ARRRGGGG - My First Negative Health Effect from Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesGang

Jan 30, 2011
S.C.
Haha, this thread is hillarious.

Everybody knows Periodontal disease is the biggest cash cow for dentists. If you have symptoms (bleeding gums, tooth loss) then by all means get it looked at and addressed. Get a 2nd opinion, minimum.

80% of the population has periodontal disease by many estimates. And the natural breakdown and shrinkage of bone and gum tissue is a natural effect of aging. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Repeat to yourself. The effects of the aging process cannot be prevented and it cannot be reversed. So, I'd suggest you learn to live with it. Before the dentist makes a minor problem much worse. Simply for the sake of getting at your insurance money.

vaping causing periodontal disease? Hardly.

Smoking contributing to periodontal disease? It certainly doesn't help.

BTW, my dentists tried the same technique on me. I've had a number of them. And they all had one thing in common. They all played the fear card, many wanted to pull perfectly healthy teeth, and most want you on the perodontal disease prevention program.

I even had one I caught in a lie after telling me he wanted to pull my wisdom teeth after discovering a minor cavity. He said they were 'rotten' and he couldn't do a filling. Haha. Hardly. I went to another dentist he said they were perfectly healthy and had the cavity filled in 20 minutes.

It's a fear based approach to getting to you insurance dollars. The reality is I have no dental problems, am 50 years old and still have all my teeth. I expect to keep them to the day I die if I do 2 things. Brush my teeth, get my teeth cleaned occasionally and stay away from the dentists chair and this racket if at all possible. I'd suggest you do the same. You wont make many friends in the dental industry, but unlike my parents I suspect you'll keep your teeth a lot longer.

Unless you have significant bleeding, pain, infection or cavities that need to be addressed. Then by all means get a second or third opinion. The problem is most people don't have time to do this so they fling themselves at the mercy of whomever's available, looks authoritative, etc.

A piece of advice, they're your teeth. You have to live with them, or not. You don't like the teeth you were born with? Tough. Get used to them. Don't get carried away with the whole vanity thing if you like keeping them. And you do whatever your dentist tells you at your own risk. All many dentists will bring you is countless hours of suffering in the chair for a minuscule reward, sell you a bunch of stuff you can get a whole lot cheaper elsewhere, then act like Vanna White when nobody gets a letter as your problem gets mysteriously and steadily worse. Vaping, smoking, brushing, genetics, eating, living, take your pick.

Last edited:

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
OK, some good news! :2cool:

Just came back from my dentist and my bleeding is greatly reduced and insignificant. Based on my research and the fact that I have not reduced my vaping at all, I conclude that this was due to QUITTING SMOKING and not from vaping. In fact, compared to when I smoked, my oral health is improved and my cleaning takes about 30 minutes less than before. In short, the dentist was thrilled....and so was I!

Starfire71

Apr 12, 2011
Kansas
Haha, this thread is hillarious.

Everybody knows Periodontal disease is the biggest cash cow for dentists. If you have symptoms (bleeding gums, tooth loss) then by all means get it looked at and addressed. Get a 2nd opinion, minimum.

80% of the population has periodontal disease by many estimates. And the natural breakdown and shrinkage of bone and gum tissue is a natural effect of aging. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Repeat to yourself. The effects of the aging process cannot be prevented and it cannot be reversed. So, I'd suggest you learn to live with it. Before the dentist makes a minor problem much worse. Simply for the sake of getting at your insurance money.

Vaping causing periodontal disease? Hardly.

Smoking contributing to periodontal disease? It certainly doesn't help.

BTW, my dentists tried the same technique on me. I've had a number of them. And they all had one thing in common. They all played the fear card, many wanted to pull perfectly healthy teeth, and most want you on the perodontal disease prevention program.

I even had one I caught in a lie after telling me he wanted to pull my wisdom teeth after discovering a minor cavity. He said they were 'rotten' and he couldn't do a filling. Haha. Hardly. I went to another dentist he said they were perfectly healthy and had the cavity filled in 20 minutes.

It's a fear based approach to getting to you insurance dollars. The reality is I have no dental problems, am 50 years old and still have all my teeth. I expect to keep them to the day I die if I do 2 things. Brush my teeth, get my teeth cleaned occasionally and stay away from the dentists chair and this racket if at all possible. I'd suggest you do the same. You wont make many friends in the dental industry, but unlike my parents I suspect you'll keep your teeth a lot longer.

Unless you have significant bleeding, pain, infection or cavities that need to be addressed. Then by all means get a second or third opinion. The problem is most people don't have time to do this so they fling themselves at the mercy of whomever's available, looks authoritative, etc.

A piece of advice, they're your teeth. You have to live with them, or not. You don't like the teeth you were born with? Tough. Get used to them. Don't get carried away with the whole vanity thing if you like keeping them. And you do whatever your dentist tells you at your own risk. All many dentists will bring you is countless hours of suffering in the chair for a minuscule reward, sell you a bunch of stuff you can get a whole lot cheaper elsewhere, then act like Vanna White when nobody gets a letter as your problem gets mysteriously and steadily worse. Vaping, smoking, brushing, genetics, eating, living, take your pick.

I will just ITA this entire post. What is shocking and appalling is these .......s do this to children too. Just went through this. My son is 9 and has had a single cavity in his life, in a baby molar. It was filled and fine for 3 years, then became abcessed. The pediatric dentist I took him to determined it needed to be pulled and a $1000 torture trap looking spacer put in. He also said opposite molar needed to be pulled, and the DS needed a silver crown on yet another molar, with a "baby root canal". I was horrified. Something didn't ring true about all this and I knew I didn't want my kid with a mouthful of metal, ruining his smile. I took him to another pediatric dentist, who was shocked at what had been suggested. DS did need the abcessed molar pulled, but he said it was no big deal because it was a baby tooth and the adult tooth would be in shortly (the first dentist said the spacer was needed because looking at my son's X-rays, it would be "at least 4 years" before the adult tooth would come in. The rest of his teeth were fine. Normal irregular crevices on a 9 year old's baby teeth that would soon fall out. MY cost (not counting insurance) with the first dentist: $1200. Cost at the 2nd dentist: $85.

It is bad enough that POS wanted to rip me off. But to ruin my little guy's beautiful smile, it makes me sick. Then curious I googled this type of thing and was even more sick and shocked at how common it is, and how many parents allow their kids teeth to be ripped out and have metal all over the smile.

I think dentists need a "First do no harm" oath.

Last edited:

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
I read this just before I went to the dentist for my semi-annual checkup today. The hygienist cleaned my teeth and had me rinse... the result immediately reminded me of this thread. "Did my gums bleed a lot?"

"Yes, very much."

"I quit smoking cigarettes and started smoking e-cigs awhile back..."

Her answer was long and involved. Apparently she had taken an entire seminar on this very subject for one of her continuing education requirements.

Something about how the stuff in smoke constricts the veins in the gums, so that smokers rarely bleed, even if they have gum disease (and yes, it may be over-diagnosed, but it does happen). Then, according to her, when someone quits smoking, the veins in the gums are confused and start over-producing blood. Hence the messy cleanings. She said it doesn't return completely to normal until about 2 to 4 years after quitting, but does continue to steadily improve over that time.

iaswni

May 13, 2011
netherlands
I find it quite funny how many people freak out. If a hair falls down, its due to vapping, if the fart goes sideways, its due to vapping.
Don't get me wrong though, I've never been without a cig for longer than one day since I started smoking 10 years ago and here I am almost in two weeks! I wouldn't be surprised to find myself here in a couple of months..
Glad your problem got sorted out, it will be good to know when my time comes
Cheers :)

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
Glad to hear its better! I had some gum bleeding but did attribute it to stopping the 4000 chemicals in smoking, and its chilled out some, but its certainly a good thing that people know that when you stop smoking, either cold turkey, going to vaping, etc, you may experience some gum sensitivity and bleeding. I know for the first 2 or so weeks my mouth was super cold sensitive, and I thought I had a cavity or something, but after a little bit of time, its settled down and I can enjoy ice water again. Biggest thing I think is definitely do your research in regards to quitting smoking FIRST, before assuming its vaping, though there are probably health concerns we're unaware of, there are health concerns with breathing in many places (LA, Phoenix, etc) that have to do with simply living in those places and nothing to do with any other activity you participate in.
Thank you also OP for updating this thread and letting us know what happened and what the culprit was. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread