Battery safety oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
I’ve been around awhile and I did something really stupid today. It can and will happen to any of us. I make mistakes but I tend to learn from them, so hopefully this is a one off for me.

I loaded my batteries in my parallel unregulated today in series orientation. I have a BMI regulated series box that is my main vape, and I just had a momentary lapse. Just about the time the second battery was clicking home I realized my mistake, right before all the solder in my box started to glow. I didn’t even try to pry a battery out, I was about 10 feet from the front door and I moved faster than I had in a while throwing the box out into the lawn. The battery door was off and throwing it dislodged a battery, so I went to check it out. The batteries seemed fine and were only very warm but not hot, so I threw them in my charger and they read 3.91v, so I let them charge and they seem fine. They didn’t overload for long because the melting solder broke the circuit. The box is DOA. As far as I can tell I should be able to take it apart, rewire and solder it and it’ll be fine.

In any event, this is why we stress battery safety so strenuously here at ECF. Bad things happen if you build beyond your battery’s limits or aren’t paying attention.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So-called "battery expert" here..... :facepalm:

One day I was working away in my kitchen, somewhat distracted from multi-tasking while cooking. My battery charger is located on one of my kitchen counters, and noticing that one of the batteries had a full charge, I removed it from the charger. Spontaneously, one of the pans on the stove began boiling over, and I somewhat absent mindedly put the charged battery in my pants pocket while I dealt with the overflowing pan.

After taking care of the boiling pan, I began to notice a burning sensation in my pocket. I knew immediately what was going on, and immediately removed the battery from the pocket and dropped it into the sink. It was hot enough to nearly burn my bare fingers, and I was able to hear a slight hissing sound as the battery vented hot gas.

So, even a so-called safety expert can have a moment of stupidity. I was not aware that there was a coin in my pocket.

(* Batteries should never be put into a pocket or purse where they may come into contact with something metalic. Doing so can complete the electric circuit of the battery, cause it to over-discharge, and go into thermal runaway.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sonicbomb

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Duralock%20Family%20image.JPG

the way those common Duracell or Energizer batteries are coloured, it's not so easy to put them in the wrong way without noticing,

but with many 18650 batteries:
1443728-1.jpg

they look pretty much the same right side up or upside down .

I have painted the negative sides of my batteries with a marker just to help with the visual clue, and I don't even have a dual batt mod and my dual bay chargers are independent bay too. (I used to have a dual bay that got fried from inserting a battery the wrong way more than a year ago)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread