Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
One more thing about doing the "quick test" ie internal resistance with the OPUS. I first put one cell in slot 1. It gave a bad reading, 8888. I then tried it in slot 3 and it gave the correct (hopefully) reading. I tried the slots for this test, appears to me if testing one cell (you would probably test one at a time normally since such a fast test) put it in slot 3. For fun I put one in slot 3, while it was in there (very short time) I put another in slot 2, slot 2 then worked. But I suggest just doing one at a time, in slot 3. Also when running the resistance test it says the battery should be fully charged before running the test.

• Optimistic

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I read that review, another said the same thing. Said something about them being rewraps of a cheaper LG model. But I didn't have much choice with my "borrow" as that is all they had ;) Should be good enough to get me through the 3 days until my Samsungs arrive, assuming they are not fakes.
Not trying to knock the battery, just wanted to share mooch's test results since you were doing some testing yourself. As long as you use it as a 20A battery it should be a decent cell.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
Not trying to knock the battery, just wanted to share mooch's test results since you were doing some testing yourself. As long as you use it as a 20A battery it should be a decent cell.

Yeah, for all possible future battery purchases I will definitely be checking Mooch's reviews. So far the best 18650s seem to be the 30Q, one of the Sony models and one of the LG models.

• Agree

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So far the best 18650s seem to be the 30Q, one of the Sony models and one of the LG models.
"Best" batteries for you and your application. (And for me, too.)

For others who may be reading this thread, "best battery" should be defined as the best battery for the application being used. The above batteries mentioned can be categorized as the ideal batteries for someone who vapes under 40 watts on a regulated mod or someone who doesn't build lower than 0.3 ohm on a mech.

Should someone vape over 40 watts on a regulated mod or lower than 0.3 ohm on a mech they need to use a higher amp battery.

I'm perhaps being nitpicky here, but I didn't want someone who is new to choosing batteries to be misinformed about what the best batteries are. Batteries should be chosen based on their specifications and the application that they will be used. ;)

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Heh, ebay as they had a 15% off yesterday :( Unfortunately it seems a lot of batteries being sold at ebay are Chinese fakes. I don't see how two models of the same batteries could look EXACTLY the same other than the INR/ICR printing, even if there are INR and ICR models would think they would be a different color and some of the other numbers would be different.

The last place I’d try to save money would be the batteries. Not worth the risk imo. 15% saved you how much? A couple of bucks? Wow.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
Well the batteries arrived. They are NOT genuine, at least according to my tests. Arrived charged to about 3.8-3.9v. I did a charge test, top off, discharge, charge, have about 1900 capacity, not 3000. Internal resistance about 35. Will just consider it a learning experience I guess. What is strange is the person's feedback, on this item probably over 50 feedback and ALL positive, not one negative. Only thing I can guess is no one actually tested the capacity, just used them.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
What is strange is the person's feedback, on this item probably over 50 feedback and ALL positive, not one negative. Only thing I can guess is no one actually tested the capacity, just used them.
Most people just believe what they are told. They don't give a second thought that a battery could be fake or mislabeled. Just pop em in and go.

The guy at my local shop sells re-wraps that claim to be 60a, but are actually 15a. He runs his in mech mods with 0.08 ohm builds and told me "if they were 15a batteries, they wouldn't have enough power to fire these coils" then commences to fire the mod. But he does say his tube gets very hot and needs to cool down all the time.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The guy at my local shop sells re-wraps that claim to be 60a, but are actually 15a. He runs his in mech mods with 0.08 ohm builds and told me "if they were 15a batteries, they wouldn't have enough power to fire these coils" then commences to fire the mod. But he does say his tube gets very hot and needs to cool down all the time.
I know the type very well. The first time I went into our only local vape shop, I asked what external batteries he sold. I find that is a pretty good indicator of the knowledge of the shop owner. He showed me these:

image-jpeg.605799

Of course, just the fact it was an MXJO caused my red flag to wave. I asked him if he had ever heard of Battery Mooch. No, he hadn't. I explained who he was and had him pull up Mooch's blog on his laptop and look up that particular battery's bench test results. MXJO Yellow 30A 2900mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a preposterously overrated 10A/2700mAh battery

He didn't appear to be fazed in the least. He said he was able to buy these batteries in bulk for a good price, and he couldn't do much better for a 30 amp 2900 mAh battery. :rolleyes:

He said he doesn't visit any online vape forums because there are "too many know it alls".

That pretty much sterotyped this vape store manager for me, and I very rarely buy anything from this store.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I know the type. The first time I went into our only local vape shop, I asked what external batteries he sold. I find that is a pretty good indicator of the knowledge of the shop owner. He showed me these:

image-jpeg.605799

Of course, just the fact it was an MXJO caused my red flag to wave. I asked him if he had ever heard of Battery Mooch. No, he hadn't. I had him pull up Mooch's blog on his laptop and look up that particular battery's bench test results. MXJO Yellow 30A 2900mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a preposterously overrated 10A/2700mAh battery

He didn't appear to be fazed in the least. He said he was able to buy these batteries in bulk for a good price, and he couldn't do much better for a 30 amp 2900 mAh battery. :rolleyes:

He said he doesn't visit any online vape forums because there are too many "know it alls".

That pretty much sterotyped this vape store manager for me, and I very rarely buy anything from this store.

I did the exact same thing, but the guy refused to look up mooch. Here is the batteries he pushes.

20180817_112845.jpg

He runs them in tube mods and a HOG. Since they sell tube mods and recommend these batteries to all newbies, I affectionately refer to this store as "Pipebombs-R-Us".

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since they sell tube mods and recommend these batteries to all newbies, I affectionately refer to this store as "Pipebombs-R-Us".
I wanted to rate and give this a funny icon, but on second thought its not funny at all.

The sheer amount of ignorance and misinformation found in many vape shops is appalling. Caveat emptor = buyer beware.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Not that I am a fan of licensing everything (really, I'm kind of not) but if someone who cuts my hair has to have a license to do it, well, I see no reason for Vape Emporiums to not have a license.

Oh, I know they'd hate it, but there needs to be some sort of test. Of course, if I were out to make the most money with the least of education and concern, well, IDK, I'm not that person. I don't find the behavior of said Vape store owners to be at all atypical honestly. It's just unfortunate.

Anna

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
It's much like salespeople in music shops. To Hell with what the kid should have, the parent is steered to whatever special has the best profit margin.

Or walk into a motorcycle dealership. They will ask every question about down payments, credit scores, loan arrangements. But seldom will they ask if you even have a motorcycle licence.

(of course, not all, but I've seen plenty of both)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not sure if everyone is aware of the influence Mooch has had on the Chinese battery market. His criticism of useless pulse ratings and his worldwide notoriety has the ear of many Chinese manufacturers whose target consumer base includes vapers.

Some have begun to use the more useful continuous discharge rating (although still including a useless pulse rating too). For those who have China manufacturers make the cells they wrap, they have tried to up their previous low standards to the higher standards used by the Japanese and Korean manufacturers. But sometimes those China manufacturers slip in lower quality cells without the wrappers knowledge.

I think eventually some group will start policing all of the battery manufacturers' standards, but until that time comes we need to continue as is. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread