Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
so the 510 center pin on my legend isn’t moving. Not sure how long it’s been this way. With prying I can get it to move up enough to connect to my atty so apparently it’s still functional in all other ways.

The issue is it seems the 510 connector is under a Delrin plate that looks like it’s held on with 4 torx screws.

Anyone taken one of these plates off? I want to fix the pin not destroy the watertightness of the device.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
image.jpg
Unless GV has changed the bill of materials with later batches, the top plate is metal on my 2 Legends
Maybe they did then. Mine certainly feels like delrin complete with milling grooves. I suppose it might be aluminum though.
. DJLsb took one apart but broke it during the process. He mentioned everything is glued!

Why the need to take it apart?
Autism probably. I like things that work the way they are supposed to. A broken 510 pin annoys me conceptually. I feel driven to fix it.

If it’s a mass of glue under there though it sounds like a potential nightmare. Those little torx screws on the top are staying where they are. I got a couple years of basically totally faultless operation out of it though and it still works so I guess I’m ahead.

Thank you for the reply btw :)
That report about all the glue may have saved me a major headache

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Maybe squirt a very small amount of WD40 in the 510 pin?.
Not sure that's a good idea. WD40 leaves behind a residue that can make it worse after it dries up and gets tacky. If anything, I would try something like rubbing alcohol. There could be some old juice residue on the pin restricting its movement.

70olds

May 10, 2019
Northern Virginia
@bombastinator, been looking into this somewhat and trying to work out something.

An unconventional idea I've had is to put it in a heated ultrasonic cleaner with only Distilled Water. It may work, it may not.
Hello,
While the Aegis Legend is waterproof, the ultrasonic action might make the seals fail.

Hot soapy water. ;)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Or just buy a new one. I understand we all love to save a buck or 2 but sometimes we just gotta let that broken device go. How much time, effort and cost is needed to attempt to fix it with no guarantee’s of a successful outcome, or one that will last. A years use, the device has already payed for itself.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I'd try taking the screws out and gently trying to lift the plate if it feels like it'll break give up and put the screws back in. Mind you if it's waterproofed then it is likely assembled with some sealant ran around any joints...that's more likely than the presence of glue...

Mind you silicone sealant does do a damned good impression as one of the strongest glues you could ever deal with....

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
DJLsb is a little heavy handed when he rips things apart anyway.

Take it apart and fix it and not worry about the IP67 rating... I'd rather have a usable mod than one that doesn't work properly. None of my other 19 mods have IP67 ratings and I have a perfectly good working iPV2s that sat in a cup holder 1/2 full of coffee for 10 minutes one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread