Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Heylo everyone!

So, I've always been a built-in-battery kind of guy, just for the simplicity... Well, I went out of my comfort zone and bought a Snow Wolf 200W... I mainly bought it for the new TC chip it utilizes (also being used in the Sig 75W), but will definitely use the power too. I doubt I will ever break 100W though, maybe even 80W. Also, the form factor is beautiful... 200W and TC in a package a little bigger than an iStick 50W (that's why I chose it over the IPV4).

Now, before I wen't 100% regulated I was regularly using mech's and have about 8 18650's. Six of them have been extensively used, but the last two were bought about two days before I retired my mechs. They were each used once (in a single 18650 mech) and discharged to 3.4V, recharged, and stored in a battery case in my closet.

So, with these batteries that were used once, would it be safe to pair them for the Snow Wolf 200W that is on the way? Or should I only go with brand new unused batteries?

I have my cart loaded on Orbtronic with 4 Samsung 25R's (I will never go above the 168W they can handle together), but I'd like to save money if I could and only buy one extra pair.

What is the significance of pairing batteries?

Thanks for any input!

Vape Happy,
Cullin Kin

Reactions: six

SassyCoder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2014
United Kingdom
Heylo everyone!

So, I've always been a built-in-battery kind of guy, just for the simplicity... Well, I went out of my comfort zone and bought a Snow Wolf 200W......

What is the significance of pairing batteries?

Thanks for any input!

Vape Happy,
Cullin Kin

Simply safety.

I'm no expert but I was advised to have 2 pairs one for when the other is charging/not being used after fully charged.

I was told to always charge my batteries in pairs and to also use the in pairs i got a sharpee pen and just wrote on them. To take it one step further i always put the #1 battery on the left and #2 on the right then #3 on the left and #4 on right when pairing and putting it in my device. I don't think it matters which way around you put them as long as they are kept together.

Some one with more knowledge can dive into the safety aspects.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'd be comfortable doing so (assuming they are the same manufacturer/model). What to make sure of: Make sure they are charging and discharging at the same rate. When you pull them out to charge, make sure the discharged voltage is really close to the same. As you charge them, make sure they charge as quickly or as slowly as each other. This is a lot easier to accomplish if you have a charger with a voltage readout like an X-Tar VP2 or something similar.

Just by the way: Even if they were brand new batteries, I'd give the same exact advice about making sure they are charging and discharging pretty equally.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Simply safety.

I'm no expert but I was advised to have 2 pairs one for when the other is charging/not being used after fully charged.

I was told to always charge my batteries in pairs and to also use the in pairs i got a sharpee pen and just wrote on them. To take it one step further i always put the #1 battery on the left and #2 on the right then #3 on the left and #4 on right when pairing and putting it in my device. I don't think it matters which way around you put them as long as they are kept together.

Some one with more knowledge can dive into the safety aspects.

Thank you! Yeah two pairs, that's why I want to use my pair of VTC4's used only once, and buy another pair of the Samsungs. Ha ha, well that definitely keeps things equal!

I'd be comfortable doing so (assuming they are the same manufacturer/model). What to make sure of: Make sure they are charging and discharging at the same rate. When you pull them out to charge, make sure the discharged voltage is really close to the same. As you charge them, make sure they charge as quickly or as slowly as each other. This is a lot easier to accomplish if you have a charger with a voltage readout like an X-Tar VP2 or something similar.

Just by the way: Even if they were brand new batteries, I'd give the same exact advice about making sure they are charging and discharging pretty equally.

Thanks Six! They are a pair of VTC4's. I have the Nitecore i4, it has those charging indicator lights. I'll borrow my neighbors multimeter and set up one of my old mechs and test their discharge rates, then test the charging rates.

Orbtronic has an awesome deal on the 25R... $5.99 per if you buy 2, $5.69 per if you buy 4-9, and $5.39 if you buy 10 or above. :)

SassyCoder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2014
United Kingdom

Yeah I have an x-tar vp2 charger and also a voltage readout but i've never used it nor do i even know how to i got it as a gift with 2 extra batteries (so I have 6 in total) by a vendor on ebay.

Reactions: jmercury1

SassyCoder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2014
United Kingdom
Thank you! Yeah two pairs, that's why I want to use my pair of VTC4's used only once, and buy another pair of the Samsungs. Ha ha, well that definitely keeps things equal!

Yeah I use samsung in my sig. I have 3 pairs of the same batteries. not sure if it's unsafe to use different pairs from different companies.

Should be ok ^_^

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I think you are fine as long as they charge/discharge same voltage rate as well. I am using some sonys in the Ipv4 that were not necessarily paired when i got them, were used in mechs etc. They are at the same voltage when i take them out with roughly a .1 max voltage difference

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Assuming they were intact discharged, and charged similarly, you should be okay. Ideally, you want two batteries that were purchased and used together in the mod. Consider picking up a pair of LG HE4's. $12 on eBay, shipped for the pair.

That's a good deal as well! I will probably pick some up when I get more danero.

Reactions: GrandSam

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Here's a tip for writing on batteries. The wrappings are so shiny that Sharpie markings will rub off in no time. I had a problem with that and asked for advice on the battery forum. The suggestion I got was to mark your batteries and then cover the writing with transparent tape. Worked for me.

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
Correct me if I am off, but in the solar panel world where we install batteries for backups, we pair them always. The idea is they work the same work and die the same slow death. If two differing batteries are paired (age, brand etc.) your mod will ask too much of the weaker one trying to match the available power of the stronger one. Its like if your right arm is really strong and your left is not. What happens when you are doing pullups all day, at some point your weaker arm will fail and you will fall off the bar. Several cycles on a battery will not diminish a battery enough to make it a bad mate in a "pair". Just make sure you fully charge both (same type, brand) batteries and use together from pair till recycle. Make sure to watch the charging every few weeks to make sure they are mostly equal when first putting in charger. If after several months battery (a) is 3.2v and (b) is 2.7v cycle it once more and check. If still off that much, switch their respective locations in your mod. If problem stays with battery, time for a new pair and split them up. If problem follows location of sled position in mod, then you must do some more troubleshooting. I accidentally put a 4.2v battery in with a 3.2v battery and my sig 150w showed 100% for a few puffs till it died. When I tested voltage one read 3.8v, the other 2.2v. Woops. Recycle bin hello.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
Just charge like batteries in pairs and use them in pairs ie pair of he2,4's vtc4,5's etc. It doesn't matter which side of the sled you put them in either. People read way too much into these batteries. They are not matched by voltage amperage or internal resistance and every battery you pull off the shelf will be different. I've used new and reasonably new with no issues for years. A good charger and not overly discharging makes all of the difference with these batteries. I've got 6 sets of vtc 5's and could care less which two I use they are not matched in any way important any way except by purchase date which means nothing.

Reactions: jmercury1

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
So I just received my 2 new pairs of Samsung 25R's, along with my nickel wire... And guess what? My TC mod was delayed another day... Of course.

Anyways, I labeled the pairs A1, A2, B1, and B2. I've heard it's best to use the batteries straight away without charging first, then charge them. Is this correct? Or should they be charged first?

TonyB66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
London, UK
Always fully charge batteries before using them.

Switch paired batteries around so you don't use the same battery in the same slot every time. Even paired batteries used in parallel can discharge at slightly different amounts so it's better to switch them around (use 1,2 then when next charged 2,1) etc.

Reactions: roxynoodle

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Switch paired cells around when you charge them? Or when you put them back into the device?

I only ask because I can't think of any reason to explain how cells will be discharged at different rates when used in parallel. They will run down at different times but that's because of the slightly different capacity, internal resistance, and self-discharge rate each cell has. It's not because of the cell's location in the battery holder.

Switching cells around when you charge them makes sense if you have a multi-bay charger that charges to a slightly different voltage in each bay. But, even then, the voltage difference isn't cumulative and it gets "reset" to just that small difference each time you charge the cells.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I switch them both in the mod and in the charger.

I also have the i4. Slots 1 and 3 charge together as do slots 2 and 4. So I married batteries 1 and 3 together, and also batteries 2 and 4 together for all of my dual battery mods.

This is how I keep track. We will look at just pair 1 and 3 for simplicity:

Battery 1 in slot 1 of mod, battery 3 in slot 2 of mod.

When its time to charge and change batteries, now battery 3 I remove first (from second slot of mod) and it goes into slot 1 of the charger. Then I remove batt 1 from first slot of mod and it goes in slot 3 of the charger. Now they are in the correct flip flopped positions for their next use.

Once batts are charged, I know they've been flipped for their next use so I put them in that order in the battery case. The batt in slot 1 of the charger goes into the battery case first (next to the hinge) and the batt in slot 3 goes into the case next to the latch.

By always following that proceedure I'm able to keep track of the flip flopping for 4 mods.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread