Battery question - 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I use the Samsung INR18650-25R. That is all I have ever used. I need new batteries and IMR batteries is a recommended supplier. So I go there and find the battery at this link

Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh 20A Battery

and it says not to be used in e cigs...WTF? It is the first warning on the page --

exact wording
DO NOT USE WITH E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, OR SIMILAR device

Is that just a standard warning or am I looking at the wrong battery.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: Beamslider

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Yup, Between liability, politicization, FDA, media coke sales personnel, and a few ...... building pipe bombs with atomizers this is what you get. And the herd stampedes aimlessly through the desert. Round and round they go. Where the stop nobody know.

Oh edit. This does not reflect the the stance of the displaying channel, or something like that.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
My suspicion is they realized that most of the people returning bad cells were vapers (because it’s probably most of their market) so they inoculated themselves against returns. Kinda stupid. Fewer vapers will buy their cells and business will suffer.

That and a lot of the manufacturers are putting that label too. Might have told them they had to do it.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes standard warning on all the batteries there. Covering themselves and the manufacturer. Can't blame them
Depends. Ducking law suits due to user error is one thing. Ducking returns is another. Of course I don’t know how they could prove a battery was used to vape with. There’s also the question of how many customers they scare away

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Check Mooch's recommended batteries and only buy from trusted vendors (see list at the bottom of the chart).

img_4813-jpg.643937

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Check Mooch's recommended batteries and only buy from trusted vendors (see list at the bottom of the chart).

I did check it and that is why I was questioning the disclaimer. Just did not sit too well with me so I am not too crazy about buying from IMR and will look at some of the other vendors. Here they are getting a big plug from Mooch and they have this disclaimer ----

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Yup, Between liability, politicization, FDA, media coke sales personnel, and a few ...... building pipe bombs with atomizers this is what you get. And the herd stampedes aimlessly through the desert. Round and round they go. Where the stop nobody know.

Oh edit. This does not reflect the the stance of the displaying channel, or something like that.

When my kids started driving I explained battery safety to them. It was included in the general light maintenance section of my car lecture. When I got to the car battery portion, I had them stick their tongue across the connections of a 9 Volt battery. Partly to make a point. Partly for my own amusement because I hate lecturing people. I think I was able to successfully communicate the importance of being aware of potential energy and kinetic energy, and why the operator of a motor vehicle needs to be aware of both. You don't need to be afraid of batteries to treat them properly. But a little fear can sharpen your desire to be responsible.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Pretty sure they are just ducking lawsuits. It seems to be on all the batteries. Including the Ijoy 26650 which I bought a couple of a few weeks back.

What else would anyone buy that battery for?

iJOY 26650 4200mAh Battery
Flashlights, people would buy that 26650 to power their flashlights. That's just one of many uses for this battery. The warning was most likely spurred on by their lawyers to avoid lawsuits. I don't think it's for avoiding returns & refunds. Just because if the battery vented and someone tried to return it I doubt they would have a case. For the battery to vent it would be user error and not a defect. Even if it was a defect the only way to prove it would be to show the defect before a venting episode. Then I'm sure they would refund/replace the cell but after I think you'd be out of luck. Just my :2c:

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread