Atty Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrt

Mar 12, 2011
spain
Soaking daily is probably overdoing it but it depends a lot on what juice you are using.Some liquids foul attys really quick.Blowing out the atty every night is a good thing to do.
If performance drops try soakin in water(hot,even boiling it for a bit).Vodka and pure grain alcohol will also dissolve some gunk but the real way to clean attys fully is here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/69834-my-atty-resurrection-method.html

Read carefully,it works great and if you like 510 and dripping like i do you'll save a lot of money and frustration.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Don't know what your water there is like, but the water here makes them taste like crap. If I'm going to boil out a bunch of old cartos I get a gallon of distilled water to use. For atties I use alcohol. After a couple of days, or when they start to fall off I just toss them in an old coffee cup with some alcohol and go to bed. In the morning I just blow them out, and they are ready to go.
    I will say this; if you don't wait until the coils are all gunked up with crud you won't have to dry burn them as often.

Jslay00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put a luer-cap on a 5ml syringe, fill it about 80% with alcohol, drop the atty in, shake (actually, rock back-and-forth) for less than a minute and repeat until the alcohol stays clear (3 or 4 times removes clear juice). I only do this once a week or so, or after I swap one out and store it. Once dry, I drip a few drops of pure VG and cap the atty for storage. Probably unnecessary but someone I trust once told me never to store an atty "bone dry" and it seems to do no harm.

Bottom line: Depending on your juice, you probably don't need to clean them nearly that often (nightly). Hot water works better than cold. Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA) runs through the air vents easier, evaporates faster and probably leaves less residue than tap water.

(Just my opinion)

Last edited:

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 19, 2011
    Beyond The Sea
    I use standard 510 attys and do soak them nightly if they're dirty, or leave them and use again next morning if pull and flavor are still good. The main reason I soak is I'm too lazy to run them under hot water at bedtime. I don't bother with vodka or alcohol, but do dry attys using batts everyday, dry burn if they're really dirty. All attys working after 5 months.

Dicot

ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2011
    Chicago Suburbs
    I used to be big on cleaning out my atties on a regular basis but over the course of these 5 months I've realized the best way to maintain them is to only clean when they really need it. Clean it too much and you're liable to break it.

I've been running one of the standard resistance 510 attys that came with my eGo kit back in april for 5 months now and it still produces plenty of vapor. My method just consists of blowing it out when it's flooded and doing a mini-dry burn when it's not producing a decent amount of vapor. I maybe only do a full rinse/dry burn once every three to four weeks on average, ie when blowing it out and a mini-dry burn don't help. I also use HingPing's method for the full rinse/dry burn that mcrt posted.

Some juices will gunk up an atty pretty quick, namely thick and dark juices. Tastyvapor Tastyfinger, and Vaperite VR4 are two juices I love that will unfortunately tear up an atty in no time. It sucks, but I love those juices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread