Battery Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnipshoe

Jul 6, 2015
India
So I bought me self the precious P3 from the United States. Now using it in India. Just got the stock 18350 batteries that came with the starter kit. I want to buy the 18650 batteries as well here. Slightly sceptical reading about the dangers of improper battery care/usage.

My options available here are:

1) 18650 - Panasonic 3.7V 3400mAh

2) Samsung 3.7V 2600mAH

Which one should i go for?

Reactions: MsLoud

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I'm assuming you mean a Provari P3 which I think is a 20W mod. What atomizer do you intend to use with it?
I'm pretty sure that both those batteries are ICR chemistry with a 5 to 6 amp continuous discharge rate. Without knowing anything else I would say those are unsuitable for use with your device. Ideally you want a battery that uses the IMR chemistry with at least a 10 amp CDR.
I suggest you shop around and see if you can get some Samsung 25Rs or some LG HE2 oe HE4 which are reliable 20 amp CDR bateries.

Reactions: turnipshoe

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Can't identify which Panasonic or Samsung batteries you are looking at from what you provided. They should have a MODEL, in addition to a size (18650) and Mah and voltage...
There ARE good Samsungs, and some OK Panasonics - but there are also some that aren't "High Discharge" that aren't the right type.

Samsung INR 18650-25-R is a GREAT battery. But I think it's 2500 not 2600 mah, so I don't know which one you're looking at!

Can you buy batteries online? If you are looking at websites and provide links, people here can advise on which is the better battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Being that the P3 requires at least a 10 amp continuous battery, the Samsung 25R (20 Amps) is the better choice over the Panasonic 18650B (6.8 Amp) battery.

By the way, the INR Samsung 25Rbattery is an IMR Hybrid that is both safe chemistry and high drain. INR stands for lithium nickel round. Adding either nickel or manganese to lithium cobalt batteries makes them safe chemistry.

The Panasonic NCR (nickel cobalt round) 18650B is an IMR Hybrid that is safe chemistry but NOT high drain. It's chemistry is weighted more to the ICR side to gain more capacity (mah), so by doing that it is no longer becomes high drain (higher Amp). Batteries with different chemistry makeup have different properties:

• Higher mah (capacity) batteries have low amperage limits (not safe chemistry)
  • Higher amperage (CDR) batteries have low mah capacity (called high drain batteries)
  • In between, we have the IMR/hybrid batteries which are a "go between" between the above with both acceptable mah and amp CDR. (Both high drain & safe chemistry)

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Also will using a battery rated 3.6V (Battery Rated Voltage) instead of 3.7 make a difference?

Not at all. :)
    It's just a "nominal" voltage specification that helps to differentiate between different battery chemistries. It tells us where the battery will spend most of its time operating when a fairly small amount of current (compared to what's needed for vaping) is being drawn from the battery. The amount of current you use when vaping will have a much bigger effect on the battery voltage as it's being used than the nominal voltage specification.

Reactions: turnipshoe
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread