Atomizers keep failing, produce smoke or vapor that smells bad (VIDEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0frg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
SD, USA
how far down should the filler be? i usually put it down just beneath the rim of the opening that plugs into the atty, ive tried polyester, nufoam polyester and lipton ice tea bags, if you flood your atomizer, will that burn it out some how? I have done direct dripping, usually 2-4 drops, plus i top off the cart, some times when i blow it out a bunch of liquid comes out, some times not though, ive also tried refraining from any direct dripping and using cart only, with just a 1 drop prime when i first get the atomizer, but the results end up the same, ive also tried waiting for the atomizer to go completely cold before taking my next drag thinking maybe i was heating them up too often but that doesnt seem to be the culprit either

where do you guys buy your 510 & 901 atomizers from that youve had good success with?

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
Part of your issue is that the pass-thru you are using is running at 5volts. So you need to keep the atty super wet all the time. Direct dripping with 3 drops at a time should be good for maybe 4 or 5 good drags. There is also a small piece of wick under that bridge on the atty. If you have burned that it is super hard to get rid of the foul smell/taste without removing the wick. You have likely burnt that wick using the atty at 5volts. The atty will work without the wick. I have burned a few of mine over time and had to pull the wick out. I do strongly suggest only dripping with the atty after you pull the wick out. Hope that helps you some.

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK for starters, I really don't think cleaning your atomisers with Hydrogen Peroxide is a very good idea at all IMHO :shock:

Secondly, the atomisers do "smoke" when they get hot.

Thirdly, my gut feeling is that you vaping them too dry & the bad taste is due to that plus the HP.

kd0frg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
SD, USA
Part of your issue is that the pass-thru you are using is running at 5volts. So you need to keep the atty super wet all the time. Direct dripping with 3 drops at a time should be good for maybe 4 or 5 good drags. There is also a small piece of wick under that bridge on the atty. If you have burned that it is super hard to get rid of the foul smell/taste without removing the wick. You have likely burnt that wick using the atty at 5volts. The atty will work without the wick. I have burned a few of mine over time and had to pull the wick out. I do strongly suggest only dripping with the atty after you pull the wick out. Hope that helps you some.

oh its 5v? i wasnt aware of that, how exactly do i remove this wick as i havent been able to see it? whats it look like? are there pics?

kd0frg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
SD, USA

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
So far I've only bought two atomizers, both were 510 for the eGo. I didn't heat 'em up first, so I didn't check whether they were burning off a foul-smelling smoke. They both tasted terrible. I think some have described it as burning plastic, I equate it to accidentally lighting the wrong end of a cigarette. I was told they come with a primer that tastes awful, and you have to blow the primer out before you use them. Unfortunately, I didn't do that. Did you?

I put them in a glass with some water and brought 'em to a boil several times, then rinsed and dried them overnight. One of them showed significant improvement, the other didn't improve much at all. It may be that once you bake the primer on, it's really hard to get it off.

I was told that cartomizers don't have that problem, and they can be refilled. Presumably the cartomizers don't have that nasty primer on them. I should get 'em tomorrow. I'm hoping for a much better experience when they arrive. I'm not yet ready to give up, but I understand your frustration.

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the link kd0frg :)

Got to still say I wouldn't use HP to clean my atties though. From my knowledge (limited I admit) HP is a bleach & when heated up it becomes a Reactive Oxygen Species. So felt it was more than worth mentioning that part of the bad taste could be due to the HP.

$hua

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2010
SomeWhereOverTheRainbow, GA
The only thing that stands out to me... @ the 2:45min mark.. you hit the button.. and the "coil" heats up... but to ME it appears to be doing: its heating up "unevenly" looking at it in your hand.. the right side of the "coil" glows orange faster and brighter than the left side. possibly suggesting that part of the coil is "burnt out"

as far as cleaning... i have learned that the less you do the better off your atty will be... for cleaing i use a 50/50 vg/pg mix.. and flush it directly through the atty,... i drip 10ish drops into the atty and then blow it out the batter side... this technique works for me.. and just last night i found this cleaning "mod" where you use a syringe and an "o ring" to flush/force the vg/pg mix through the atty... (im at work or i would hunt down the link)... works like a charm.. and no "drying time" needed to start reusing your atty

Edited: Found the link... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/71721-attention-soaking-510-901-atties-you-might-want-read.html

Last edited:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Try to remove the hair´s under the atty bridge.

DON'T do this unless all you plan on using the atty for is dripping!!!

First I’d try using an empty cartridge (take out the liquid cup holder that has the filler in it). Then try dripping. The number of drops vary---from what I read around here it’s two---I use the RN4081 and two flood it.
So do one, put empty cartridge on atty and see if it produces anything. If it doesn’t work, use two. If you get good vapor you might have to repeat this several times before the burnt taste goes away.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/66848-guide-direct-dripping.html

If it doesn’t go away, follow the instruction on the link:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ion/97014-facts-about-cleaning-atomizers.html

These links, and several other helpful ones can be found in the Library & the Library Annex which might help you alone more.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
I really hope that you do not give up, kd. To me, the health benefit/improvement is well worth the effort. Honestly, I don't know what is happening with your attys. Especially since you are having the problem with both 901s and 510s. But...it has been pointed out that your passthrough vapes at 5v, and most batteries, though rated 3.7v actually are only at 3.2. The extra voltage could be the major issue.

Did you try using only batteries on a brand new atty to see if the problem still occurred after a few days? (Not on an atty with which you have ever had this problem - try a NEW one only.)

And do remember that cartomizers can be refilled several times. Perhaps that would be a better alternative for you than atomizer/cartridge combos. They are disposable, and only about $2.00 each, sometimes less. So there is little more cost, if any, to using them. KR808D-1 cartomizers are compatible with the 901 threads, and the newer 510 cartomizers only recently on the market are getting very good reviews. I like them, myself, a lot.

Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread