Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have been vaping with 18650s in my mechs since 2014. I see all this new hype for 20700 and 21700 hybrid mods and am thinking about getting one. Whats the benefits and differences between 20700 and 21700? Do they hit harder? Obviously they have better capacity than 18650s.
The main differences between 18650, 20700, and 21700 batteries are physical dimensions and specifications. Larger physical dimensions means more electrolyte can be packed inside the cell to pump up the specifications (primarily the capacity or mAH, but may increase the CDR a bit). Downside with the larger batteries is the larger dimension meaning they require a larger and heavier battery device.

Do they hit harder? I have no idea as I only deal with 18650-size batteries myself. @Mooch would be a better person to answer this question as he has done bench tests on hundreds of vape batteries.

Mooch said this about the Samsung 21700 30T:

"Right now this is the best performing cell available to us for higher power levels and unregulated/mech mod users. The 30T is a true 35A 3000mAh 21700 cell that hits harder than any other round battery we use. New cells are always coming out but the 30T is king right now.

Samsung rates this cell at 35A continuous and 3000mAh."

ee44ae9c-5c06-4ac6-888e-3fa7d520fc73-jpeg.806213

Click pic to enlarge to full size

Last edited:

robrrt

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2014
Pensacola, Florida, United States
What I like about a 21700 mod is that it can drive a larger tank (like a Cloud Beast) without the hassle of pairing 18650s. I started off with an iJoy Capo (crap) and an iStick Pico S, but recently splurged on an Asmodus Amighty and I love this mod. I've been using a small variety of 40a batteries; they discharge faster, but perform better than the 30T in my opinion.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As a MTL vaper I'm more concerned about vape time (MAH) than high current (Amp rating). The Samsung 40T 21700 fills the bill and gives me enough power to get through a day and into the next morning on a single cell at 10W. I can be away from home all day without worrying about carrying backups. The mod and a small bottle of refill juice is all I need.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
(heh, I knew I should've added that) Aspire, iJoy & Golisi
None of the batteries that you listed are actually 40 amp batteries. Battery Mooch bench tests batteries for accurate specifications, performance and safety for a living, and often finds the advertised specifications to be hugely exaggerated. I hope you haven't built your RBA's without some headroom of safety because the batteries that you have chosen are terribly over-rated.

I've been using a small variety of 40a batteries; they discharge faster, but perform better than the 30T in my opinion.

Last edited:

robrrt

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2014
Pensacola, Florida, United States
None of the batteries that you listed are actually 40 amp batteries. Battery Mooch bench tests batteries for accurate specifications, performance and safety for a living, and often finds the advertised specifications to be hugely exaggerated. I hope you haven't built your RBA's without some headroom of safety because the batteries that you have chosen are terribly over-rated.

As stated earlier, they perform well for me & {checks forum assigned} I don't build :D
Appreciate the links regardless

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread