Atto mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
So what's up? Just ordered an atto mod that should be here on Monday.

Curious what other "atto users" got runnin, build wise and atty, on their setup?

Also, if it's a clone or original, maker if Known. Hear stories of chips set to regulate at 3.7 and some unregulated, also some that have short protection and some without.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
The original supposedly has those features - yet I haven't seen anyone who actualy owns an authentic to discuss about the mod. The clone I received, does not seem exhibit those features, but I'm hoping it's due to a faulty chip... still testing, on day 2.

Discussion elsewhere notes that due to how the chip/mod is designed, there should be no possible way to add constant voltage regulation and/or other protections. I don't beleive it, but again I'm not an electronics expert either.

Reactions: rice721

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
20160506_123718.jpg

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Not fully guaranteeing anything, but my clone seems to atleast exhibit low battery voltage cuttoff. Testing it the other day and it was cutting off at 2.9v(kinda low... but not horrible I guess). As far as voltage regulation, I don't think so, but my chip is damaged/bad qc so I dunno if that might be an issue either and the chip isn't fully functional. There was some discussion elsewhere on the website and how the chip can't physically have those features due to design, but I'm no expert, also how the chip "steals" like .2v or more in voltage drop compared to any other "standard" mech due to how it's designed.

Anywho, I just rebuilt the atty I was planning on keeping with it so it would work optimal in 350 with the extra voltage drop.
ick9bA7g

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
so you said you tested it and the mod seems to have a shut off at 2.9v? Does the hard short protection mean that this thing is generally safer than a regular mech?

I did some more research on this and it seems that since the battery is positive side down and the mod itself has a large enough vent hole at the bottom, that this thing shouldn't turn into a pipe bomb IF the battery goes haywire.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
so you said you tested it and the mod seems to have a shut off at 2.9v?

Yeah, since I've noticed it I've ben running my batteries till the cutoff. It seems it actualy cuts off at 3v, but continuing to "attempt" to fire the atomizer still drains the battery tho the chipset does not output the power to the atomizer.

Does the hard short protection mean that this thing is generally safer than a regular mech?
I don't wanna test it and find out ;)
Il just assume yes, but stay precautious anyways.

I did some more research on this and it seems that since the battery is positive side down and the mod itself has a large enough vent hole at the bottom, that this thing shouldn't turn into a pipe bomb IF the battery goes haywire.
This was the huge selling point for me, honestly. This was a really great design.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Yeah, since I've noticed it I've ben running my batteries till the cutoff. It seems it actualy cuts off at 3v, but continuing to "attempt" to fire the atomizer still drains the battery tho the chipset does not output the power to the atomizer.

I don't wanna test it and find out ;)
Il just assume yes, but stay precautious anyways.

This was the huge selling point for me, honestly. This was a really great design.

I think I'm going to purchase a clone after returning to Shanghai. Its about $20 shipped, should be the first mod I have thats as close to a mechanical. Sellers video said the chip protects from a hard short and reverse battery (which he tested out the latter).

I also like how the bottom adjustor acts like an on and off switch so you can just loosen it to prevent accidental firing when pocketing this thing. The mod itself is 22mm in diameter?

Reactions: defdock

MadVLN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2016
Central WA State
i have a FT clone atto. it's the one that came with the Pico RTA clone. it came without logos, which i prefer. i like it. i mostly run it in 18350 mode. not sure what power it's kicking out. but it runs my nectar micro clone, le magister clone, k.loud+G and pico clone pretty good. i run those at 15-20w on my regulated mods.

SSfurHFl.jpg

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Yes, mod is 22mm :)

That "function" too sold me on it, just loosen the battery and throw it in my pocket.

Not sure which clone company your may end up being (I recall 3 different clone manufactures), but I hope you ended up with the sxk version like I did with all the "updates" on the chipboard vs the "original" chip.

there seems to be 1 thats incredibly popular on Taobao and its called "IN" clone. This "IN" if its a company also makes alot of other atty / mech mod clones. The sellers page also listed the chip as V3 and allows for a lowest build of 0.1ohm where as the previous v2 was 0.2ohm (never gonna go that low, even on a regulated).

I'll prob pair this with my serpent mini and build around 0.8 or even 1.2.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I am too happy to hear this.

I only thought there was a v2(v1.01)

Glad the chipset is still being looked at for further development. Might have to sorce me one of the new chips too :p

Just ordered it. Got the "in" version instead of the sxk one. Saw a different finish for the sxk clone but it was asking $50.

I'm going to assume that the short protection is to protect firing on an atty short and has nothing to do with a hard short battery protection?

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
I'm going to assume that the short protection is to protect firing on an atty short and has nothing to do with a hard short battery protection?
That would make more logical sence. I don't understand how a chip would protect from a hard battery short (torn wrap)

Lemme know how ya like it, when ya receive yours :p

I got one of my replacement chips today in the mail. Same "rugged" edges (not fully sanded) like the chip that came with my mod but the rest of the module looks in better shape. It seems/feels to be outputting slightly more voltage than the previous, guessing due to better solder job. Still testing for battery cuttoff though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread