Audio Jack Connections - Mod Gods Please Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor Fiend

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Cali4nia
Alright so first off, I don't even know if this would work. I theorize that it could work. But I don't think I have the engineering capacity to make it work.

Just look at these pictures and you'll instantly get what I'm proposing here.

IMAG0232.jpg

The thing sticking out of the bottom of this cartomizer is called an 1/8 audio input jack. I'm sure everyone has seen one of these before on a pair of headphones.

IMAG0231.jpg

Ok so you get the idea. This is about as far as I got. I was able to take an old (and dirty, I know) cartomizer and figure out how to get one of these 1/8 jacks in there. I was messing with an old wet box as what I was going to plug this into, but I quickly realized that it's a bit more difficult than I thought it would be.

The hard parts:

A. Connecting the coils to the male end of the 1/8 jacks.

B. Figuring out how the hell I'm going to get the female end in something.

C. Connecting everything with wire.

This is where I need help. Honestly, I'm not good with this type of stuff, but I think I'm on to a good idea at least. So I am offering this up to anyone who loves this type of stuff. I would absolutely love to see this actually work.

Here's some more pictures just for s&g's.

What the 1/8 jack looks like when taken off a pair of headphones. There's a center post and an outer ring that you would have to solder to.

IMAG0235.jpg

You can see that the parts of metal are separated by some black insulating plastic. If you look at the pictures above, you can see the rings of black plastic on the jack. You would have to have something touch one piece of metal as the positive, and then another piece of metal as the negative.

What the female end of these jacks do is have two pieces of copper or brass that are bent and touch the right areas of metal on the male ends, and also help to hold the jack in place.

Here's a diagram for you to stare at:

cache.php

And I realize this next image is stupid, but it's actually pretty good at showing what the female end looks like on the inside:

jack.plug.TRS.jpg

So anyways, discuss. Maybe someone has thought of this before? I think it would work. I hope it would work. And hopefully someone out there has the time and ability to make it actually work because it would be just so much easier than dealing with threads. That's all for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread