The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Bad Atlantis Coil

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Trailz, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Trailz

Trailz Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    After a break in period with this coil, I would get a burnt taste whenever I went above 25W. I suspected a "hot spot" on the coil and believe I was right. Just an FYI if this happens to you.

[​IMG]

2. maraud

maraud Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    That's a bummer, mine is working well so far. Their size should make them fairly easy to rebuild though. I wonder what ga wire they use.

3. BMH70

BMH70 Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    PA
    Same thing here, first coil was outstanding! Then had 3 bad coils in a row....4th one is good like the first. Sucks....$15 down the toilet!

4. Trailz

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    1st was great, you saw the 2nd one, 3rd is good so far. This evening i pushed it up to 35W and got a burnt taste so I took it back down to 30. Then I changed the air flow to the 3rd biggest hole and it 35 was OK. So I pushed it up to 40W and another slight burnt taste. Put it on the largest air hole, went up to 40 and it's been fine. Lesson learned is you have to open the airflow as you increase your wattage.

5. Bman123

Bman123 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 16, 2014
    Akron Ohio
    That sucks getting bad coils like that, I know I would be pretty pissed off. I just got my tank today so I'm still on the first coil

6. Akasticker

Akasticker Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2013
    Philadelphia
    These coils are build with nr-r-nr wire. Only the middle coils are supposed to get power and heat up. That coil looks like almost every coil I've seen torn down including one I took apart after a weeks use.

7. Trailz

Sep 4, 2014
    NE OH US
    This was 4 days old. May have been user error on my part based on my earlier post about the airflow settings. Curious to hear what gauge coil folks have used to rebuild these.

8. MstrSHAKE

MstrSHAKE Full Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Miami, FL
    So id imagine the coil itself is fine, maybe some cleaning would do bring it back to life. The wicking material got a little burnt up but like mentioned above, it seems like thats just how the burn pattern will be because of the nr-r-nr coil. My teardown of one of the Atomizers was very similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.