AW batteries for mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this, but with all the discussion lately about the AW batteries and mods, my head is spinning!

I have a couple different kinds of AW batteries, and had been under the impression that they were the safest for my mods.

PLEASE.. battery gurus and mod makers alike... I would love to get your input and recommendations!

1. are the red AW batteries protected or not protected?
2. are the red ones safe?
3. are the red ones safer than the others?

and

4. are the grey AW batteries protected or not-protected?
5. are the grey ones safe?
6. are the grey ones safer than the others?

HELP! :?:

thank you!

kboyts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Warren, Ohio, United States
In my reading I have been considering getting two of the IMR type batteries but am concerned about run times with the lower mah ratings of them vs the regular AW batteries 550mah vs 750 mah I believe.

But with the lower internal resistance was thinking they may work more efficiently , causing the lower mah rating to not be as big of an issue.

Anyone have any experience with this to contribute?

EDIT: Im speaking of the 16340 size

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Higher mah does not actually translate into longer useful power. The AW IMR's (high drain) deliver more consistent power until they drop off. Regular protected batteries start dropping at a fairly even rate once you put them on a mod. So, with the AW IMR, you get more time at consistent and higher voltage. There are charts that show this, but I can't locate them right now. Does that make sense?

This only applies to the AW (red) high drain batteries. The BDL's (blue) have been disappointing.

Angler

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Ausable River
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this, but with all the discussion lately about the AW batteries and mods, my head is spinning!

I have a couple different kinds of AW batteries, and had been under the impression that they were the safest for my mods.

PLEASE.. battery gurus and mod makers alike... I would love to get your input and recommendations!

and

HELP! :?:

thank you!

I have no experience with Lithium batteries but I have been doing a lot of research on them in this site and on CPF (Candle Power Forum) and I just ordered my batts today.
AW IMR batteries are unprotected Safe Chemistry batteries. Protected batteries have a chip on one end of the cell that will supposedly keep the battery from over or under charging and prevent it from reaching the danger point. The problem with Protected batteries, to me, is the protection circuit could fail and you wouldn't know it until it was too late. They can and have exploded. Safe chemistry batteries do not have enough oxygen in them to explode. If something bad happens to a safe chemistry batt it will vent but it will vent without flame.
As far as run-time goes, that is an argument that I've read on ECF ever since before I joined the site. AW IMR batteries are the safest recharchable lion batteries on the market and there is no argument about that. That's just the way it is. I will go with safety first every time. It doesn't matter to me if I get an extra hour or so from a protected battery or not, I will play it safe. The word Protected in a battery discription is very mis-leading in my opinion.

btw:the red AW batts are the AW IMR batts and they are the safest

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

and

Short and basic answers:

!. Not Protected
2. Yes, BUT all batteries can be hazardous
3. Yes

4. Protected
5. As safe as any lithium battery can be
6. They are by a good manufacturer, so they would be considered safer than many lithium batteries

The basic problem with lithium batteries is that if they overheat/short they go into a chain reaction which will reach extraordinarily high temperatures and can explode. If they catch fire, they will emit hazardous gases and continue to burn until they are done. That is why if you are using lithium batteries, they need to be protected (have a cut-off circuit). The problem is that the protection can fail. That is why you want to buy only high quality protected batteries from good manufacturers.

The AW IMR (red) are so-called safe chemistry batteries. If the battery fails, it will over-heat but it will emit non-hazardous gas instead of exploding.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Another question about these aw imr batteries. Can I use the same charger that I use for my protected lithium ion batteries? I assume I can because the voltage is correct. Just wondering.

If the charger has a overcharge protection circuit and doesn't trickle charge then yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread