Vivi nova coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
Anyone know what wire is used in vision vivi novas?
I'm having somewhat issues with recoiling. Used Pbusardo guide and coil/wick that he listed in comments.
I'm fairly sure original coil is thinner than A1 32awg. Vape quality is much better with original vs the ones I made :(
And the base of vivi gets really hot when vaping on my coils... I can see burn marks on rubber piece...
Also firing up coils issue. They glow instantly on "base" before they reach wick, then it's like ~2 seconds till they start to lit up...
Used original wire and it works perfectly... I mean I took apart one head and preserved coil, just replaced wick and wrapped coil around it :) Works flawlessly this way...

I think short version would be - what's best wire to use for recoiling vivi.

My theory is that I'm making too low resistance with this wire and need to make it to 2.5 range.

Last edited:

BWhare

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Indiana
I've just started playing with vivi heads. I'm using 32 kanthal (thanks Eric) and about 3 mm silica wick (using 2 mm with 2 strands stripped out, doubled to equal 3 mm). I found that the wick diameter was the problem child. Once I got it down to 3 mm, a 4/3 wrap would give me about 2.2 ohms. My most recent variation was a 6/5 wrap which produced something really high initially but it dropped down.

The main thing I noticed was dropping the voltage brought the whole thing back to what the initial vivi was producing - well, kinda - without dropping the volts, it was burning - after dropping, it was producing huge clouds.

As for taste... I can't help. Apparently I have no taste buds left after 45 years of smoking. I know what tastes like the output of the west end of an east facing animal and I avoid it, but nothing actually tastes really good because of my dead buds - I aim for what doesn't taste like the west end...

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
On a 3mm wick, 32 AWG kanthal should be perfect, and give you around 2-2.5 ohms with 5 wraps, you may even need 6 wraps. 4 wraps of 34AWG gets you around 3 ohms.

Make sure your wraps are evenly spaced and as uniform as possible to avoid hot spots. there are a lot of good vids on how to make a coil, but not so much on how to "tune" it... And you should always use a meter, or an APV that can measure the resistance of your attachment.

Don't give up! Once you master this you can save yourself a lot of money!

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
If the legs are glowing that fast then you have a short. Check your coil spacing and make sure that nothing it touching the wall of the head.

I have modded my VN heads, so it may take some fiddling to work right, but you might try wrapping your coil on a drill bit and then pulling the wick through. I use cotton yard and just double it over and pull it through with an eyelet make of 30g kanthal.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
this thread is relevant to my interests.

thanks for the pointers. I've managed to avoid shorts after my initial ill-fated attempt but my heads are all turning out low-resistance to the tune of about 1.8. I preferred the 2.4 heads myself and I'm trying to replicate that as best I may.

The ones i've recoiled will generally last a tank but no longer.

smbray

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
OKC,OK
this thread is relevant to my interests.

thanks for the pointers. I've managed to avoid shorts after my initial ill-fated attempt but my heads are all turning out low-resistance to the tune of about 1.8. I preferred the 2.4 heads myself and I'm trying to replicate that as best I may.

The ones i've recoiled will generally last a tank but no longer.

you could just do more wraps that would give you a higher resistance, or go to a thinner wire.I use 32 gauge kanthal a1 and 2.5mm wick and sometimes SS mesh wick,

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
In any case i need one of those ohm-o-meters. I bought an itaste specifically to test the resistance of the vivi nova heads i'm rebuilding, but i reckon with the silly magnetic adapter it's all coming out wrong.

Says 3.5 no matter what. BUT it warn me of a short when my coil slipped to the side to touch the barrel so it's not a complete crapshoot.

smbray

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
OKC,OK
In any case i need one of those ohm-o-meters. I bought an itaste specifically to test the resistance of the vivi nova heads i'm rebuilding, but i reckon with the silly magnetic adapter it's all coming out wrong.

Says 3.5 no matter what. BUT it warn me of a short when my coil slipped to the side to touch the barrel so it's not a complete crapshoot.

you want to make sure and pull the wire tight and to different sides to insure they don't short to each.figured I would also add a tip on wrapping your coil.get a straight pin to run parallel with the wick while you wrap the coil,it'll make the wick more rigid so that is easier to wrap a nice tight coil.wrap the coil real tight around the wick and straight pin then when done slide the straight pin out and the coil won't be to tight on the wick

Last edited:

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
you can also use NR .999 dead soft silver for the legs and just the kanthal for the coil that should stop the burning rubber.I have also seen were people will twist the kanthal on the legs to give the legs a lower resistance and the coil itself will be the single wire

I've tried both methods in the early stages of rebuilding the VN. I found it really didn't make a difference for me and was more trouble that it was worth. Once you get it right...it's right, and I've never burned a grommet.

But I also use 30g kanthal @ 1.4-1.6 ohms on an mech mod with fairly short drags that wont let the legs heat up too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread