Batteries not lasting as long

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I recently bought a batch of Molicel P26A 18650s for $3.95 each. Mooch calls the the best all-around 18650, slightly ahead of the VTC5A. I don't think I've ever paid more that $7.00 each for 18650s.

I agree that they are great cells, especially for higher wattage amp draw. If they only made a 3000mah cell I'd jump all over them. 10W vaping keeps me picking 3000mah cells for the vape time.

I have 4 of the Molicel P26A 18650's and they are good cells. I don't really notice that much of a difference in vape time compared to my older 30Q's, HG2's and VCT6's.

Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I got the Sony VCT5A on sale for $3.99 each ;)
You did well. I bought a bunch of those last year for my aging tests. Having now bought some P26As to add to those tests, and having tested 10 of each for capacity and AC-IR, my personal opinion does not align with Mooch's. I think the VTC5As are marginally better cells. They have a lower AC-IR, and "brand new" (i.e. never cycled) they are more consistent in both capacity and AC-IR than the P26As, which is not to say the P26As are "inconsistent" only that the VTC5As are more consistent. This tells me that Sony/Murata has tighter/better manufacturing tolerances, which I suppose should come as no surprise. That said, the P26As do have ~67 mAh more capacity than the VTC5As, so....

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I agree that they are great cells, especially for higher wattage amp draw. If they only made a 3000mah cell I'd jump all over them. 10W vaping keeps me picking 3000mah cells for the vape time.

I have 4 of the Molicel P26A 18650's and they are good cells. I don't really notice that much of a difference in vape time compared to my older 30Q's, HG2's and VCT6's.
In my own real-world use, I don't find a noticeable difference between any of those. I run mech squonkers with ~0.75 ohm coils, so I'm by no means hard on any of these cells, and I swap 'em out after roughly half a bottle of juice, which means I've generally not pulled more than 1000 mAh from 'em.

However, there is definitely a difference in how they hold up with that use. In that respect, 30Qs did much better than HG2s, having retained more of their original capacity and having less of an increase in AC-IR.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveP

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I understand (and these batteries were given to me, I didn't choose them) Mooch says they are actually only 20 A

I meant the MXJO batteries.

My response you partially quoted was speaking about the VTC5A's you bought, and general info.

VTC5A is a 2500mah 25a CDR cell.

The maximum you're drawing from the cell used in a single cell power device at 25w is 8.3 ish amps.
You lost run time/vape time compared to a decent 3000mah 15a - 20a CDR cell and gained nothing in return.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Shopping around for new cells to replace some that are several years old. Molicel is high in the list right now. I already have 4 and they seem to match or exceed all others I've used. Funny, though, out of the four I bought recently two are at 50 milliohms IR and two are around 95 according to my MiBoxer C4 charger.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
In my own real-world use, I don't find a noticeable difference between any of those. I run a mech squonkers with ~0.75 ohm coils, so I'm by no means hard on any of these cells, and I swap 'em out after roughly half a bottle of juice, which means I've generally not pulled more than 1000 mAh from 'em.

However, there is definitely how the hold up with that use. In that respect, 30Qs did much better than HG2s, having retained more of their original capacity and having less of an increase in AC-IR.

I'm in the same range as you with my vaping style. 10W vaper and last time I looked my .68 ohm coil is drawing about 3.3A.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Can you just charge them one at a time, but put the battery into the 1A left slot? According to this review that will work fine and will charge a single battery at 1A:
    The instructions said if only charging a single battery to put in the right slot... very interesting (that sure would be nice to be able to charge one at a time at 1A) It's OK, this is working fine (maybe not as convenient but it was nice to wake up with both batteries charged) Maybe I misunderstood and it meant use the right slot for a faster charge (single battery) As usual, you are always very helpful.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    @AngeNZ , I just read the review... you are the best! Mine is simple black but the same model shown. The slots are not labeled (1A,2A) and it never mentioned this except that when charging two it was 1A each and single in the right slot was 2A( I guess they assumed you would want the faster charge rate) I will trust you on this... single battery, left slot it is (so much easier that way) :thumb:

Reactions: Katya

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    The instructions said if only charging a single battery to put in the right slot... very interesting (that sure would be nice to be able to charge one at a time at 1A) It's OK, this is working fine

I very rarely read and/or follow instructions. I always read a review on an item I have instead, you find out so much more information that way

• Agree
    Reactions: Katya
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread