invested another $20K while at the Vegas convention to expand his business my guess is the vendors may be using a scare tactic to get him to stock up.

But, figured it best to ask here and get the knowledgeable vaping communities take on the rumor. If it is going around my local BM I bet it's it at others too..

Taxes, now I can see that coming. Best way to kill business is to tax the heck out of it.

Thanks for the honest and knowledge input folks.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I dont see this type of news being leaked. Everyone that went to the listening sessions said the FDA officials were pretty hush hush other than asking Relevant questions to Presentations. I don't believe the system works like that either. The process I would think would be much longer and more detailed.

IF THIS RULE WAS PART OF THE DEEMING REGULATIONS, I CAN ASSURE THERE WILL BE MUCH MORE NOTICE AND THE PROCESS IS FAR MORE COMPLEX.

Last edited:
The rumors here have been an April release of FDA Regs, but there's a couple different parties of opinion on what those regs will be. I will say that I was in Nashville this past wednesday at the hearing to differentiate electronic cigarettes from tobacco products and the bill was removed without warning. The Representative that we were able to talk to said that "there's other things being taken into consideration". Now, that seems pretty cryptic to me, so I guess only time will tell.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I am not so sure about plenty of notice. I will bet that this mfg got zero notice. They simply acted on what the rules that are already in place gave them the power to do. Looks that way to me anyway.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt-product-marketed-before-feb-15-2007-a.html

It has already been ordered that ecigs are classified as unregulated tobacco product.
There are many people here on ECF more well versed than myself, though, e-cigs may have been deemed, before the FDA does anything, the proposed rules have to go through the process, comment period etc...

This is just my take as a very tiny guppy in shark infested waters!

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
FDA's now posted for comment their suggested guidance on tobacco products ruled NSE. Released Feb 2014, comments period 60 days. E-cigs not specifically cited, but it may certainly provide a hint of what they plan for e-cigs...if so, it doesn't bode well. :(

Link please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread