Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hey guys. Been vaping for 10 months now. Got into DIY juice. Got some advice on here and tried 70/30 pg vg to combat shortness of breath. It only got worse. I 've been dripping and gone through about 20 ml of juice a day for 5 months at a minimum of 35 watts with direct lung hits. I think that much vaping has taken it's toll on my chest. Does anybody know how long this tootle puffing will take before I can stroll down the street without breaking into a sweat, and then lying down when I get indoors? Anybody else?

Reactions: David Wolf

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have a feeling we are going to hear a lot more stories such as this before to long. I don't think our lungs were designed to handle that much abuse. I bought a GS-AIR and tried the direct lung inhales. It definitely isn't for me. I never smoked that way so it was totally unnatural for me and it actually made my throat and lungs hurt. Hopefully, now that you are doing MTL your shortness of breath will subside.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I'd have to go along that vaping huge amounts of PG/VG/flavoring at very high wattages, sucking these vast fat clouds directly into the lungs, cannot possibly be good for breathing -- the reason I tootle puff 85% PG at 9w on a 1.7 ohm coil is because of that, and sometimes even that makes me cough, and I have to turn it down to 8.5w or even 8w.

So as for "how long," could be, forever. Remember, cigarette tobacco had a bunch of chemicals specifically put into them to make them not feel irritating to the throat or lungs, and ejuice doesn't have those chemicals, remember? And I discovered that once all those topical anesthetics were gone from my lungs (about 2-3 mos after quitting the nails), my lungs are quite sensitive to EVERYTHING. That's how they're supposed to be, to protect us! It wouldn't surprise me at all if those chemicals are one of the reasons that smoking is so bad for you, because it makes your lungs numb to other irritants, so you just go on and breathe them, when you really shouldn't.

Andria

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I had the same problem when I first got into DIY. I started making juice at 80VG/20PG and vaping like crazy, I mean why not, I had plenty on hand and getting more was going to be cheap. It wasn't long before I started having episodes where it felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen, not so much shortness of breath, but like the air I was getting wasn't effective. I had been vaping for 2.5 years at that point, I'm in good health, so I had a good idea it was the uptick in vaping coupled with upping my VG/PG from my usual 60/40 to 80/20.

I went back down to 60/40 and went back to M2L vaping, mainly to see if it helped, but I also realized I had gotten carried away with the "clouds bro" mindset. It subsided rather quickly and I haven't had any issues since. Like I said, I got carried away and forgot why I started vaping in the first place. I don't need to blow the cool clouds, just mimic a cigarette so I don't go back.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
OMG , 20ml of juice a day , thats mind boggling to me .

I have never had any breathing/shortness of breath issues with my vaping , actually it's improved greatly and i think vaping instead of smoking is the reason why.

I don't vape anywhere near that much juice though , i have heard of a few individuals who mentioned shortness of breath when vaping e juice that was loaded with diketones though , only a select few though .

I AM NOT saying diketones have anything to do with it so please folks , don't get on me about it but your flavorings are something i would look into and i might try some that are known to be diketone free just to rule it out. The vast majority of flavorings are not diketone free.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I'd have to go along that vaping huge amounts of PG/VG/flavoring at very high wattages, sucking these vast fat clouds directly into the lungs, cannot possibly be good for breathing -- the reason I tootle puff 85% PG at 9w on a 1.7 ohm coil is because of that, and sometimes even that makes me cough, and I have to turn it down to 8.5w or even 8w.

So as for "how long," could be, forever. Remember, cigarette tobacco had a bunch of chemicals specifically put into them to make them not feel irritating to the throat or lungs, and ejuice doesn't have those chemicals, remember? And I discovered that once all those topical anesthetics were gone from my lungs (about 2-3 mos after quitting the nails), my lungs are quite sensitive to EVERYTHING. That's how they're supposed to be, to protect us! It wouldn't surprise me at all if those chemicals are one of the reasons that smoking is so bad for you, because it makes your lungs numb to other irritants, so you just go on and breathe them, when you really shouldn't.

Andria

I agree, i also vape low wattage and that helps i think lol.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I have a feeling we are going to hear a lot more stories such as this before to long. I don't think our lungs were designed to handle that much abuse. I bought a GS-AIR and tried the direct lung inhales. It definitely isn'tt for me. I never smoked that way so it was totally unnatural for me and it actually made my throat and lungs hurt. Hopefully, now that you are doing MTL your shortness of breath will subside.

Honestly, and I'm sad to say it, I agree with both of you.

I have already heard of one case of someone claiming they got a specific lung related illness from e-cigs, but since I can't verify it, I'm not going to post specifics.

It really puts us in a very TOUGH place. On one hand, we don't want to contribute to mass hysteria, and make a big deal out of nothing......on the OTHER hand, we shouldn't let our love for vaping blind us to the possible health risks.

When cigarettes first came out, no one thought they were bad for you. Doctors were smoking, everyone was smoking, and it was allowed everywhere. Decades later, and we finally started to see the devastating effect cigs have on the health.

My personal opinion is that I think the artifical and natural flavors we add to our juice might be a potential culprit. We have NO IDEA how inhaling these things are going to effect us later on down the line. I'm more worried about them then the PG and VG.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thanks for replying @AndreaD I really hope your wrong though.

It may be that if you give the cloud chasing a rest for a while, you can go back to a less extreme form of it -- but listen to your body. No matter how much you want a certain thing, if your body can't tolerate it, it just can't, and there isn't a lot, if anything, that can be done about it. I definitely don't like having asthma, it really pisses me off sometimes, but the best I can do is try to exercise some control over it; when I smoked, it didn't bother me too much, but now that I don't have all those topical anesthetics to numb out my lungs... well, they definitely let me know when they're struggling, and breathing is mandatory, so I have to listen.

I'd love to "cloud chase," if only to try it, but I just can't, and that's that.

Andria

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I've been dripping and gone through about 20 ml of juice a day for 5 months at a minimum of 35 watts with direct lung hits. I think that much vaping has taken it's toll on my chest. Does anybody know how long this tootle puffing will take before I can stroll down the street without breaking into a sweat, and then lying down when I get indoors? Anybody else?

20ml/day, 35w min?

2-3ml/day, 18mg, 7-10w - mouth-to-lung; me, tootle puffing.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Yeah. I've had a good old go at it. Haven't been at work for a year so just non stop clouds all day long. I hope I'm lucky enough for this to go away in the end. Maybe i'll treat it like going out and getting really drunk. Once in a while. Not every day, all day. Thanks

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Over the last year I average about 12 mls of 65/35 a day, direct lung inhales, sub ohm, and my lung function has improved. As well as a fully clear chest CT scan on 10/05, so let's not jump on the "ohmagerbsubohm" train just yet.

I think it just depends on the particular body -- I didn't develop full-blown bronchial asthma till I was 24, but I seem to have always had the potential for it -- I never could smoke lying down on my back, it just choked me, and I never have been able to swim underwater either, not enough control of my ability to exhale. A lot of folks may have that underlying potential, but never knew about it, until they do the "extreme vaping" thing for a while.

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread