Anyone else wary when ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcleaver

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
Palatine, IL
I have found that some juices I really liked when I first get them, end up not being so good after a few weeks. As an example for me, I had bought some Honeydew from madvapes and i loved it. Now, a couple of weeks later, I can still taste what I liked in it; but it just tears my throat up. It hurts to vape it. I had also bought some Fried Apple that i loved, and thought that it would be my goto vape, however, now it doesn't taste as good. It doesn't hurt like the Honeydew does, at least.

So now, i am very wary of any juice that tastes good out of the box, so to speak.

Is this normal?

jcleaver

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
Palatine, IL
I don't think so. I get the same hit whether it is an atomizer or cartomizer. New or used. No other flavor is doing that. It is conceivably possible that the juice just went bad, but I would have thought the shelf life would have been longer than a few weeks. The Fried Apple change may very well be my taste buds changing, but the Honeydew isn't. It is sort of like sandpaper on my throat now. The taste is still good, though.

I should add that i have found most flavors improve over time. For instance, I had ordered Caramel Tobacco from Bluemist based on several posts here, and ordered the largest size since it was on sale. At first I tought I had made a mistake, but now i love it.

Last edited:

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Your taste in juice can and does change and while fortunately juice changes after some steeping time are most often for the better to your taste buds, steeping doesn't always make a juice taste better. I've run across a couple that I liked before steeping and afterwards were way to sweet for my taste.

A juice that was fine on my throat in the beginning and weeks later felt like it was tearing my throat up doesn't fit the criteria for a simple steeping change but something else going on. It its a different blend then you normally vape(example 90pg/10vg) it could be you have developed a problem to the mixture that you didnt previously have but if the blend is what you normally vape all the time and have no problem with any other juice with the same blend and its your usual nic level then more likely a not so good change has taken place and you're better off getting rid of it. Won't happen often but it can happen.

guitardedmark

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.myspace.com
The more your vape, the more you will develop a tolerance for TH and nic. Maybe when you first got the juice you were vaping a lot so the TH wasn't as strong and then you stopped vaping as much and when you went back it felt like more. This happened to me for awhile until I realized that there is a tolerance for TH and nic that builds up. Usually the TH "tolerance" wont last more than a day though so if I don't vape as much, the next day it will be a lot lower. Also, make sure you drink a TON of water and keep your throat moist. If I'm going to chain vape I usually have a thicker beverage that I sip on to coat my throat from getting dried out by the PG and VG. I usually do tea with honey, hot cocoa, or coffee. Eggnog works amazing too :)

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
What Mark said.
Also, try taking the draw into your mouth. Fill your mouth up with the vapor, stop taking the draw, then draw it down your throat and into your lungs. Your throat may be having trouble getting used to having all that vapor drawn straight over it. Your mouth will moisten it a little bit.
And like Mark said, WATER. Drink some WATER. Then drink a bit more water.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I've had that happen more than once. I really liked a juice that was made fresh. Right out of the mailbox it was good. I filled a couple carto's and was a happy camper. When the carto's ran out of juice, I refilled them. I took a hit and had to check the bottle to be sure it was the same. It had totally changed into a flavor that I really couldn't vape. I don't want to say which supplier I got it from because they do sell quality juice. It's just that I didn't like what the juice had become after some steep time. I had this happen to another juice as well, but it was a marginal flavor to start with. It just turned unvapable. IMO.
I use only carto's at this time. When I used atty's and carts, I had several occasions that the flavor turned bad because of the atty's. After changing the atty or cleaning the same one I used, the juice that I thought had turned bad began to shine again
I try to keep my hardware simple these days. I use Carto's and a Tornado/ Ego. I stopped with HV and LR atty's, dripping. The less gear in the mix seems to have less hassles and makes vaping to me more enjoyable. I got so ...... one time, I threw a good set of hardware off my boat when I was fishing. Ya think I need anger managment class? I just got fed up with getting burnt taste and juice leaking all over. Leaking, burning taste, still happens now and then, but nothing like I was getting. The Ego extra large carto's seem to help with those issues.
Dave

jcleaver

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
Palatine, IL
I really think it is the juice that went bad. I haven't changed my amount or way of vaping, which is to draw into mouth first. No other juice i have does this, even those that i got earlier. I am also drinking a lot of water. I just wasn't sure if the TH got worse over time or not normally. As mentioned before, the taste is still good.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
An atomizer has a seperate catridge with filler in it that you put the liquid in. (Or it come pre-filled.) Or you can just drip directly on the heater wire coil.
A cartomizer has the filler built around the stomizer coil so it's just one piece that you put the liquid in (or it comes pre-filled) or you can just drip in it to wet the filling.

Atomizer 3 piece unit (including battery)
Cartomizer 2 piece unit (including battery)

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I buy *a lot* of TopVapor juice from MadVapes including Fried Apple and Honeydew and while both "taste" different than they did when I first tried them, I've never had any "go bad" or "spoil". I typically buy 60-120 ml bs of Fried Apple and 30 ml bottles of Honeydew at a shot which gives them both plenty of time to develop a bad taste if the juice itself were the issue.

It's possible that you may have gotten some overly-aged juice but based on my experience, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on changing taste buds and your throat healing and becoming more more sensitive due to the absence of the toxic chemicals in tobacco that have numbed both over the years.

And I'll reiterate what Mark and PrincessDee said: water, water water; it is just as important as hardware and juice and you CANNOT drink enough when you start vaping.

Hope things get better for you.

Last edited:

xg4bx

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2010
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
I buy *a lot* of TopVapor juice from MadVapes including Fried Apple and Honeydew and while both "taste" different than they did when I first tried them, I've never had any "go bad" or "spoil". I typically buy 60-120 ml bs of Fried Apple and 30 ml bottles of Honeydew at a shot which gives them both plenty of time to develop a bad taste if the juice itself were the issue.

It's possible that you may have gotten some overly-aged juice but based on my experience, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on changing taste buds and your throat healing and becoming more more sensitive due to the absence of the toxic chemicals in tobacco that have numbed both over the years.

And I'll reiterate what Mark and PrincessDee said: water, water water; it is just as important as hardware and juice and you CANNOT drink enough when you start vaping.

Hope things get better for you.

i agree. if youre new to vaping its probably just your throat tissues healing which would make things feel much more harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread