Anyone have directions for 'etching' painted metal batts/cones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I'm interested in the idea of 'etching' my batteries and cones for eGo. Someone mentioned it in a thread, and now i'm fascinated by the idea, but can't find directions anywhere. Only directions I found were for a complex copper/salt water emulsion thing which clearly isn't an option with batteries. ;)

Anyone have any experience or images they can post where this was done well? And tools I'd need? I figure theres gotta be some kind of metal etching wand that exists, right?

Any ideas or directions or photos or whatever, I'd love it! I'm intrigued with the idea of etching mehndi designs into my components, as such... and I know I can get mehndi stencils, I just don't know how to etch the designs into the components. Thanks so much!
Bridal-Mehndi-Designs.jpg

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
well you could do a cheap glass etching method,,simply dip the parts in hot wax ,,several times if need be,,till you have 100% coverage,,then simply scrape the wax off with a pic or similar tool
when you have the design you want,,dip it into the appropriate acid,,since i don't know what the metal is i can't tell you which acid would be best ??

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yep, the acid methods are the only things I keep coming across. And I'll definitely try that with other stuff because it does sound so intriguing... but what I wanna etch is batteries and cones, so I'm thinking probably acid bath is out. ;) I found this thing called the "Inscriblio" which is a battery operated etching wand for glass, metal, leather. I've seen a few quick uses of it in videos on youtube. Might give this a whirl. BTW, Congrats on tomorrow! 10 days smoke free! Woot! You should be getting your tastebuds and smells back soon...that's always fun! lol Anyway, good luck with the vaping! And pat yourself on the back. Getting off the butts is no easy task!
EK Success Inscriblio Engraving Tool | MisterArt.com

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Ooh, I'm a big Escher fan! Can't wait to see that one! I'll definitely keep ya'll updated, but for right now I'm focusing on decorating the Ego kits I'm giving two friends for xmas, so I'll be working on those first. BUT eventually I'll figure out the etching thing, promise! Did you see the link for that Inscriblio thing I left in post above? That's probably what i'm gonna get to etch mine, if you wanna pass that for your son. Really excited to see his artwork on his ego. I've got zero ability to do freehand art... I only play digitally. So jealous of people with actual real world ability to draw. And Escher style practically requires you to be an engineer to pull it off. lol

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
i hope you get it all figured out. you might ask in classifieds if anyone has any dead ego batts they would be willing to donate to you so you can experiment.
just for kicks and giggles here is a styrofoam plate he jacked with for about 30 minutes the other night with sharpie and hated but i thought it was decent. i know its nothing that could easily go on a small mod but ive seen some of the smaller intricate work he does so i wouldnt put it by him. i will have him look at that link.
styroplatedrawing001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread