Battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob2655

Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Rochester Hills, MI
Hi all, I'm a recent convert to the Reo family (and love them so much I've already converted 2 of my buddies ;)) and I could use a little help with an issue. I noticed poor performance on my TRA Grand + RM5 today, and knowing it had a fresh VTC5 in it, put it off to one of the posts coming a little loose. I got home and checked the posts, and all were tight. I slid the door off and looked at the top of the battery to see if I was making good connection when I fired, and it started sparking off the top of the battery when I pressed the button.

I've been running this setup lower than I normally do, at .25 as opposed to .6-.7 (yes, it has the SO kit installed). Tried another VTC5 and it's doing the same thing. I highly doubt both batteries would fail at exactly the same time, so I'm thinking it must be an issue with the build being too low or it's the mod. Any advice on what it might be? Thanks!

edit: I swapped out the RM5 for an LP RM with a 1.1 ohm single coil, and I'm still getting sparks off the top of the battery and low performance. Pretty sure it must be the mod at this point.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
sparking? Wouldn't that imply the contact isn't connecting properly to the battery? No space = no arc = no spark...

I'd get it fixed, personally...

Not the way a Reo and the switch in it works. The problem the OP is having is when the switch contact touches the battery positive - that's how a Reo completes the circuit. That can happen in any mechanical switch when you complete the circuit and pull a huge amp load.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
It has been well documented the VTC5's arc at almost all resistances. It has something to do with the composition that they make the posts out of. There was a thread here in REOville a short while back I think Zmauls started. Most people using them don't even realize it unless in the right setting that they even arc at all in the higher resistances.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Double check that the nipple is tight on the 510 center pin. This holds the firing pin in place and makes the electrical collection. So if it's loose it could cause sparking.

IMAG1896-M.jpg

IMAG1897-M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread