Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Single 18650 mod with a Hobo V2 - since its my first rda targeting .8 or .9 Ohms - I have .26 Kanthal on 8 wraps. I haven't hooked it onto a meter yet to test the resistance. Waiting for the batteries to arrive to wick and test.

Something about this is worrying me -- you know you don't wick up your coils and put them on your mod with batteries to test, right? If you have a multimeter, simply do each coil while also doing the post -- and if you're using an ohm reader you screw the atty on, you'll wanna do it before you wick it up.

Oh, no, yeah - I built my coils but haven't tested the resistance yet because I don't have double As for my meter. I will get some tomorrow and then check the resistance on the coils, before wicking, yes. Then my VTC4s should arrive around Wed and I can enjoy my first RDA, hopefully. I know to test the ohms before wicking.

Well now I can chuckle at my newbie mind process... because once I hooked my build up to my ohm reader it came back at .45ohms. I was originally looking at my Kanthal width of 26 on 8 wraps and cross-referencing this coil chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZEtmY0pPYzBvdUw2blJHVjdkc1E&usp=sharing#gid=0 making me think .9 would be the outcome.. well not in a dual coil silly me. Using Batman's link on the battery drain Battery drain | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators I see my build will pull 9.33A off the battery which has a max 30A and cuts my battery life down to about 15mins total runtime. So yeah, I will be picking up 2 more batteries to keep my rotation with 4. All these charts and calculators are very helpful, so thank you Bruce (you don't mind if I call you Bruce, do you - it is so much easier) for the links. I also decided the Steampunk clone is crap - my Hobo doesn't sit flush and there is about a half an inch gap between the top pin/mod top and the bottom of the atty... oi vey! So I have a Stingray on its way from Mad Vapes instead. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Eventually I may try to get an adapter to fill the space, but I image there will be more V drop by using one. Funny - now I see how newbies can end up spending more money than they would like when they start out, for it is a bit of experimentation to get it right and I find myself falling into that niche quite perfectly.

Now I have one more question on batteries - I have read in threads here and there the idea of "marrying" the batteries.. and while I understand what that means, not sure I understand why that would make any difference in battery life. If anyone could either preach to me why that matters or why it doesn't, I would be thankful.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
TimeLordSavant said:
Well now I can chuckle at my newbie mind process... because once I hooked my build up to my ohm reader it came back at .45ohms. I was originally looking at my Kanthal width of 26 on 8 wraps and cross-referencing this coil chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0 making me think .9 would be the outcome.. well not in a dual coil silly me.

Let's take a moment to give thanks for meters.

TimeLordSavant said:
All these charts and calculators are very helpful, so thank you Bruce (you don't mind if I call you Bruce, do you - it is so much easier) for the links.

You can call me flower if you want to, but pals usually call me db.

TimeLordSavant said:
Now I have one more question on batteries - I have read in threads here and there the idea of "marrying" the batteries.. and while I understand what that means, not sure I understand why that would make any difference in battery life. If anyone could either preach to me why that matters or why it doesn't, I would be thankful.

Quick note: I'd have seen this eventually but for a seperate Q like this you'd probably get the fastest (and most) responses as a seperate thread.

Second quick note: If you're thinking about stacking two 18350s or something in your mod, I highly recommend against it. It isn't very safe. At all. And regeneration for a Time Lord only happens when you're fatally wounded, not when you lose a chunk of your face.

Answering your question: There are two situations where you'd marry your batteries; when they are in a series or parallel. It's most important for series, or stacked, where it looks like one large battery -- double the voltage with the same amperage and capacity.

You want your batteries to discharge evenly, otherwise one ends up charging the other which can end up making things go wonky. Marrying keeps them as similar as possible out-of-the-box.

If they are in parallel, like in a box mod, your capacity doubles and so does your amperage, while voltage stays the same. If they aren't at exactly the same, one battery can still end up charging the other one.

e.g., if you took two 18650s, and one was a year old... well a lithium automatically loses 10% of it's charge over a year. They both start at 3.7v off the charger, but partway through a vaping session one will have less power than the other, and that's where the wonkiness starts.

Thanks for the tips, as always db. I guess I could call you "a blue double-bloomed poppy" - perhaps one that grows on the eastern slopes?... and the reference would apply accordingly.

I do not plan on using them stacked or parallel - so marrying them shouldn't matter then, if I understand you correctly. Just using a single 18650 mod. If I ever go for a box mod, this will help my understanding, but I really don't see that in my immediate future.

Yes, this Timelord likes this face, for now anyways, so thanks for helping prolong it.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
TimeLordSavant said:
I do not plan on using them stacked or parallel - so marrying them shouldn't matter then, if I understand you correctly.

Yep! No need to marry them if they aren't being used together, can rotate them in and out. All the other uusal battery-safety stuff with a mod still applies.

TimeLordSavant said:
Yes, this Timelord likes this face, for now anyways, so thanks for helping prolong it.

Welcome! I accept payment in hugs or cookies, whichever you have more of. Automatic gratuity of 17% applied for parties of 5 or more.

I already went with the VTC4 - arrived yesterday a set of 2 - and now just waiting for my mod. Not too interested in going lower than what I'm at for now (.45 ohms) and feel that is a bit of jump from the iSmoka Eleaf iJust Variable Voltage Full Kit I have been using for the last 6 months. Only really going to an RDA because waiting around for replacement coils to be in stock drives me crazy at times, especially when I find out I can build my own coils so much cheaper then using pre-made atomizers. Going to save me a lot more $ than I am already saving by quitting analogs in the first place by going to RDA. Thanks for the suggestion though and may look into them if I have any issues with the current pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread