Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
So currently my mod is running 2 Samsung 30Q batteries. What is your favorite long lasting batteries to use? What I have is good but I would like to get some new longer lasting ones. Suggestions?
This completely depends on how you are vaping. I'm guessing this is a regulated device. What wattage are you running it at?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Once you figure out how many amps you pull when vaping on that mod, this chart should be of good use to you (click to enlarge)...

49fa6133-d87a-4630-9fff-bcc3831185b1-jpeg.874743

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    At 40-80W in a dual configuration the 30Q is already one of the best. The Sony VTC6 3000mah might give you slightly more vapetime when new, but differences are negligible and the 30Q catches up and eventually overtakes with every recharge cycle.
    Stay away from those higher capacity cells like the Sanyo NCR18650GA and LG MJ1, because their performance sucks at those wattages.
    The Sony VTC5A 2500mah might be an option if you vape more in the 80W range because of better cycle life, but vape time is still compareable to the 30Q.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    In a dual battery regulated mod at 45W, the Samsung 30Q and the Sony/Murata VTC6 perform about the same. In a dual battery regulated mod at 80W, the VTC6 lasts a little bit longer, and continues to last longer all the way so the 30Q never catches up, and never overtakes anything. That's just because, at 80W in a dual battery regulated mod, you're not abusing these batteries. Only when you start to abuse them, that's when the 30Q might be a better choice. See:

Bench Test Results: Which lasts longer? VTC6, 30Q, or HG2?

That said, an even much better choice would be to never abuse any battery. Ever. That plus the fact that, vaping at anything higher than ~80W on a dual battery regulated mod the Molicel P26A is simply going to be the better choice anyway in the first place so then it shouldn't matter one iota the fact that, under abusive circumstances, the VTC6 appears to age noticeably faster than the 30Q. As for the Sony/Murata VTC5A, yes depending how high you set the wattage on your regulated mod it used to be among the best possible performers available to us. But not anymore. The P26A took over from it in this regard a very long time ago, which was immediately as soon as Mooch tested it.
    :banana:

Last edited:
    • Disagree
    Reactions: mimöschen

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    I'm a bit worried about your obsession with rear ends. Maybe you should pay your proctologist a visit? Or less visits?
    Never mind.
    Even in the video above you just linked, mooch states that the 30Q most probably has better cycle life than the VTC6.
    The "probably" in your last remark is yet another perfectly clear example of why the one being obsessed with pulling stuff out of your rear end is you. Twisting Mooch's words and then pedantically attacking everyone who dares to call you out on this type of behavior seems to have become a personal hobby of yours, as everyone can see.

• Disagree

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    In contrast to you I didn't attack anyone in this thread.
    Not even you.
    Btw there's no need to twist mooch's words. Just ffwd to 13:35.
    There's no "probably" anywhere to be found at 13:35 in that video. So thanks for proving my point entirely.

So here are some real facts. Due to the lower DC internal resistance of the VTC6 compared to the 30Q, if we can assume the discharge current will be the same for both the VTC6 and the 30Q, the VTC6 runs at a slightly higher voltage during the discharge cycle, all the way from start to finish. However, this is not how a regulated mod works. If the board in a regulated mod receives a higher input voltage from the battery, it causes the board to draw less current from the battery. As a result, the VTC6 runs at an even higher voltage throughout, when compared to the 30Q. This is because the voltage you get from a battery is linked logically to the current. It isn't a big difference of course, but it's still nevertheless there. Drawing less current causes a battery to internally heat up less significantly.

Granted, Mooch's test results did reveal that, discharging the VTC6 and the 30Q continuous at 15A, the VTC6 ran hotter by one degree Celsius (i.e. 65°C for the 30Q versus 66°C for the VTC6). But then, continuously discharging them at only 10A also revealed that the difference in temperature was zero difference (i.e. both of them attained 51°C). Please note, this is discharging the batteries continuous, allowing no time for the batteries to cool back down to room temperature that would effectively reset this one degree difference in temperature back to zero difference. Also please note, vaping at 80W, or lower, on a dual battery regulated mod is discharging these specific batteries at currents that are actually lower than 15A, significantly lower at the start of the discharge cycle due to a regulated mod increasing the current with every puff in order for it to compensate for the fact that the input voltage decreases with every puff that discharges the battery further.

My point being, when Mooch stress-tested these two different batteries, these kinds of differences in temperature were heavily magnified due to running the batteries at very high temperatures for prolonged periods of time, while at the same time also exceeding their official specs according to the respective official datasheets of both the VTC6 and the 30Q, as these two different official datasheets specifically state a temperature limit (i.e., 80°C for the VTC6 and 75°C for the 30Q). In a real-world usage scenario, what truly happens is the exact opposite of magnification. The accelerated aging effect caused by, and DIRECTLY caused by pushing these batteries to and above their limitations fades into the distant ladscape, when we already know that the primary cause of accelerated aging is called heat. So when vaping normally, these significant differences in the amount of heat that occurred inside the batteries in Mooch's test procedure are a zillion times smaller, and, the difference in accelerated aging effect that was 5%-6% difference, gets reduced to microscopic proportions, when, by mere definition alone, there simply exists no significant ACCELERATED aging effect if you use your batteries NORMALLY.

Speaking of "probably", probably I should add that the longer-lasting battery of the two (i.e. in pure terms of the vaping time you get before you need to put the battery back on the charger), which is the VTC6, ages slower due to having to recharge it less frequently. So, even if you COULD assume there exists a slight difference in accelerated aging effect between these two different batteries, be it due to chain vaping them or whatever, it still gets cancelled out anyhow. That is, as long as you don't start to exaggerate with how hard you chain vape. In which case the P26A would win like I previously said, anyway in the first place, as that one ages slower AND it gives you more vaping time, if you bump up the wattage up higher than ~80W on a dual battery regulated mod, also anyway in the first place.

The bottom line is, Mooch never said anything from the likes of "probably the 30Q, when compared to the VTC6, ages slower to the point of it catching up and overtaking the VTC6". You pulled that out of your rear end because you're the one being obsessed with trying to look smart on the internet.

• Disagree

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    So currently my mod is running 2 Samsung 30Q batteries. What is your favorite long lasting batteries to use? What I have is good but I would like to get some new longer lasting ones. Suggestions?
    I vape at similar wattage to you, between 50-70W, dual 18650 mod also.
    I bought 3 sets of batteries: two pairs of LG HG2 (which are quite close to what you've got), and few weeks ago I bought two Molicel P26A. The Molicel batteries significantly outperform the LG HG2 at the wattage I use them at. I'd say I get about 50% more battery life out of them. There was a price difference but nothing too crazy. So If you buy a pair of these, you won't be disappointed.

• Agree
    Reactions: Skwij
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread