Basic Questions: Helping my Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom had been smoking for 45+ years in a row. When she went to the hospital, she was not able to smoke and since she came home, this is the longest she has maintained not smoking. It has been almost 3 months. Lately though, she has been demanding to go get cigarettes. I know she will not last very much longer unless I do something. She is extremely stubborn and once her mind is set to something (whether right or wrong), there is absolutely no persuading her to change it.

Anyways, I believe she will go buy a pack of cigarettes within the next couple days if I do not do anything. I'm thinking about getting her the E-Cigs, without nicotine, but hide the fact that there is not any nicotine, in order to hopefully get her through this tough time. Since she doesn't have any nicotine in her system, I do not want her to take the e-cigs with nicotine.

Any advice to what I should get for her, and where I could possibly get it here in Toronto? The Dune E-Cigs are sold in Shoppers Drug Mart downtown.

Thanks for anyone who can help me out here.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
Okay, so the quickest solution would be to pick up whatever you can locally just to keep her off cigarettes. I would caution against no nicotine, because if the ecig does not satisfy her, she will likely get real smokes. After you have addressed the immediate need, look into a better solution than whatever you get for her, think of that as a "throw away" just to get her through.

HTH

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Even with nicotine - if you can get it at your location - might be much better than analogs. Nicotine is toxic alright, but it isn't the only culprit when comparing vaping to smoking. I'd even get her some dual coil thingie like the iclear16. They generate big phat plumes of vapor, so the visible cues are more than present :) .

Thank you so much guys for your immediate responses. I'm desperate to try and make this stick as I believe this is the last opportunity for her and for the 20+ years of my life I've tried everything.

I'm hoping not to have to get her the Nicotine e-cigarettes, because wouldn't her craving be simply of habit instead of a nicotine craving since it is completely out of her system?

She can be easily fooled into thinking it has nicotine in it as she does not know there are non-nicotine cigs and I can simply just black out the packaging that indicates it. S

Last edited:
An Ego starter kit would probably work great for her. The throwaways tasted really bad to me and they may turn her against any ecig in the future. She needs a good experience the first time.

If the Ego starting kit is the way to go, I will search for a place in Toronto that has it. I dont think I have the benefit of waiting as she is getting increasingly problematic about getting cigarettes, and appealing to any notion of reason or any kind of sentiment from anybody in her family is simply being refuted by oh well. She is very STUBBORN and I am positive she would have went to buy herself a pack already if her leg was alright to go to the store to get one. It has been 3 months of no nicotine and Im convinced that getting her through another month might be all I need to hopefully having this stick.

I was a 50 year smoker. The ego type is what got me off the stinkies. If you can take a ride over to the place you bookmarked, they should be able to help you out.

You guys are amazing. I really appreciate the help from everybody. Ego is the one I will go and buy today. Just trying to find a closer one to go to but regardless I will get one today. I hope this will be what my mom needs to keep her going.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Thank you so much guys for your immediate responses. I'm desperate to try and make this stick as I believe this is the last opportunity for her and for the 20+ years of my life I've tried everything.

I'm hoping not to have to get her the Nicotine e-cigarettes, because wouldn't her craving be simply of habit instead of a nicotine craving since it is completely out of her system?

She can be easily fooled into thinking it has nicotine in it as she does not know there are non-nicotine cigs and I can simply just black out the packaging that indicates it. S

You cannot stop her from smoking. It has to be a decision that she makes herself.
I would not try to trick her. Even if she does not "know" there is no nicotine... Her body will and then you are just setting up for failure.
Get her nicotine and then she can enjoy her e-cigs and after a time, if SHE chooses, she can lower the strength of nicotine.

Nicotine is not the most dangerous part of analogs. It is the 4000 other toxic chemicals.
So maybe chill out about the nicotine part. Do not set her or yourself up for failure.

She is an adult so treat her like one.

AthensGa

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Athens, GA USA
Ask someone addicted to alcohol or some other unmentionable substance. They don't become unaddicted once the "stuff" is out of their system. I do not believe I will ever not be addicted to nicotine. I may one day be able to do without it, but one cigarette and I'd be right back on that gravy train without vaping.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Ask someone addicted to alcohol or some other unmentionable substance. They don't become unaddicted once the "stuff" is out of their system. I do not believe I will ever not be addicted to nicotine. I may one day be able to do without it, but one cigarette and I'd be right back on that gravy train without vaping.

Exactly! That is why I am very careful about labeling myself an EX-smoker rather than a NON-smoker. I know full well that even though I do not smoke anymore, I can always relapse. That is why ecigs/PVs are so great. They give me an infinitely better substitute to fall back on rather than going out and buying a pack of smokes.

OP Best of luck to you and your mom.

You cannot stop her from smoking. It has to be a decision that she makes herself.
I would not try to trick her. Even if she does not "know" there is no nicotine... Her body will and then you are just setting up for failure.
Get her nicotine and then she can enjoy her e-cigs and after a time, if SHE chooses, she can lower the strength of nicotine.

Nicotine is not the most dangerous part of analogs. It is the 4000 other toxic chemicals.
So maybe chill out about the nicotine part. Do not set her or yourself up for failure.

She is an adult so treat her like one.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I promise you, I am not being facetious or condescending towards my mom. Everything I'm doing comes from caring about her well being. I believe she will thank me one day if it proves successful.

I was not aware that electronic cigarettes had other harmful chemicals in them?

If there is no longer any nicotine in her system, then it must be about the routine and the act rather than the chemical substance. I thought nicotine-free e-cigs would be the answer, especially because she has mentioned them.

I guess it's a losing battle and my reasoning is somewhat flawed. I just wish I could see how she reacts to the nicotine free e-cigs, and if that is not enough, I will be the first one to get her the nicotine one to prevent her from picking up another cigarette. I just want to do what's best for her health. I practically gave up on her ever quitting until 3 months ago and only recently I believed there was still a chance.

Based on online research, it says the THREE month period is the last notable significantly difficult time for somebody who quits cold turkey. I almost believe if I can keep her without nicotine for another month, she might be able to make a decision with a clear head.

AthensGa

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Athens, GA USA
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't try to help your mom. Get the nicotine free ones and see if it will work. She might be one of those that can do it. The problem is that if she is really having cravings, feeding the hand to mouth fixation will not be satisfying. It might taste good, it might be fun but it will not get rid of a nicotine craving.

If she falls back into smoking, try the ones with nicotine and slowly wean her off.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I smoked for almost 40 years and was able to quit several times for no more than 4 months. It was clearly not about the nicotine alone. Quite honestly I picked up a Blu and that was it for me - although it's been less than 2 weeks, I'm absolutely sure that I don't need the stinkies anymore. I think she might do just fine to start on a Blu. And, yes, I would get some with a little nicotine - I think you can get 12mg (I got 18MG).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread