The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Battery Drop! Dent! damn!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by JJ Hair, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. JJ Hair

JJ Hair Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2018
    Hey guys and gals of the ECF!!!
    Just received two sets of 25r’s from IMR and have charged and drained them maybe two three times each. I dropped one minutes ago and have dented the edge of the negative. A very minor dent on the edge of the negative which has created a cery slight dent on the flat or bottom of the negative. I tried to get a pick but it was hard to capture. Is this safe to use?
    Regards

Attached Files:

2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Sorry, can't see in the photo. Is the wrap damaged or the metal can itself? If it's the can it's to be recycled.

3. JJ Hair

Oct 10, 2018
    Wrap is fine but there is a bit of a flat spot. Then the bottom has a very slight crease for lack of a better description.

4. G and C

G and C Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2014
    California
    I would say remove the wrap for a closer inspection of the can itself. But only if you have the ability to re-wrap, which is super easy with the right stuff.

If you're really in doubt, recycle it. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Problem is if you did enough damage to dent the can you may have damaged the internals. If you have an extra wrap pull this one off and examine the metal itself. If it's fine, rewrap and use. If it's not, rewrap for safety and recycle. It can be hard to see what's under the wrap and as it's easy to replace it's the best way of examining the actual battery for any damage.

It may well be just fine. Just give it a good look, and if still in doubt try another photo and posting it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Storm52

Storm52 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 27, 2014
    Shreveport, LA
    Are you certain that the wrap isn't flattened and the base is fine?

7. JJ Hair

Oct 10, 2018
    Wrap is fine. The bottom looks like it has been push up a tiny bit. There is a minir flat dent on the edge of the rim.

8. JJ Hair

Oct 10, 2018
    Another question can i use the undamages one as a single in a single battery mod?

9. Storm52

Storm52 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 27, 2014
    Shreveport, LA
    Certainly.

10. JJ Hair

Oct 10, 2018
    D3029AC6-A247-4A57-9DA5-4690E6B56AB1.jpeg ACC0CFF3-A444-46C8-BF8A-FE3059A5BB44.jpeg

11. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I would not risk using a dented cell. The outer casing is not that thick and any imperfections to the internals, even at a microscopic stage can lead to a failure – how dramatic, couldn’t tell ya…never had one fail!

As for your lonely widow battery, absolutely use it in a single cell device. It just cannot be married again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JJ Hair

Oct 10, 2018
    I was waiting for you to show uo! Hapoy new year! Yeah that was my gut but was kinda hoping to be convinced otherwise. These are the batteries we spoke of last time. I will recycle the damaged cell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Happy New Year!!

So those are the ones you ordered from the US? (Can’t remember what vendor). They didn’t last too long…or at least the one didn’t. But no fault of the battery. Maybe time to invest in a large pillow for your battery swaps ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    I can't see any dents. Maybe some close ups?

Oh, yeah, now I see it.

I'd say you're good.

Now, you just need to rewrap your battery.

Though, if it's a pair, you wouldn't do bad if you were to start over.

15. Punk In Drublic

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I would not risk it. You have a copper sheet with a graphite coating that is ~mm thick, this is separated from an aluminum sheet with a graphite coating by a thin plastic film. Any imperfections with the aluminum and or copper from say a shunt could result in burning through the plastic film causing a short. Below is a microscopic picture of a failed cell that demonstrates breaches to the plastic film. Each point is 20 μm, a human hair is 50 μm for reference.

failed 18650.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Jwaterski

Jwaterski Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2013
    OKC, OK
    It's probably fine, replace it! If you stand on your roof in a thunderstorm, you probably won't get struck by lightening either, I still wouldn't do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Based on the second set of pictures, definitely recycle and replace.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.