Anyone building sub-ohm coils for Kayfuns or Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
I like my drippers around .7-.8, but I like my Kayfuns around 1.2-1.6, depending on the juice I'm using.

The draw on the Kayfun is not loose enough to run super low resistance, it gets too hot of a vape, and the vape chamber is small enough that it concentrates the flavor to the point where it doesn't need super low ohm builds.

Of course, these are my opinions.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
If you want super airy draw like a dripper and low ohm builds, look at the Flash E Vapor, I've heard great things about it, but I just love my Kayfuns too much, so haven't ventured into that type of RTA. Another cool thing about the FlashE, is that it comes with 2 top caps: 1 is your tank, and the second is a dripper cap, so you can change from a tank to a dripper without disturbing your coil.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I have a couple juices that I drip in the .5/.6 range that I would like to take on the road in a tank.

Has anyone done a sub-ohm build in one of the RBA and if so how did it work out for you?
As an experiment, I've gone as low as 0.6Ω with 24 gauge in both R91% and KFL+. Very warm and a real "sizzler" - however, no issues with the positive block insulator. Not particularly better or worse flavor than my usual resistance... but warmer than I prefer.

I've settled on 27 gauge at 0.8~0.9Ω as my go-to resistance for most any RTA I own.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
You may consider a genny style atty for sub-ohm builds as well. I purchased a Pyrex RSST and built a mesh wick and coil. Now I did not go sub-ohm with it, as I built it to use on a Provari, but I did drill the airhole to 5/64. The draw on that with a wide open drip tip is as close to my 0.6 ohm Omega clone RDA as I've ever experienced.

If you look for a genny that has a plug for the fill hole and build a mesh wick that fits the wick hole well, you also don't as many leaks. But gennies being what they are, if you leave it sitting on its side for a long period of time (think long commute in you pants pocket), it will leak a bit through the enlarged airhole.

HumbleTex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Texas
I ran a .5 ohm build on a Russian briefly but it was soo hot that by the time I got the airflow opened up enough so I didn't roast my lungs there was very little flavor. Now I tend to stick between .9 and 1.4ohm. Overall, I've found that my juices tend to taste better between 1.0 and 1.4 when using a KFL, Russian or a Taifun.

YMMV.

Gonzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Marietta, GA, USA
Thanks Gonzi, I'll take a look it the Flash, sounds similar to the 3D which I just picked up.

I'll keep the 7 ohms in mind, I like the Kayfuns and would hate to trash them with two much heat.

Custard vapes nicely at the lower ohms and I want to take it on the road, a dripper just isn't an option.

Flash E is a completely different setup than a 3D. I don't know if your familiar with a Taifun GS? It works like it, but bigger scale.

3D is a hybrid of a RDA and a bottom feeder of sorts, while a Flash E is a bottom coil RTA that can also be used as a regular RDA.

Flash E is a 2 post dripper base, that has a upper tank with 2 wicks sticking out of it to make contact with your coil wicks.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I'm running 1.8 on mine also but the custards like a little more heat and I wanted to see if anyone gave it a spin. Right now I will stick with dripping, the flash looked cool but to much tinkering. I will wait until the REO is released that runs down to .5 ohms and pick one up and bottom feed at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread