Anyone try NICHROME Wire for rebuilding the Protank??

Status
Not open for further replies.

M_DuBb716

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Hey guys, has anyone tried using Nichrome Wire instead of Kanthal or SS Mesh, for rebuilding a ProTank coil?? I've been wanting to try my hand at rebuilding my PT coils for awhile now, and finally grabbed some 2mm Silica Wick last week with my DV purchase, but they didn't have Kanthal.. Today I checked out a new B&M in my town, and asked about rebuilding, and he said that Nichrome wire is a lot better than Kanthal, and that I should try that for rebuilding my coils (he didn't have Kanthal)

So I bought a foot of Nichrome for a buck $.. I asked him if I should get a specific gauge or thickness, and he said he only carried the one size I got, but there is another size of Nichrome that would up the resistance too high..

Now I'm sitting here with 2 feet of 2mm Silica wick and a foot of Nichrome wire, in front of me.. The wire seems pretty thin but I'll see how it works, I'm sure it will take a few tries since it's my 1st rebuilding attempt, but I have a lot of bunk PT coils for practice. I'm hoping the Nichrome/Silica performs well and doesn't taste weird or anything - the main reason I want to rebuild my PT is for better performance, more/thicker vapor, better flavor (than the stock coils).
.... All advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

landman2k1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
McKinney, Texas
I've just started rebuilding my PT coils as well. One thing I have found is that you need to put the "flavor wick" on top, otherwise it will flood. I also had it pop juice at me a couple of time before I put the top wick on. You want the wick to loosely fill up the little side holes when you press the rubber grommet back down on the post. This weekend I was experimenting and decided to double the wick over and then wrap the coils. This gave me enough wick to fill up the holes, which meant I didn't have to use a top wick. So far, no popping or flooding, and I am getting tons more flavor. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread