The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Are You Kidding Me?

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by Tonee N, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    9 Volt Batteries present a Unique Hazard to most batteries because the Pos/Neg Terminals are on the same side of the battery. Making it Very Easy to Short the battery to anything conductive.

Couple that with Battery Chemistry that is Highly Reactive and you have a Good Recipe' for a Bad Day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    From the Link in the OP's 1st Post....

"Schroeck’s attorney told the Tribune that his firm has filed several other suits over exploding batteries. How many vape shops will be sued into bankruptcy before all of them start providing a printout of battery safety guidelines, and insist employees explain them to each battery customer? Even better, how about investing in a rubber battery protector for each battery sold, or a plastic case for each pair?

A simple effort like that could prevent injuries, protect businesses, and force predatory lawyers to go find another easy target for litigation.
    "

Hate see anyone get Seriously Hurt using a Battery. And Don't like seeing people competing for Darwin Awards with Personal Injury Lawyer sponsors. But at what point does a Retailer acknowledge that this is the world we live in?

And that 1 Lawsuit can Devastate your Business if you can't go into Court and present some form of Evidence that your Company made Reasonable Attempts to ensure a Battery Accident didn't happen.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tomasius74

Tomasius74 Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 12, 2016
    I'm sorry for using inappropriate words.

4. rob33

rob33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Let there be a test for everyone wishing to purchase and use batteries and the results entered in a National Bank. So that god help the poor sole that doesn't have 2¢ worth of sense doesn't get hurt. I'd bet most of these cases will not be heard and the few that are, "No Fault". The batteries were not being used for what and where they were attended by the manufacture. You may see warning labels required which would be a good thing, but the cases have no cash value.

• Like Like x 1
  5. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Considering all the major battery manufacturers are on the record stating that their batteries are not designed for use in e-cigarettes, any incident involving battery safety has the potential for shutting down any business that sold the battery to the individual. There may not be monetary damages involved, but if enough sources are shut down that provide batteries for our mods, where will you be when you can't get good batteries any longer?

Vape shops are highly complicit, in that they provide these products and do not tell the customer anything regarding safety and safe use/storage. And considering they also sell batteries with grossly exaggerated ratings, they're just as clueless as those who buy them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    An example...I recently purchased a Samsung 25R at a local vape shop. They did not provide any sort of case or even a bag which left me trying to find a spot for it in my purse that could not POSSIBLY come in contact with anything metal. Yeah that was not easy but I managed. Imagine someone that did not know to worry about where to put it that was safe while getting it home. It has real fubar potential that could have been solves simply by providing a bag or box or something with the sale or at the very least info that you need to be careful where you put it to get it home. :(

• Like Like x 4
  7. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 3, 2014
    Rupert, West Virginia
    Can you imagine how many 'battery explosion' stories we'd see if 10 - 20 amp LIon batteries were 'shaped' like a 9 volt battery?

• Like Like x 3
  8. leftyandsparky

leftyandsparky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    You had a purse, most guys would have stuck it in their pocket with change or keys.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    where do you think my change, keys, nail files etc are? LOL purse or pocket not a whole lot of difference.

• Like Like x 2
  10. leftyandsparky

leftyandsparky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    True

• Like Like x 1
  11. rob33

rob33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I agree, I hadn't been in a vape shop in several years until recently. They sold my friend a couple of 18650s, they were in a paper box but no protective case. They didn't even offer to sell him one. He paid an 120% mark up from where I always buy my batteries from. Even with wholesale prices my provider claims to test to authenticate the batteries and provides a plastic battery case with every order. I may get edited here but, I get my batteries from Liion Wholesale. Once you learn the price your vape shop is paying for batteries you should demand a free plastic case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.