Ares MTL RTA broken center post - design flaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sociofobs

Dec 16, 2012
Latvia
Hello. Received these pictures from a friend, so first off - I can't inspect it in person, apologies if my guesses are wrong.
Looking at the pictures, seems that the center post holding the + side of the deck has broken off. 1st question - Is that center screw too thin to handle the stresses of rebuilding?
2nd question - are there any spares sold to fix this issue? Or does this require a new atomizer purchase?
Thank you, pictures below.
67394449_692714051155769_1393672511949897728_n.jpg
67813320_368973393787923_947965562162511872_n.jpg

Reactions: bigbob2322

stuff.hunter

Aug 9, 2019
Dublin, Ireland
I would think that if it's a manufacturing defect that innokin would have no choice but to replace them.
yeah... I've had mine just over months, never abused it as was using my Kayfuns as well so definitely it is manufacturing defect unless they meant to work 6 months only :(

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
yeah, your'e probably right and there will be more broken to come.
at this stage I'm pretty disappointed as really liked my Ares but wont buy another one for sure. I've got a few other tanks, mainly Kayfun which I've used for quite long time and nothing like that ever happened. On the top, the worst is that no one sells spare decks making it a piece of rubbish.
Really, really disappointed
I doubt most of em will do this. Hard to control which might though. Very possibly has to do with something like tooling wear. It might for example only happen to the first few Attys after they change a worn blade for a new one on the assembly line or something.

Innokin_Joseph

Brand Rep
Jul 9, 2015
From what I have heard, this part is not replaceable. We do not offer warranty service for tanks, but if you reach out to our support team (support@innokin.com) they may be able to help you out. No guarantees. I understand it's a frustrating situation. Very sorry for the trouble anyone's experienced with this center post.

stuff.hunter

Aug 9, 2019
Dublin, Ireland
Looks like the threading machine cut a bit too deep on that one. You can see the point where the thickness is nearly zero. This probably won’t be the only one to experience this breakage.
yeah, your'e probably right and there will be more broken to come.
at this stage I'm pretty disappointed as really liked my Ares but wont buy another one for sure. I've got a few other tanks, mainly Kayfun which I've used for quite long time and nothing like that ever happened. On the top, the worst is that no one sells spare decks making it a piece of rubbish.
Really, really disappointed

• Agree
Reactions: bigbob2322

sociofobs

Dec 16, 2012
Latvia
I doubt most of em will do this. Hard to control which might though. Very possibly has to do with something like tooling wear. It might for example only happen to the first few Attys after they change a worn blade for a new one on the assembly line or something.
In that case, those tanks should've never passed quality control, if there is any. If it's just a bad batch, the least Innokin should do is roll out free repair kits with the defective part fixed. Right now, as someone already stated - they don't even sell spare decks, although the issue isn't the deck, it's just a fragile center post.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In that case, those tanks should've never passed quality control, if there is any. If it's just a bad batch, the least Innokin should do is roll out free repair kits with the defective part fixed. Right now, as someone already stated - they don't even sell spare decks, although the issue isn't the deck, it's just a fragile center post.
Should is not a powerful argument these days, though it used to be. The functional point is that they don’t.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
1st question - Is that center screw too thin to handle the stresses of rebuilding?
2nd question - are there any spares sold to fix this issue? Or does this require a new atomizer purchase?
1st question - Is that center screw too thin to handle the stresses of rebuilding? Looks like a design flaw and yes if the center hollow pin broke at the thread ID. That cross section appears to be way to thin.
Or does this require a new atomizer purchase? Yes.
Electrical conductive epoxy may suffice, If you had access to a welding shop, it might lend it self for a brazing repair.

From what I have heard, this part is not replaceable. We do not offer warranty service for tanks, but if you reach out to our support team (support@innokin.com) they may be able to help you out. No guarantees. I understand it's a frustrating situation. Very sorry for the trouble anyone's experienced with this center post.
Hi Joseph,
I've emailed support last week - no answer, then got in touch through Facebook as well but no one offered any kind of solution even I'd happily pay for replacement deck ...that's really bad and, honestly, not going to buy any Innokin tank in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread