Status
Not open for further replies.

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
Well, I got it wicked and vaping it. It's still a little too restricted to call it a MTL tank, but the only other machining I could do to it would be to drill out the shower cap completely. Not sure I want to do that.

Must have used too much cotton for the high VG content. Getting some awful tasting burnt hits.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well, I got it wicked and vaping it. It's still a little too restricted to call it a MTL tank, but the only other machining I could do to it would be to drill out the shower cap completely. Not sure I want to do that.

Must have used too much cotton for the high VG content. Getting some awful tasting burnt hits.

The thing about more power is that it requires more juice to keep the coil cool...

You'll have to widen the juice channels. .

Your getting burnt hits because it's too much power for how much juice is going to your coil...

Maybe I'm saying that wrong.. a better way to say it is that your vaporizing your juice faster than your able to wick it to your coil..

It's why DL, RBA's have wider juice channels than MTL RBA's..

Last edited:

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
The thing about more power is that it requires more juice to keep the coil cool...

You'll have to widen the juice channels. .

Your getting burnt hits because it's too much power for how much juice is going to your coil...

Maybe I'm saying that wrong.. a better way to say it is that your vaporizing your juice faster than your able to wick it to your coil..

It's why DL, RBA's have wider juice channels than MTL RBA's..

Nah, it was just a bad wick. I have it vaping like a champ now. I'm still new at wicking coils, so I get more of them wrong than right.
I'm using Rayon in it now for it's faster wicking properties and actually got the tails thinned out enough for a change. :)

I also don't vape at higher wattages than I need to. I start low and work my way up until I get good flavor.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Nah, it was just a bad wick. I have it vaping like a champ now. I'm still new at wicking coils, so I get more of them wrong than right.
I'm using Rayon in it now for it's faster wicking properties and actually got the tails thinned out enough for a change. :)

I also don't vape at higher wattages than I need to. I start low and work my way up until I get good flavor.

Glad you got it straight. ..

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
I guess my final thoughts on the Ares are that it is a well built tank and great for MTL'ers. With some work it can be made into a DTL, but I don't recommend people buy it to try that.
The only real negatives on the tank are:
1) Why oh why did you choose phillips and flat head screws?? Hex heads are much better imho.
2) It doesn't like thicker coil wires. They're a pain to get clamped down right.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I guess my final thoughts on the Ares are that it is a well built tank and great for MTL'ers. With some work it can be made into a DTL, but I don't recommend people buy it to try that.
The only real negatives on the tank are:
1) Why oh why did you choose phillips and flat head screws?? Hex heads are much better imho.
2) It doesn't like thicker coil wires. They're a pain to get clamped down right.

I prefer Phillips and flat head screws! I think hex is a HUGE pita. ..

Hahaha...

Something's are just personal preference I guess!

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois

Instead of drilling out shower cap it is removable just unscrews . Unscrewed mine when it first came to give it a good cleaning.
If afterwards still to tight of draw for you before putting on shelf try slotting out the airholes so it is just a long open slot same size as the adjustable ring making sure it will still close off when turning the adjustment ring.

Last edited:

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
Instead of drilling out shower cap it is removable just unscrews . Unscrewed mine when it first came to give it a good cleaning.
If afterwards still to tight of draw for you before putting on shelf try slotting out the airholes so it is just a long open slot same size as the adjustable ring making sure it will still close off when turning the adjustment ring.
Thanks for the tip on the shower cap. I didn't realize that.
I'm waiting for my dremel like tool to get here to turn it into a slot.

At this rate it might end up being one of my favorite tanks :lol:
It's so simple to re-wick and I don't know of a similarly built DTL tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread