The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Atomizer question

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by expat, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. expat

expat Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quick question..I received my DSE901 kit in the post a few days ago. I think I have something going on with the atomizer.

When I look in at it, there was what appeared to be a bit of the filler stuck to the bridge. Out with the tiny tweezers, but it doesn't look at all like the filler, more like strands of some sort of fiber, and the ends of a few of those looks scorched.

Anyone know what this is? I haven't tried to use it since, I just switched to the spare I ordered.

I am still using the prefilled cartridges that came with it.

2. cskent

cskent Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Under the bridge is the wick which is fibrous material that holds a bit of juice next to the coil. This may be what you have there. Some people debridge and dewick their atty's for dripping so don't toss it yet, you may want to try that in the future.

3. Tarrant220

Tarrant220 Moved On

Apr 16, 2011
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I don't know if this is the case with yours but some atomizers have a wick like material that intertwines with the coil inside of it and then comes up and wraps under the base of where it seats into the atomizer itself. In some atomizers it can become frayed and when it does it will burn when you take a drag, causing it to blacken and fray even more before usually it will clog one side or both sides of the atomizer. Some people opt to remove their wick and use it for dripping but it's up to you.

EDIT: cskent beat me to it. ;)

4. expat

Apr 12, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks for that! So..if I want to carry on as I am, and not move on to dripping at this stage, I shouldn't use it? It's only a few days old...sheesh...maybe I'd better get snappy and order a few more.

5. Tarrant220

Tarrant220 Moved On

Apr 16, 2011
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Well It's wont really hurt you, it may give a burnt taste once in awhile though. Once it starts fraying there's not much you can do other then keep using it till it dies or just remove it all together like suggest above. In my experiences it will eventually clog and you'll have to then remove it anyways. As for how long until that happens is anyone's guess.

6. cskent

cskent Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Without the wick it'll probably leak more since it's put in there to hold juice. You may be able to get a replacement if you contact your vendor. As far as ordering more, I would suggest you keep a few extras on hand anyway. Atty's can go at any time so you need some spares around.

7. DualChamber

DualChamber Full Member Verified Member

Sep 8, 2010
    NC
    Don't remove this 'wick'. It is a vital part of the atomizer.

8. expat

Apr 12, 2011
    Arkansas
    I guess I will send them an email ..I just thought for some reason it would last a little longer than it has. Arrived here Wednesday so really only 4 days old. Glad I did get the one spare anyway.

Better order some others as well.

And my juice arrived today, I had three packages in the letterbox with goodies so it was just like Christmas...honestly some of these smell good enough to eat! :D

9. expat

Apr 12, 2011
    Arkansas
    Does anyone know why the wicks start to fray? Is it something I am doing ? Not doing ?

If I am only going to get a couple of days out of an atty it will get a bit expensive.

10. Stosh

Stosh Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    A little fraying will not hurt your atty, so long as you keep it damp with juice. It will not burn, as it's made out of silicone and you atty will not get hot enough to burn silicone. Any darkning you see would be juice being carmelized / burnt and would indicate you're letting it get a bit too dry. Dripping some straight PG or VG in and heating it up, blow it out and give it some flavor, vape on.... :)

11. speedemon

speedemon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    Chicagoland
    I take the wicks out of my attys 1st thing i drip no wick needed they can taste prety crappy.The coil is also wrapped around wick don't think those little pieces are needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.