The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Battery charger

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by KCBeatty, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. KCBeatty

KCBeatty Full Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Louisiana
    Need a recommendation on a deferent charger. I have a good charger from efest "LCD universal". The charger works just fine. The problem I have is the slide mechanism that slides to fit the different size batteries, in my case 18650, is so strong it is causing damage to the insulation on the positive end of the batteries when inserting removing the battery. I retire the battery if there is damage to the positive insulation and is getting expensive. The chargers I have looked at online seem to be built the same way.

2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I use an Enova Gyrfalcon All-44, an Enova Gyrfalcon All-88, and an Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus. All have similar slides. The trick is to grab the battery, and push it down, then lift it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KCBeatty

KCBeatty Full Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks for your reply Shawn, I like the xtar Dragon you have, maybe I should also need to buy a better grade of battery also.

It is hard for me to get my big fingers around and grip the side of batteries and safely remove the battery.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    That's why those Gyrfalcons are so nice. The slots for the batteries are very wide. The All-88 will handle 8 x 26650 at the same time. 18650 and 2x700 cells just pop right in (or out). The Dragon is certainly more feature rich, but I prefer the design of the Gyrfalcons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Battery wraps and insulators are extremely cheap and easy to change.

Battery Wraps | Li-ion Wholesale

But I do agree that any charger that rips insulators and wraps is best placed in the round file (aka a garbage can). There's no excuse for such poor design/engineering.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. UncleJunkle

UncleJunkle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    UDIO, Clown World
    Wait a minute. It just dawned on me that you might be talking about the Efest LUC 2 or LUC 4 chargers. I have both.

They do not rip the insulators on the batteries unless you're just pulling the battery straight up and out of the charger.

In that case, a new charger will never solve your problem as this is a user error problem, not a charger problem. You absolutely must pull the battery back in it's bay and then lift it out for save removal without damage to the battery insulator or wrap.

Learn how to remove batteries properly. Those LUC chargers are very good, long lasting chargers for their price point. Mine are over 5 years old.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. KCBeatty

KCBeatty Full Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks, Unclejunkle, I promise that I remove the batteries carefully The damage starts as a slight crack and progresses from there. I haven't discarded any batteries, just put them in a safe place. I will take your instructions on shrink wrapping my own batteries. Thanks, guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stols001

stols001 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2017
    You can also lubricate and stretch your slides. My first charger, the sleds were really rough so I stretched and lubricated them until they slid more easily after messing up a battery or two.

I mean, you don't HAVE to the instructions for removal you are getting are correct but doing so might make your life a little easier. Etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  9. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just use the cell to push back on the slide and then lower the positive end into the charger. Reverse the process to remove. If the slide is taller than the cell, just pull back with your finger, drop the cell in, and ease the slide against it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    Best way is to carefully position negative end in the charger and then slide back and fit the positive end in place and charge, to remove grip the battery and push backwards slightly keeping tension on the slide and charger and let the battery move forward while holding it after you have released the positive end, otherwise the slide will spring and cause damage

• Like Like x 2
  12. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    The tension on the slide should not cause damage to the positive cap or the bottom of the battery if you fit and remove in the correct manner,and as you said above make sure the batteries are legit and not fakes, I only use Samsung 18650 and ljoy 20700 batteries from a reputable supplier

• Like Like x 1
  13. KCBeatty

KCBeatty Full Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thank you, sounds good advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. KCBeatty

KCBeatty Full Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Louisiana
    The actual issue is caused by my fingernails. I have to push down on the top of the battery before being able to lift it out of the charging channel. This overtime stresses the shrink. My charger has a negative terminal on the slide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    Welcome and hope you find a solution to your problem, seems like you got it sorted out now

16. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    Sorry, yes you are correct, just had a look at the charger you have, and I now understand your problem, but not got a clue how to help, sorry

17. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    I use one with a sliding spring negative post, completely different from yours

18. DaveOno

DaveOno ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

The slide doesn't hurt the battery IF you place and remove the batteries carefully.

But it happens. A bit of juice on the fingers, doing it one-handed while holding the mod and the next battery, I'm guilty. I have a LUC 2 bay.

These springs are too strong, IMHO. So much so that one of them broke at the solder joint. They shouldn't be strong enough to launch the battery!

So, I opened mine up, replaced the broken spring with a much gentler spring. I didn't have another to replace the other bay, so I stretched the original spring to weaken it's pull. I suggest you do the same, if you are confident in your ability to fiddle with it.

At the least, put the mod down and use 2 hands.

Best of luck.
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marper

Marper Moved On

May 20, 2019
    The problem is its a side loaded charger, not a spring slide loaded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.