Ares rta coil compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I am trying to help my girlfriend out by buying her some pre built coils from fasttech for her Ares rta. We have 26 gauge kanthal and 30 gauge SS but when I tighten the coil it really doesn't want to catch and sits kinda loose, I wanna avoid this hassle and am looking for pre built coils compatible for this tank in kanthal or SS from fasttech. Can anybody with experience help me out?

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Some rta screws might have a hard time tightening with 26g as it pushes the wires away as you tighten, but I doubt the Aires is doing that . 30g is just to thin and fragile, so I wouldn't even Try that. 26g should be fine unless you have stripped the screws, in that case a pre built coil won't be any different. Are you using a rod of some sort as you tighten the screws? Maybe a pic might help us? But if you are just having a hard time making the coil and want to buy some, I would stick with 26g pre mades either SS or kanthal in the 2.5mm diameter range, maybe between .5 to .8 ohm range, but it kind of depends what wattage she vapes. If she vapes 15 watts or lower, 28g might be better
I am trying to help my girlfriend out by buying her some pre built coils from fasttech for her Ares rta. We have 26 gauge kanthal and 30 gauge SS but when I tighten the coil it really doesn't want to catch and sits kinda loose, I wanna avoid this hassle and am looking for pre built coils compatible for this tank in kanthal or SS from fasttech. Can anybody with experience help me out?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I've had my Ares for a couple of months now and love it. My coils are 27 or 28 gauge SS round wire and they mount quite easily for me. There is IMO also enough room in the mounting slots for multiwire coils like Claptons, square wire setups, etc.

DJSlb Vapes has posted a really good video review of the atty and how he mounts these coils. Go to minute 48:20 to see how he does it for the Ares. You can also see how comparable atties work in that video.

26 gauge wire will be easier to work with than my thinner wire. You do need to take your time at first to get the hang of it, but once you get it it becomes easier and easier each time you repeat the process. IMO buying premade coils will not help you do this, it's just a matter of practise. SS and Kanthal doesn't matter here, they handle a bit different in my experience but not much. A coil is a coil, weather you make it yourself or have it made for you. If you are having a hard time wrapping a coil that looks like his that's another issue as opposed to mounting it and we can help you with that if that's an issue.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I've had my Ares for a couple of months now and love it. My coils are 27 or 28 gauge SS round wire and they mount quite easily for me. There is IMO also enough room in the mounting slots for multiwire coils like Claptons, square wire setups, etc.

DJSlb Vapes has posted a really good video review of the atty and how he mounts these coils. Go to minute 48:20 to see how he does it for the Ares. You can also see how comparable atties work in that video.

26 gauge wire will be easier to work with than my thinner wire. You do need to take your time at first to get the hang of it, but once you get it it becomes easier and easier each time you repeat the process. IMO buying premade coils will not help you do this, it's just a matter of practise. SS and Kanthal doesn't matter here, they handle a bit different in my experience but not much. A coil is a coil, weather you make it yourself or have it made for you. If you are having a hard time wrapping a coil that looks like his that's another issue as opposed to mounting it and we can help you with that if that's an issue.

Good luck with it :thumb:
Yeah, I have no issue with making coils was just confused if maybe there was a better gauge for this rta as I'm having so much trouble. I know I really had trouble with pharaoh mini rta at first and it took a long time to get things just right so maybe that's the issue we are having with Ares. I will check out the video after my coffee, thank you.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Ive cut coil legs with the grub screws before, wire was too light of guage for what i was doing with it. I cant see for crap anymore, even with readers so i have a bit of a time getting everything right occasionally. Just keep messing with it, though, youll get it right eventually. Prebuilt coils are probably fine, i just never use them except for whatever is included in the box when i buy a rebuildable. Ill start with these and then make my own.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ive cut coil legs with the grub screws before, wire was too light of guage for what i was doing with it. I cant see for crap anymore, even with readers so i have a bit of a time getting everything right occasionally. Just keep messing with it, though, youll get it right eventually. Prebuilt coils are probably fine, i just never use them except for whatever is included in the box when i buy a rebuildable. Ill start with these and then make my own.

Any time I've cut a coil leg off when mounting with a grub screw I found one of two reasons for it happening.

1 - Because the grub screw had a sharp, circular ridge on the bottom like many of them do to help them grab what is being fastened. It's fairly easy to hold the grub screw with the allen wrench and either sand or file the ridge down.

2 - Because the atty manufacturer had drilled into the surface the grub screw presses the wire onto. This one I have not figured out a good way to fix properly and just lived with. Bigger guage wire helps and if that isn't practical I've also folded the wire tails back over on themselves and twisted them so the part that is being screwed onto is double thick.

My eyesight is also not that good anymore so I invested in a good headset magnifier with a light that I can wear over my glasses. Makes it a lot easier to build atties, solder electronics, thread a needle and anything else that needs good eyesight :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've never really had an issue mounting a coil on the ares and I've used various resistances and coil types. If wire is VERY thin, it may not hold up well even if mounted correctly, and you have to be careful cleaning it.

However, you also may not want to use very thick wire either, as it's harder to secure the coil in place. My preferred wire is 28 gauge SS, but your mileage may vary.

The only time I've had issues were very large diameter coils and raising it too high off the deck. Then I got an atomizer short message due to the fact that, well, my coil was so high it was touching the dome. I just gently moved it down a couple MM and it was fine.

I'm afraid it's hard to give the "perfect" coil although FT does sell some prebuilts in various resistances as a pack (and material type) so it may be worth looking into and etc. as at least you'll know the (more or less resistance, depending on length of legs) and you can try some different gauges and wire types inexpensively and etc.

Advanced Vapor Supply and maybe Kidney puncher are also good sites if you don't want to wait a long time.

Good luck with it.

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I am also looking for a good headset. Which one did you buy? The one you mentioned doesn't have light....
I bought a pair similiar to the one above years ago for rebuilding at harbor freight for like 10 bucks and it's been awesome. It has lights on the side but imo isn't necessary

Reactions: stols001

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I bought a pair similiar to the one above years ago for rebuilding at harbor freight for like 10 bucks and it's been awesome. It has lights on the side but imo isn't necessary

I want one with lights, beer holder, and digital access to classic rock....

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am also looking for a good headset. Which one did you buy? The one you mentioned doesn't have light....

If you scroll down on that page to the second section where it says 'Frequently Bought Together', you will see the light I bought.

The Donegan website is here with info on the Optivisor and the lenses they make. They sell a light you can add but I thought that 6-point led light would be better and I'm very happy with it after a few years. The Optivisor has also been flawless for me through that time. I tried a cheap one first to see if I liked the style but it didn't last long.

On lenses and magnification, watch out for the focal length which in this case is the distance at which it is sharpest. I've tried the 2X (10 inch) and 2.75X (6 inch) and so far, specially for vape stuff, I prefer the 2X for the extra 4" of distance and the extra field of view.

Also, you can get both glass and plastic lenses. I have one glass 2X which I got originally and a couple more plastic ones at different magnifications to try out. I really can't tell the difference in optical performance between them, but of course the glass will not scratch nearly as easily as plastic. The lenses in the link above will be plastic at that price. Also, if they were glass it would be a selling point and it would be mentioned.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread