Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
I believe we must always seek to understand a phenomena, a behavior, an illness, a culture, etc before coming to any sort of conclusions, and even then I think we should be cautious. A scientific approach accompanied by much research and study is best in my opinion.

So, it is in this manner, that I wish to try to understand why some vapers sub-ohm and others don't. I've been vaping for over 10 months now and have yet to feel the need to sub-ohm. I seem to be satisfied in the 1.5-2.0 ohm range. But many of my friends sub-ohm and I often ask myself what differentiates them from myself? If you are a sub-ohmer, please assist me in a survey of sorts:

1. I was a relatively light smoker for 25 years, a half pack a day at most (usually around 8 cigarettes a day). Could the urge/need to sub-ohm be related to how much and for how long a person smoked, or perhaps the strength of the cigarettes they smoked? I.e. Are former heavy smokers more likely to sub-ohm than light smokers?

2. With the above in mind, Is sub ohming a choice in your opinion? Do people do it just to "chase clouds" and for fun, or is there a need which is somehow not being satisfied with normal resistance vaping?

3. The sub-ohmers I've spoken with have indicated to me that sub-ohming generally doesn't require as much nicotine content as regular resistance vaping. Is there a desire to cut back on nicotine intake which motivates sub-ohming?

4. Should I just shut up and start sub-ohming already? :) Am I missing out on an incredible experience?

I certainly believe that sub-ohming can be done safely, so I'm not bashing it in any way, just trying to understand.

Thanks, and I appreciate any and all responses.

Last edited:

AntnyMikal

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Clarksville, TN, USA
I was maybe half a pack a day smoker too,

Now that I sub ohm it is hard for me to vape at a "normal" resistance. Most my builds are between .2-1.2. It's just not as satisfying, personally it's a flavor thing for me and not nicotine. I do between 0-6mg.

I vape less often in the day now with my current setups than I did with egos and tanks etc.

It's not about clouds for me, it's about flavor. I like heavy/100%vg. Which produces more vapor and can take higher heat without burning. I mess with builds for different juices for example:
Bobas is gold at around .2-.4 for me with thicker ga KA.
Fruits around .6-.8 KA ga doesn't really affect flavor.
Juices with less vg .8-1.2.

In my experience so far for me chasing flavor has led to clouds. More air more vapor more more flavor more juice getting vaporized. It's not that the flavor is better, but more full and dense. You start tasting new things, it's more intense. Best I can think of right now is my PTs and evods were like generic strawberry or chocolate shakes, my KFLs and modified PTs are like shakes from Sonics or DQ, sub ohm is like a shake I make at home with all fresh ingredients, it just pops more.

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I believe we must always seek to understand a phenomena, a behavior, an illness, a culture, etc before coming to any sort of conclusions, and even then I think we should be cautious. A scientific approach accompanied by much research and study is best in my opinion.

So, it is in this manner, that I wish to try to understand why some vapers sub-ohm and others don't. I've been vaping for over 10 months now and have yet to feel the need to sub-ohm. I seem to be satisfied in the 1.5-2.0 ohm range. But many of my friends sub-ohm and I often ask myself what differentiates them from myself? If you are a sub-ohmer, please assist me in a survey of sorts:

1. I was a relatively light smoker for 25 years, a half pack a day at most (usually around 8 cigarettes a day). Could the urge/need to sub-ohm be related to how much and for how long a person smoked, or perhaps the strength of the cigarettes they smoked? I.e. Are former heavy smokers more likely to sub-ohm than light smokers?
I was four years removed from a 35 year carton per week habit when I took up vaping. So for me I would think the smoke habit was largely irrelevant.

2. With the above in mind, Is sub ohming a choice in your opinion? Do people do it just to "chase clouds" and for fun, or is there a need which is somehow not being satisfied with normal resistance vaping?
My first foray into subohming was out of curiosity and exploration. I was building dual coils on an Helios clone which only had single 1.8mm airhole so I built both coils on the same side and placed them as close to the airhole as possible. I found it to produce an overly sharp and harsh vape and quit dabbling in it after a few builds.

A recent trip with a relative gave me cause to revisit the realm of subohming. This time around I built dual coils on an Omega clone which happens to have two rather large opposing airholes(2mm) and found it to be the most satisfying vape to date for me.

3. The sub-ohmers I've spoken with have indicated to me that sub-ohming generally doesn't require as much nicotine content as regular resistance vaping. Is there a desire to cut back on nicotine intake which motivates sub-ohming?

Nicotine intake was not a factor for me but the increased vapor density does equate to an increased nicotine intake per draw thus requiring fewer draws to amount to the same amount of nicotine.

4. Should I just shut up and start sub-ohming already? :) Am I missing out on an incredible experience?
I would say YES!

I would describe the experience as similar to that of the first cigarette after having to abstain for an extended period for whatever reason.

Typically for me this would be forgetting to take an extra pack on a all day excursion into the woods or riding home from out of town with a non smoker. I would arrive home unpack and stow whatever gear I may have, fall back into the comfy chair light the much anticipated cigarette, take an unusually long and deep hit which I would hold for a second then exhale with a relaxing sigh.

I did not know I missed that sensation but the dense, warm, moist and flavorful vape of a well built subohm dripper proved I had.

I certainly believe that sub-ohming can be done safely, so I'm not bashing it in any way, just trying to understand.

It can undoubtedly be done safely but a working understanding of ohms law and a definite knowledge of your batteries capacities is essential.

Contrary to my usual approach I would say do worry a little when it comes to subohming.:danger:

Thanks, and I appreciate any and all responses.

All that said, I do not fancy a subohm dripping setup at all times. I like it best as my settled in for the evening setup. During the day I will just as likely use a Kayfun tank and use an ego protank setup clipped to a necklace for portability and convenience when running errands or doing chores.

ENJOY:2cool:

CShaver

Cloudy Flavor All Day
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
Swoyersville, PA
1. I was at least a PAD smoker. I smoked roughly 20-25 cigarettes a day.

2. I use a Mech. The only way to increase flavor, throat hit, and vapor production is to manipulate the coil resistance. Right around .6/.7 is my sweet spot right now. It just feels right.

3. I sub-ohm on 18mg. I started on 24mg, but it was definitely a bit too intense when I got into sub-ohm. 18 is perfect right now.

4. You'll never know if you don't try it. If you don't like it, no harm no foul.

Personally, yes, you can get giant clouds with sub-ohm, but that's not why I do it. I do it because like I said in number 2, it feels right. I wasn't getting what I consider a satisfying hit with a normal resistance. When I used VV/VW, I had it cranked all the way up and it still wasn't enough. When I went to Mechs, on a normal resistance, it was even worse. My first sub-ohm build was a .8 and I had finally found something worth it. Now at .6, I'm in my own personal vape heaven. I don't feel the need to go lower, and every hit satisfies me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll qualify my statement that I am not a sub-ohm vaper. I have sampled my friend's sub-ohm setups multiple times at my local vape shop. For myself, I prefer a smoother and cooler vape. The sub-ohm setups that I have tried on my friends' setups have been too warm and harsh to MY liking.

I vape a genesis and kayfun-style RTA at 1.3 ohms or higher. I'm perfectly fine with this resistance for flavor and vapor production. I also use cartotanks.

Having had a battery explode in my first mechanical mod about 2 years ago, I have grown leery of seeing sub-ohm builds pushing batteries to their limits, so I won't do them. I'm a simple vapor who just wants a safe, reliable, and dependable vape, and I don't need to do sub-ohms or high wattage to accomplish that.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
1. doubt it. i smoked 2 cartons a week. 2 to 4 PAD. i sub ohm to get the richness and thickness that fills the void in lung/throat feel/fill (nit hit, density and texture) that cigarette smoke provided. some sub-ohmers never even smoked and some even sub ohm 0 nic. i think it's just a preference.

another reason i sub-ohm is length of draw. i can get a decent vape out of a carto. it just takes 6 to 10 seconds out of a perfect carto. with sub-ohm, i get a better draw/fill in half a second draws.

2. some do it "because cloud". there's always going to be that culture when inhaling a substance. it is what it is. it's not logical, but teenagers compete "to be the best" (or coolest) the same way a middle aged man might have a mid life crisis and revert back to teenage thinking with middle aged money.

then there's the other side who actually does it because it's more fulfilling for reasons other than their egos.

3. i think it's the other way around. people tend to not handle their current level of nicotine when they get in to sub ohm builds. unless they DIY, the price of juice is typically the same regardless of nic content. when you up your juice intake (speaking of sub ohming delivering more per drag here) and lower your nic concentration, you're typically intaking the same amount of nic, just diluted in a lot more juice.

for me, it's been just the opposite. i'm chasing satisfaction. even with the denser, fuller vape my nic is up to 42 mg/ml and climbing. this is allowed without harsh TH by using the cleanest nic i can find. it's been super clean and satisfying especially without flavor. k3vin is a supplier here and this is his nic... Nicotine - Vapers Tek

4. yes and yes. but start with a low nic on a setup with lots of air flow put together by someone who enjoys lots of vapor without harsh throat hit. you can tweak from there with simple adjustments such as moving the coil and wick up for more TH, adding a little resistance to cool the vape and lessen the vapor production, etc.

if you find it's not for you, no biggie. do what works for you. at least then you'll know it wasn't for you.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I'll qualify my statement that I am not a sub-ohm vaper. I have sampled my friend's sub-ohm setups multiple times at my local vape shop. For myself, I prefer a smoother and cooler vape. The sub-ohm setups that I have tried on my friends' setups have been too warm and harsh to MY liking.

they were built wrong for your liking, then. simple as that. though, you obviously don't need the vapor production to be fulfilled, so there's no need. but the idea that a sub-ohm build has to be warm or harsh is an uninformed one.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

I don't know if it's a desire or not, but it's a delusion if they think they are taking in less nicotine unless they have moved right to 0 mg in the process. If you have a sub ohm build that produces 6x more vapor you are exposed to 6x more of whatever is in that vapor in the process. If you increase the volume of vapor output you correspondingly increase your nicotine intake in the process. In so many words, it's the difference between ingesting a small 99 cent burger and a double whopper with cheese. And bacon.

Luke49783

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2014
Holland, MI
I recently started sub-ohming after smoking about half a pack a day for 3.5 - 4 years. I started on an Evod Twist with Mini Pro Tanks. Using my initial setup, I found that I'd sit at my desk or at home on the couch puffing away. Now that I use an RDA at around 0.7 ohms, I find that I'll take a few tugs, then my mod will sit for a while. I initially started using an RDA at around 1.5 ohms, the flavor was a definite step up from my MPTs, then once I got a mech mod and started going lower, the flavor got even better.

Regarding decreasing nicotine, as has been said, more vapor, more nicotine, so stepping down in nicotine allows you to vape more, which is a big plus if you're enjoying the flavor.

As far as clouds, they're, to me, an entertaining side effect. I do enjoy seeing how big of a cloud I can blow, but it's not my main goal. I only do it at home and see it as "what can I make this setup do", really just a competition with myself, trying to improve my rebuilding abilities. If I were getting huge clouds but poor flavor, I'd build something with a higher resistance if it increased flavor.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013

I've had that same thought. I was a pretty heavy smoker, 2 1/2 packs a day, and I smoked the red killers too, 100mm. I think you may be right, because I think it had something to do with what I finally came to for a satisfying vape, a mech and RBA coiled at .7 ohm. I went through some hardware before I got there, but I wasn't stopping until I was satisfied, and it took me only about 5 weeks or so.

Well normal resistance vaping just didn't do it for me. For one thing you had to be sucking on that thing too long to get a good hit, and I never got enough of a hit on eGo rigs, and I wanted it right now. Going sub-ohm gave me that immediate hit, and a good one, just like I wanted. I was never chasing clouds so much as just looking for a vape that gave me enough of a hit fast enough.

I can't really speak to that, although I started vaping at 18mg and now I'm at 12mg, so it might be.

Is your current vape satisfying you? If it is why bother going sub-ohm? Plenty of people are quite happy above 1 ohm, and there's nothing wrong with that. That said, there's also nothing wrong with trying it out and seeing if you like it either :D

Last edited:

Snickerfritz

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
USA
Since I had quit smoking (tobacco) some 11 years before I picked up vaping, I'm not sure I'm the best case subject, but I do it for the thick warm vapor. The greater nic absorption wasn't a motivating factor, but it was a nice unforeseen consequence, causing me to make the change to lower nic liquid. I think your last question gives up the game. Just try it already.

1ceCreamMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
New York
Testing out my new sub ohm coil at work just now
nynesuhy.jpg

But in all seriousness most of us do it for the thick warm vape and satisfaction from the clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread