Batteries getting hot using a regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hooked up a twin pack of 3.6v lithium baterries and ran it through a 5v regulator.
My atomizer was getting plenty of juice but the batteries were really getting hot (very quickly). I removed the connection to the atomizer but the batteries continued to get hot. Needless to say I disconnected everything at that point.
My question is this. Was it foolish to even try and use a regulator, or could there possibly be a short somewhere and the regulator will work if I can correct the shorting problem.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I just hooked up a twin pack of 3.6v lithium baterries and ran it through a 5v regulator.
My atomizer was getting plenty of juice but the batteries were really getting hot (very quickly). I removed the connection to the atomizer but the batteries continued to get hot. Needless to say I disconnected everything at that point.
My question is this. Was it foolish to even try and use a regulator, or could there possibly be a short somewhere and the regulator will work if I can correct the shorting problem.

1st Things 1st:
- Check & Double Check All Wiring
- Check & Double Check How The Volt Reg Is To Be Wired in
- Draw Yourself A Simple Schematic To Refer To
- Use A Meter & Check For Shorts, Wiring Errors & Measure Resistance On The Atom, Etc.
- If You Don't Have A Volt / Ohm Meter Get One
- Post Your Wiring If U Want So It Can Get Looked At

Hope That Helps
:D

Never Give up! :cool:

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Thanks for the replies. I was mounting this on an altoid tin. Everything was working until I fastened the unit to the tin. What happened was the tin was acting as a ground after I hooked up the regulator and I was shorting out with one of my positive wires. As Dustin Hoffman was told in the Graduate. Think plastic.

Glad U Found That Short! Getting It Fired Up & Post A Pick! :D

~Keep Vapin~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread