Anybody else at work on Christmas Eve???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zara1269

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2010
Ohio
I volunteered to work Christmas Eve at the donut chain I have worked at off and on for 14 years. I love working Christmas Eve there for some odd reason. It's the only time we close at 2 pm during the year. I thought this year was going to be the first year that I could make it out the door without someone coming up to the counter, seeing the lights off, all the product thrown away, the three of us standing there with our coats on, purses in hand, and not ask us "are you guys closed?". But alas, it was not to be. Right at the last minute some guy came up and asked the dreaded questions. Every. Year.

Next year, Lord willing, I will be an RN and I plan to volunteer to work on Christmas as much as possible. It doesn't really bother me. I've heard they make it worth your while and I might as well do it as anyone. Although I heard that in most hospitals in the area competition is stiff to get to work holidays as many employees sign up b/c the money is so good. So being I will be the low kid on the totem pole I might not get to work it. We'll see.

Merry Christmas everyone!! :)

beranzo

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Yep! Worked first shift yesterday, then celebrated with my family. Today working first shift again, then go have Christmas dinner, and return to work the overnight shift tonight and first shift tomorrow. I work in a home of six developmentally disabled adults, so someone needs to be there and I can really use the overtime since my car just bit it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
yep i worked on xmas eve. i work at what i've discovered is a cliquey organic store. i covered two shifts this week, as well as played the role of "get out of work free" card in the short 3 months i've been there. i pulled a double shift between two jobs the 23rd from 10am-2:30 in the morning. i was scheduled to be back at the organic store at 7:30am on xmas eve. i was told all week that once the paperwork was caught up on, my manager slipped her L5 vertebrae and hasn't been in, that i could go if it wasn't busy since there were 4 cashiers (we only have 2 tills). apparently me asking to leave after the paperwork was done, although promised, was out of line. instead of being sent home as promised, they sent me home cuz i was in a bad mood the last two days. sure i was a little short when i heard i couldn't go home, but was friendly to all my customers and i was still socializing with the other girls.
i dunno. i guess my bad mood was interpreted by the fact i could barely keep my eyes open on till both those days. i've also heard a fair amount of gossip from my supervisor about how she didn't like how i asked or something, because she felt she had a lot of stuff to accomplish. which happens to be a get together with other coworkers that day, although i didn't finish my xmas shopping cuz i was pulling 6 shifts there that week. my manager whose shift i covered also didn't bother to say hi to me whenever she came in, so that was cool. i have my 3 month review when we all get back so merry xmas to me i guess. i also put off an important vet visit for a sick cat, and put off making a trip to get her a specific type of cat food she needs to maintain regular bowel movements off to help everyone out (she had a colon reconstruction earlier this year).
fyi i've stayed longer than required of me and come in on my day off for sick days at least twice for every person in my department, and no one would switch shifts with me for that day. and i've covered 2/4 shifts i was asked to cover that week. i'm so reliable covering shifts (in that i've only refused because i was in the middle of moving my house) that they only text me and know it'll be taken care of. so i have no idea where all this extra holiday cattiness has come. also because apparently my attitude has been so bad (i really don't think i've been behaving so horribly), my gift cards that were supposed to be rewards for turkey/gift card sales have been revoked. while unfair at least if they decide to cut my hours/get rid of me at least i have 2 other jobs to fall back on.
maybe they're finding the fact i have other jobs frustrating, but i asked if it was alright to find a job offering 2-3 days/week and if they'd be willing to be a little flexible in that regard. i asked this in my interview, and my manager agreed that it would be fine and i'd be kinda treated like a student with prior commitments. i only pull about 1-2 extra shifts a week, so i don't think in light of the weight i pull that it's asking a lot.
again, merry xmas to me, little organic store. ;>.<

Last edited:

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I worked 10hrs Christmas eve. Now i admit my job is not so important as some of yours, but i am a baker and this time of year is uber busy for me. Thankfully i am off today and get to spend the day with my family.

EVERY job is important:) I'd cry if the bakers quit:( Have a great day with your family:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread