Guide to Sub-Ohm Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardelite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sub-Ohm builds has been and interest of mine lately as well as a growing trend in the vaping community.
My buddy mcVape, has some great videos on vaping in general as well as sub-ohm builds. It's very important to know what you are doing when diving into sub-ohm builds and mcVapes is the guy I learned everything I know.
Check out mcVapes channel
Guild to Sub-Ohm Playlist
The Sub-Ohm playlist just started but mcVapes has two great videos up on Resistance & Air Flow and using the right batteries to match a specific build.
I highly suggest you check these videos out!

Brewmaster B

Apr 2, 2013
Chattanooga, TN, USA
I am a big fan as well. Those latest two videos are great and very informative. I'm hoping that a future video might include diagnosing and correcting any sources of load voltage drop so as to make sure your mod and atomizer are getting the fullest possible power from your battery. I only recently discovered how dramatic a drop can be because of various contacts/mod styles etc. Use a voltmeter on your atomizer posts while firing it to see what I mean. Can you help me here Mc?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i really want to get into sub-ohming. i normally vape between 7-10W but TH is a constant concern of mine and i think sub-ohms will easily solve that. i really want to step down on my nic%.

i can build a coil that vapes great bewteen 7-10W, but when i try to rock a sub-ohm on a mech, it tastes burnt. i never realized that there is some type of different building technique involved with sub ohms. or maybe my coils that i think are great really arent because when i blast em with more watts, it doesnt taste right.

it seems like more folks are doing sub-ohms on drippers rather than gennys...is that accurate? maybe im using the wrong system here...

edit: i watched the first video yesterday. what i got out of it was that basically you need a big air hole. something is wrong with my youtube and i cant get the second one to play. it just keeps jumping back to the first video :facepalm:

Last edited:

Brewmaster B

Apr 2, 2013
Chattanooga, TN, USA
I think the drippers give a much more dramatic effect from high power because of the super fast response time. Alot of that is about the wick. Silica and cotton heat up and produce vapor in the blink of an eye, as opposed to a big genesis which has ramp up time, and just in general seem to require more power to produce the same effects as a light non-metallic wick at a similar power level.

And yes, the air hole(s) is a big deal! Should be the first thing you modify before dropping below 1.2 ohms or so in my opinion. It affects your vapor more than any other small changes you can make.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
thanks bud. well, i dont have a drill (yet) but i did buy drill bits a while back for the petar k method lol. so im going to experiment around with one of my attys thats got a 1.5mm air hole and my A7, which i dont know the air hole measurement on, but its airy as HELL, so im guessing its a decent enough size. at least to get my feet wet anyway.
i also have the dream dripper (BT801 model). its got 3 air holes that are all at least 1mm so im guessing that one will be better suited for some sub ohming. ive already got 28g kanthal but ive also got some ribbon on its way so that ought help me out a bit.

Last edited:

goomok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Costa Mesa
Just my 2 cents, From my experience the VG content also plays a part in the vapor production, denser clouds. 1.5mm is ok for normal draw, some even says that is airy. Maybe becos they are not used to it. 2mm-3mm( thats the biggest i've tried and heard so far)airhole is for lung inhale draw...for those who never tried, u may try these pointers. As for dual coil, it really suck the life out of ur battery(depends on the battery, pls follow the guidelines to be safe)but a warmer vape. Guidelines and safety is the priority in sub ohm building, unless ur the type that eat firecrackers for breakfast. Vape on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread