Are my new AW Batteries Fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnesia1187

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Hello all, so I just received a few new AW batteries, and I'm a bit concerned that they are fakes as they look completely different than the pair of 18490s that I already own.

s0qigzgl.jpg

As you can see, size wise they are the same, but the labeling is almost completely different. The one with all the recycling labels and made in China came from ProVape, the other is the new one from another vendor. The AW sticker is a bit bigger on the new ones and the font on the labels is somewhat different.

The top caps are fairly similar (it is a button top) but are not quite the same:

dhUjqgXl.jpg

However the bottom caps are different, the original protrudes slightly form where the wrapper meets the cap, the new ones are totally flat so the bottom is almost slightly recessed:

S8DjWoil.jpg

I also ordered some 18650s from the same vendor and they have the same characteristics:

jMhfkqvl.jpg

Could these still be real? or should I be worried?

Amnesia1187

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Bleh... That's gonna be a bummer if they are fake, I bought 2 18490s and 4 18650s. They were only $9 each, so its not like the end of the world, but still sucks. Gonna do more research before I name the vendor as I wouldn't want to give them undue flak if they are in fact genuine, but I'm thinking they aren't.

Out of curiosity I stuck one of them on my VP1 charger, and this could certainly could be a fluke, but with my 2 batteries I got from provape, they charge to 4.2 and then drop to 4.19 when done. This battery charged to 4.2 and then dropped to 4.18. Certainly could just be a coincidence, but the 2 I already have have been extremely consistent in this regard.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Bleh... That's gonna be a bummer if they are fake, I bought 2 18490s and 4 18650s. They were only $9 each, so its not like the end of the world, but still sucks. Gonna do more research before I name the vendor as I wouldn't want to give them undue flak if they are in fact genuine, but I'm thinking they aren't.

Out of curiosity I stuck one of them on my VP1 charger, and this could certainly could be a fluke, but with my 2 batteries I got from provape, they charge to 4.2 and then drop to 4.19 when done. This battery charged to 4.2 and then dropped to 4.18. Certainly could just be a coincidence, but the 2 I already have have been extremely consistent in this regard.

If you determine with absolute certainty, I'd contact the vendor and request a full refund. If not certain, call the vendor and have a chat... see what they have to say about your suspicions.

1 one-hundredth of a volt is... nothing to get too spun up about. :)

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Any cheap new battery will probably charge to near 4.2V. But it is how long they last and if they are real IMRs.

Those types of batteries have been showing up at various vendors, and other sites have noticed the differences also. It is not just the wording on the sides either. It is mainly what you showed. The tops and bottoms of the batteries are different. All the ones suspected of being fake, showed the larger black area around the positive pin. The bottom negative area was not raised.

One person took his back to the vendor, and they knew they were not real AWs. He got his money back, but they did not pull the batteries from the shelf.

Fake AW batteries?

I brought this to the attention of one online vendor, and he acted real concerned. Sent me an email, asked me to call him and discuss it with him. I called 3 times, never got anything but a recorded message, left messages, and never got a call back.

I would return the batteries, tell them you don't think these are real, show them your old ones, and ask for a refund. Go in sometime later, and if they are still selling those batteries, don't frequent the shop anymore, and tell your friends.

Greg W.

PS. Here are few of the China companies selling AW batteries on the Alibaba web site. These all have different looking AW batteries.

These look like the right ones. But again this is just a picture, and could be cut and pasted. You don't know til you get the batteries.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1312345297/2000mAH_High_Capacity_rechargeable_3_7v.html

Not even close.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1354145959/aw_18650_battery_aw_imr_18490.html

Like the ones you bought.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1137746147/3_7v_2000mah_AW_IMR_18650.html

Looks good, but the fonts are different and the AW sticker is off.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1354133843/AW_18650_battery.html

Last edited:

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Bought a pair of 18650s from a supposedly trusted vendor. They exhibit similar characteristics to yours, Amnesia, except that the AW stickers are smaller, and the batteries are exactly 1mm larger than the AWs I got from a vendor that are known to be supplied directly from AW itself. Emailed them now. I will try to follow through with details.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
All my AW branded batteries have the same characteristics as the ones you think are dodgy.
Mine came from different vendors and work as i would expect them to. After 9 months of use they all charge to 4.2V.
My 18650's give me around 30 hours heavy vaping on a ProV at 5v with a SR carto. My 18490's give me 12-14 hours run time.
I wouldn't panic just yet (although they do sound very cheap).

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Forgive me moderators!

I deal with Hoi Wan, commonly known as Andrew Wan AKA Mr AW exclusively. It is time to lay this matter to rest. I have both types of batteries wrt inscriptions, with or without raise bottom and correct inscriptions etc...

I have old stock all attributes with the exception of descriptions e.g CE, ROHS, recyclable etc... that have raised bottoms. I also have new batteries with flat bottoms and proper inscriptions. These are all genuine AW products.

As many folks know AW batts are Panasonics. What does AW stand for? QA. AW batts are the most dimensionally stable batts in the industry!

AW batts were on the scene before vapers made them popular. Vaping is not their bread and butter, regardless of what some folks may think. They are not about to jeopardize their market for a few vapers. Yes I know we are millions but peanuts compared to the flashlight/torch industry.

Reputable vendors get their batts from "the man". If a deal is too good to be true "alibaba", Fasttech" then stay away from it. Reputable wholesalers do not deal with customers of third line parties.

As stated I apologized in advance, in breaking forums vendor's rules. However, since the moderating team have been unable to answer this question, as a responsible vendor I feel it my obligation to lay matters to rest.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
So Pray Tell, where do vendors or vapers go to, to find Andrew Wan?

Sorry, but if you add up the vapers around the world, we are no small potatoes. Also, vapors use up there batteries a lot quicker than the torchers.

Are all your AW, depending on the length, all the same size? If you could give us a length for the, 18350, 18490 and the 18650 it would be appreciated. As you can see from the OPs post, the two batteries are a different length.

Greg W.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread