Anyone else start ecigs like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe

Feb 22, 2012
louisiana
Im 25 years old and smoked a half a pack to a 3/4 a pack a day off and on for about 7 years. Like on and off meaning i would be smoking for a full year and then not smoke for a full year so if i combined my total years of smoking id probably say about 4 years or so.

Anyway when I first started ecigs, i was not smoking analogs for maybe 8 months or so. I just wanted nicotine, I see alot of people that start ecigs to try to come off of analogs. My question is did any of you just want to start smoking an ecig for nicotine that hasnt been smoking analogs for a while? i feel like im the odd ball lol.:blush:

P.S. if i didnt find ecigs, i would have went back to american spirits probably and im glad i didnt half to because of the "fire safe chemical" in the paper and the smoke and tar was making me sick...

throwback

Feb 16, 2012
United States
Although I didn't start exactly like you, I would say my case was similar. I was never a PAD smoker or anything. Depending on what was going on, and how stressed I was, I would smoke anywhere from just one a day, to 15+ a day. The nicotine was always just nice, but I could go without it. As a result, I found it hard to just flat out "quit" without maybe just having one or two. E-cigs are what finally gave me the nicotine that I was use to when things were stressful, without the harmful effects of cigs.

So although I didn't start exactly like you, I can definitely relate to just wanting that nicotine effect, stress relief, etc.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
When I worked in retail, I had a few ex-smokers come in and get 0nic set ups. One lady in particular that I remember...she was in her 60's and had smoked for most of her life. She managed to quit smoking on her own, but found that she didn't know what to do with her hands so she got a 0nic ecig just to keep her occupied lol.

Damper

Feb 22, 2012
Norway
I went straight from 20 a day to vaping - I enjoyed vaping from the very first day, and have had half a pack of analogs sitting untouched in my kitchen cupboard for the last three weeks.

I do particually like the fact that i can occupy my hands with the ecig just like an analog, and I also find the time spendt refilling cartos and mixing flavours quite enjoyable!

My husband quit smoking three years ago, but he has taken quite an intrest in my vaping devices. He is now talking about ordering an e-cigar as a weekend treat for himself :)

I'm in a similar situation to you - I smoke anywhere from 8-15 cigarettes a day - but I've never been able to completely quit (even when pregnant - serious guilt there, let me tell you!). My doctor has told me that I'm not technically "addicted" to nicotine in the traditional sense, but addicted to the behavior and stress relief. As a stay at home/work at home mom, my smoke breaks are the only 5 minutes I get during the day where I can escape the kids for a few minutes. Even my bathroom breaks are accompanied by at LEAST one child. Not fun.

My kit should come in the mail either tomorrow or Monday (I'm praying for tomorrow, so hubby and I can get used to it for a few days before the work week starts). I'll let y'all know then how switching from analogs to vaping goes for me.

So darn excited, though! After 15+ years of analogs, my health is finally starting to become seriously affected, and I need to be around for a long time.

Hi,
I saw your post and thought I'd reply. Hope I understand what you mean :D I just started with the ecigs about a week ago. I smoked a pack of Salem light 100s for 20yrs or so and felt my health was going downhill. It's been a week and I still want the occasional cigarette. I think the nicotine is what's helping me stay away as well as I am. I've had about 1 cig a day since I've started and am pretty positive that I'll stop totally. Luck to you!

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
I quit smoking in July 2010 cold turkey after smoking 1 PAD for 40 years. Although I had no desire or craving to start smoking cigs again, I strongly felt that my personality and mental health was different during the period I was not smoking. I consciously decided in August 2011 to start vaping for the nicotine.

I am now back to what I consider my normal self and have no intention of quitting vaping. I currently vape 24mg and may lower that. I have been thinking of making my next DIY batch 18mg, but have no reservations about going back to 24mg if I should choose.

My personal opinion is that nicotine is not harmful in itself. It is the chemicals in cigs that are killing you.

Malawi

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
Norway
The best way to stop is to get a pack of American Spirit (yellow box) cigarette. It is made from addictive free tobacco.
I smoke one in the morning,than only e-cigs...

Additive free, not addictive free... :2cool:

But then again, I have read some posts on this forum where users claim that American Spirit has even more additives than regular cigarettes. Not sure what is true.

But one cig is a lot better than a pack - no matter what brand. :)

geekswife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Bartlesville, OK
Scythe, welcome to ECF!

My husband and I both went directly from smoking a PAD to vaping, however, we're setting my mom up with a PV for something similar to your story. She has smoked off and on for the past 35 years. She was never a PAD smoker, but would go days, weeks, YEARS between smoking. Then she'd buy a pack. Sometimes she'd chain-smoke them. Sometimes that one pack would last her a week. Then she'd either buy another pack or she'd not smoke again for days, weeks, years, LOL.

She's coming to visit in a couple of weeks and we're going to let her try a PV & get her set up for those moments when she thinks she may want a cig. She hasn't had an analog since December now (since my sister had her baby), but we all know that the urge will hit her sooner or later & we want her to be prepared. In our case, it just tasted so much better to vape than to smoke those nasty analogs. I think it will be the same for her (as it is most people).

It's always better to have the supplies there just in case.. I think. :)

Don't feel like an oddball. Everyone's situation is different & your willingness to share your story will probably help someone else in a similar situation. Enjoy your journey into the world of vaping!

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Nah that's not odd.

I've seen a few people in recent weeks that started ecigs without currently being smokers. As long as its not hurting anyone then cool.

I hear ya about fire safe chemical.
They put it into cigarettes here in oz after some of the worst bushfires on record happened here few years ago and I had to switch brands too. Nasty stuff. Makes you wonder what else they add as part of the secret recipe.

bassworm

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
My transition was a bit different, I started off with giving the gas station 10.00 ecig a go last winter so I didnt have to freeze my bum to enjoy that smoking sensation, I did still smoke while vaping on those, just not as much, but by the time went to get my 3rd 10.00 cheapy I was already ordering my first slimline 510 kit - once I got the kit and the juice, I went straight to vaping, I only smoked between about 7 - 10 cigs a day unless I was out drinking and playing pool or what not.

niasyn

Feb 2, 2012
DC
I went from Analogs to nothing, then to Snus for a while but it's very hard to get good Snus in the US. A friend recently quit analogs and let me try his Blu, I saw potential! Now I've got an indulgence v3 and several 510s, also recently got a VV Ego. I did have have to learn the hard way about high count nic juice, over doing it on nicotine sucks!

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Additive free, not addictive free... :2cool:

But then again, I have read some posts on this forum where users claim that American Spirit has even more additives than regular cigarettes. Not sure what is true.

But one cig is a lot better than a pack - no matter what brand. :)

+1 on that! I was rolling my own with additive free bulk tobacco and, believe me, it was definitely not non-addictive!!
That said, the additives seem to make you want to smoke more. I smoked 2-1/2 to 3 PAD of Winstons and immediately dropped to about 2 packs when I started RYO. A RYO would satisfy me for a lot longer time than a Winston. Or maybe it had more nicotine? I dunno. I do know that there are additives that make you crave another cigarette faster.

I had "quit" using nicotine gum for about 4 mos before starting on ecigs. The gum got me through work.... But then Friday would come around and they rarely cut it for going out drinking, relaxing at home, or any of the other "fun" triggers that got me. I smoked a pack a day for about 6 yrs with several unsuccessful (and expensive) bout of attempting to stop on the gum. So far the ecig DOES IT! I have yet to even consider an analog since I started 2 was ago. Yay! :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread