At what point do you empty a tank and start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I've been using my Aspire Odan 7ml tank almost exclusively and just topping it off when it gets down a bit to keep the Coil wet. Last night I noticed that it's getting a little yellowish/goldish. It still tastes OK but I'm wondering if it would be better to take a loss and start over fresh once in a while. What do you think? Is it a good idea to keep filling it over and over for months or at what point would you start over. I'm not all that concerned about losing say 3.5ml of Nicotine if health wise it's a better idea to start clean. Thoughts?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
IMO, if you have been using the same coil for months, it is probably time for a change.
Your juice might be getting discolored from some build-up on the mesh.
I would vape it down to whatever level you are comfortable with and then dump, pull the coil, give the unit a hot water rinse and install a new coil.
Health wise, if it's not burnt, it should be fine.

Hope that helps
I

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
^^ ditto (that means I agree... never know if younger people even know that)
You got good use of that coil... dump it, rinse it (I don't use soap very often... just hot water and let it dry) Prime/install a new coil and enjoy the vape. You might want to stock up on coils (not sure if some of them will still be available) Not familiar with that tank...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What I do is vape a tank down to the bottom and check the coil. If it’s nasty if I can’t clean it I replace it. The dirtier a coil is the faster it will color the juice. Coils do not last forever. I vape rebuildable a so I can pull the cotton and dry burn. I do that maybe every 2 or 3 tanks full. Eventually the coil will develop a hot side and the wire needs to be replaced too. That’s maybe every 2 to 4 dryburns. I go through 1-2 tanks a day. So a wire lasts me a week or two.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
What? Change a tank BEFORE all the e-liquid turns Black?? Sacrilege!! Heathen!

;) Really, I wait until it starts to no longer taste perfect.
I also do rebuildables, which I clean at least once a week, but that doesn't mean I have to change what is in the tank normally.
But when I do, every thing gets a hot water rinse and I check all my o-rings, pat it all dry and go.

Ignore the black e-liquid part.. I mostly use double chocolate so.....

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't worry that much about color changes until things get rather dark, although some atomizers do darken more quickly than others for reasons I do NOT understand. Really I don't get super worked up unless a tank is starting to go bad.

I don'' think there is a right or wrong answer to this by the away. I know of these strange creatures who rewick their atomizer every morning, for example.

Anan

Reactions: Wow1420

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
images.jpg

I'm still getting good flavor from my current setup,probably wait until 2022 and then change the coils,might even splurge and throw in some new cotton ;)

In all seriousness i need the practice with my new Peace Maker 25mm RTA so i rewick every day,still getting to know this atty's quirks.
Once a week i get my atty cleaned up,remove the coil and the cotton then use a guide i found on how to properly clean an atty,gotta take care of your equipment.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That one would qualify as “not actually nasty yet” for me. the individual wires in the coil can still be seen as the wick while dark isn’t actually blackened. The one side darker than the other means it’s developing a hot side though. I’d do a test when I next pull to wick to see how even the heating is. Might need to change the wire with the wick just to keep things even.

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I guess the reason I keep it to the top liquid wise is the cost of the Coils. The Odan Coils cost $11.99 for a 3 pack plus shipping and the 0.18 ohm one's are sold out again, I just checked. As far as cleaning them I boil some distilled water and just pour it over the Coil in a strainer until I think it looks Ok. Maybe the Mesh Coils are different than the wire ones because the Tigon Coils run forever with cleaning. I think I will rotate a new one in the Odan and put fresh liquid in because when I first filled it I was like Wow this is where I need to be and today it's not exactly the same. FYI, myfreedomsmokes.com was selling 3 packs of Odan Coils for $8.95 so some savings there but they haven't sold the 0.18 ohm one's yet.
Thanks for all the replies.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
That one would qualify as “not actually nasty yet” for me. the individual wires in the coil can still be seen as the wick while dark isn’t actually blackened. The one side darker than the other means it’s developing a hot side though. I’d do a test when I next pull to wick to see how even the heating is. Might need to change the wire with the wick just to keep things even.
I let one go once till it looked completely nasty. The funny thing was it didnt taste nasty at all the whole time. By the time I broke it down, i couldn't tell where the cotton ended and the coil began. What tipped me off that I needed to clean and rewick was the little bits of carbon I started getting in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread