Status
Not open for further replies.

silentdoom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
MO
I took off the cap after a week or two of use to look at the coil. After using stardusts, cartos, attys and everything else, I was surprised to see an ungunked coil and a nearly perfect wick. The wick was just stained with juice, which I think is great!!! But what's this piece of cotton(?) in surrounding the cup? I guess it aids in juice delivery, but it is charred pretty bad. Parts of my coil were off the wick and maybe touching this(my guess). Just wondering if it's okay to remove this piece. I did and it tastes wonderful but am I hurting anything? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345927441.198953.jpg

Next question, I bought some cotton wick off of amazon(bees wax or something. Saw it in a nova rebuilding video). What else should I buy. I hear I need wire plus nr wire. What's everyone's suggestions? I'm ordering today so it's here during the week! Thanks everyone

silentdoom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
MO
Just bought some 32 ga kanthal wire off of eBay. 12.99 for 100'. It seems to be what people recommend. #1/0 cotton braid candle wick also on order. Double over the legs to prevent hot legs. Am I missing anything? How long does everyone make the legs before putting it into the cup? That's the only part I see as tricky. Do you just break off the legs if they are too long? Thanks

xiceman6005x

Oct 11, 2012
texas
i got 75' of 32 nicrome wire for 5 bux and some 100% cotton yarn at a hobby store for 3 bux. its very easy to rebuild and i dont reuse that sleeve. just make sure you boil the cotton for roughly 15-20 mins to remove the impurities and dry it out. DO NOT dry burn the cotton wick or it will burn up and make sure it ALWAYS has juice on it. and when you get the coil rebuilt, make sure you ohm out the head before using. you want it to be around 2.0-2.4 ohms for best results

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Personally, I wouldn't use cotton. You can't dry-burn cotton……and the heads last months if you dry burn them when they need cleaning (plus rinsing off all the other parts). Changing a head every few days seems a lot less preferable to dry burning, even if you're building them yourself.

SS Mesh works really well, though it's a bit fiddly. The other advantage there is that the wicks theoretically last longer than coils……so you can re-use wicks as long as they're clean. And the one I've made just seems to never gunk up except right at the coil……which is solved by a simple dry burn every couple times you vape the tank dry.

Also, I don't use the fiberglass sleeve. On brand new heads, I'll leave it in there for a few days……basically until it gets charred. Then I hold the wicks against the body of the head and pull out the sleeve with tweezers. I've damaged a head or two doing it that way, but I've also gotten them out cleanly. AFAI can tell, they're completely pointless as long as you're using a PV with protection and don't do anything stupid (like tugging on a wick) that would short out the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread