Batteries not lasting as long

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have two batteries (18650 MXJO) and an external charger. I use them in my single battery mods and never push the watts high (mostly from 14 to 25 watts) They are doing fine but don't seem to last as long on a full charge as when they were new. Haven't kept track of how many times I've charged them (I've had them for 10 months but only charge them about twice a week so guessing 80 cycles) What should I expect as far how many more cycles and will they continue to last a shorter time? I just got two new batteries but they are for my new dual battery mod and I would rather not use them for anything else. I'm not worried... should be able to get batteries even after Sept.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Mxjo is another iffy source re wrapper of mostly unknown cells.

Stick with name brand cells, bought only from known reputable sources.

Mooch has put great effort in suppling solid info.

Choose from regulated power device chart ---> Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    10 months is a long time. I would say that it is normal that they are not holding a charge as they used to 10 months ago. How much vaping time have you lost per charge, roughly?

Also, at what amperage do you charge at. It's better for your batteries to charge you batteries slower (lower amperage) than faster. It can lengthen the life of you batteries.

But I can give you an idea of what I have experienced with Samsung 25Rs. When brand new, they can last me 3-4 hours of vaping but after 4 years, they only last about 1 hour or so and the voltage sag is atrocious lol. I keep them anyway and use them in my 18650 flashlight.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    10 months is a long time.
    I don't think so, but much depends on how hard they are used.

I just took a a pair of Samsung 30Qs out of service after 26 months of daily rotation in my ADV/EDC mod. This means they were charged every other day, so call it 390 times. Caveat: I use them in a mech squonker, so I really only use the top half of the charge in the cell each time.

Here's the discharge curves:

Bzn3S9G.png

1 and 2 are the cells in question. 3 and 4 are identical cells, purchased at the same time, that were never used. The two used ones still have ~89% of their rated capacity. The two unused ones are ~96.5%.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Mxjo is another iffy source re wrapper of mostly unknown cells.

Stick with name brand cells, bought only from known reputable sources.
    They were actually a PIF from a friend (he said if I stop buying internal battery mods, he would give them to me) They have worked fine so far. My new batteries are Sony VCT5a... Mooch approved (should just order two more)

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have two batteries (18650 MXJO) and an external charger. I use them in my single battery mods and never push the watts high (mostly from 14 to 25 watts) They are doing fine but don't seem to last as long on a full charge as when they were new. Haven't kept track of how many times I've charged them (I've had them for 10 months but only charge them about twice a week so guessing 80 cycles) What should I expect as far how many more cycles and will they continue to last a shorter time? I just got two new batteries but they are for my new dual battery mod and I would rather not use them for anything else. I'm not worried... should be able to get batteries even after Sept.
    Always only used matched pairs of batteries in a dual mod, same type, same make, buy from new and keep them matched through their life.
    Most batteries are pretty good for around 350 to 500 charge discharge cycles. You will notice a drop off in usage time from fully charged to discharged as they get older.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have Four LG HG2's that are in a Daily Rotation for my Daily Driver.

A Fully Charged Battery will last me about 24 Hours @ 25 Watts ( about 8 Amp max battery draw) on this mod. When they come out of my Mod, they are at about 3.5 ~ 3.6 volts. All my Batteries have/are Charged @ 0.5 Amps.

All of the 4 seem to have about the Same run-time as when they were New. And the Total mAh charged is about the Same also.

I had to dig back in my records to Find when they were purchased. But I found the Order Confirmation from IMRBattery. It was Dated 8-31-2016.

So for this Four Battery rotation, that would be about 350 Cycles or so each.

I've thought about getting 4 New Batteries and downgrading this Rotation Set to On-the-Go Mods or Flashlights. But it's one of those things that just keeps working. So it Doesn't seem like a high priority.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

A Fully Charged Battery will last me about 24 Hours @ 25 Watts ( about 8 Amp max battery draw) on this mod. When they come out of my Mod, they are at about 3.5 ~ 3.6 volts. All my Batteries have/are Charged @ 0.5 Amps.

ETA:
    This 4 Battery Rotation is currently used in a Wismec Surface Squonker @ 25 Watts / 8 Amps.
    Before that they went into a RigMod RSQ Squonker @ 25 Watts / 8 Amps.
    And before that, they went in a Coppervape Mech Squonker @ .400 Ohms /10 Amps.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I have Four LG HG2's that are in a Daily Rotation for my Daily Driver.
    I ran LG2s in a two-battery rotation for two years prior to the 30Qs referenced a some posts up. I did not notice any real decline in performance, but an actual capacity test down to 2.8V had them looking considerably worse than the 30Qs that were run exactly the same way for two months longer.

One of these days, I'll start a thread with all my data.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Status