Anyone else had their PayPal Debit Card compromised lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
I go to make an online purchase today using my PayPal account only to have it 'declined' when it should have 'more than sufficiently' been approved. I log-in to PayPal only to discover TWO payments to CRAIGSLIST ORG CA in the amounts of $25.00 each (for a total of $50.00), and one $3.95 payment to a SEGPAYCS.COM*RED ROCK LAS VEGAS NV! "Who", I ask you, would even 'bother' to 'steal' $3.95 I ask you? :evil:

Well, called PayPal and they instructed me as to what I had to do; basically had to report my PayPal debit card as 'stolen' and had to request to have a new debit card issued... (a pain, but necessary) and I 'selected' to 'remove' my primary (real-life) Bank that I used to 'back up' my PP account. Can't afford to have these thieves steal my Husband's hard earned cash also!

* Has anyone else had something 'similar' happen to them lately?...

I'm really becoming PARANOID about doing Business online anymore!... I mean, I use my PayPal account to pay for EVERYTHING online... and lately, I've been using it for OVERSEAS transactions (China & the UK)... along with transactions here in the US.
I guess I should count my blessings... it was only a little over $50 bucks that was stolen... and it's looking good that I'll get that back.. but GOD! What 'if' I hadn't discovered the transactions as soon as I had?
Really scary stuff...

anyone else?:oops:

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
If you don't have it already, get some software to check you computer for keylogger viruses....

I have SpyBot S&D... and a Firewall too...

Still.... that's X-cellant advice....

I'll do a scan tonight (just to be sure)

Thank you for this suggestion.... ;)

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Not a big McAfee guy. I use CCleaner, Spybot, IObit, Belarc, & avasti

Good one on the first 2, haven't tried the other :) I also recommend AVG Internet security and if you really want to drop a virus/rootkit/nasties clearing bomb on your computer, especially one that may be heavily infected give Combofix a try, available free from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix read the instructions first, its not as user friendly as most programs but really does the trick on everything I have tried it on!

Cielo

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Florida
"Who", I ask you, would even 'bother' to 'steal' $3.95 I ask you?

There is a logical explanation to this. My bank told me a few weeks ago that bank/credit card fraud is done by the thief's first charging a few dollars to make sure the account is good. Then they hit you for the big purchases soon after. My bank now has a policy that all small transactions such as your 3.95 are an automatic decline if the "purchase" is phone or internet based.

Im really glad you caught this before they were able to do any significant damage.

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
Your recommending Combofix for someone who isn't scumware aware. May do more damage than good. Give Avast a shot. I've used it for several years. Usually rates higher than AVG and is a whole heck of a lot less resource intensive. Also free.

Good one on the first 2, haven't tried the other :) I also recommend AVG Internet security and if you really want to drop a virus/rootkit/nasties clearing bomb on your computer, especially one that may be heavily infected give Combofix a try, available free from We are sorry for the temporary outage. read the instructions first, its not as user friendly as most programs but really does the trick on everything I have tried it on!

Lab

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Indiana
e-cigdecals.weebly.com
i used to play around with a lot of keyloggers.. and run tests on them all the time to see how long until they where detected.. most would last me a month some would take 3 months to be picked up since they where custom made..

surprisingly AVG a free program was usually the first to detect them. kaspersky also detected them fast..

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Your recommending Combofix for someone who isn't scumware aware. May do more damage than good. Give Avast a shot. I've used it for several years. Usually rates higher than AVG and is a whole heck of a lot less resource intensive. Also free.

Avast is a good one too, got a few customers with it and they are very happy! AVG is better now it is 9.0, it has the anti - rootkit however, the free version will not cut it anymore and the Avast free version also doesn't seem to do much good these days!! :( I have never used Cobofix and it did damage so its worth a try as a last resort!!

But whatever you choose let us hope you and your computer are happy and safe to fight another day!!!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
After a great deal of investigating I foud out Norton is a good antivirus and so is Kasperski. I personally use Kasperski and back it up with malwarebytes. I am on sites all the time with viruses trying to attack but have been well pleased with Kasperski. It's a little pricey but well worth the money. As stated earlier Avast has a free program that is great.

M & M

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Central U. S. A.
If you think you have a virus download Malwarebytes and scan you pc with it. There isn't a virus made that program can't find and neutralize. I only use it to scan not for antivirus protection and they have a free version.

Yes there is. I just had one. Used it about a half dozen virus checker programs and none of them found it. This computer had to be dumped and reloaded.
Working fine now.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread