Battery taking FOREVER to charge! 9+ hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvm14

Jun 3, 2014
IL
So i recently purchased an EVOD twist to go along with my EGO T batteries. It is the 1000 or 1100 mah style, and the egos are the 650 style, non adjustable. The ego t batts charge in just a few hours, while my EVOd is taking nine+ hours to charge. What is the deal? It is plugged in to the usb adapter the store gave me, it has two ports, one for 2 amp charging (it says ipad on it) and one port for 1 amp charging. They told me to only use the 1 amp slot for the battery. The battery is screwed in the the typical 4.2V 420ma charger dongle that is prevalent with these things. Any idea why it takes so long to charge this battery?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The actual Evod charger is 500mA but that shouldn't make any difference. I'd guess bad batt or the center pins on the charger and that battery aren't connecting. Disconnect the charger dongle and try 'pulling the pin' on it and also the battery.

How to Pull the Centerpin on your e-cigarette - YouTube

I highly suggest always checking the clearo or atty or the charger for 'low center pins' rather than the battery. One, they cost less than the batt (usually) and two, if you have to do it to the battery, you'll have to do it almost every time you use it, as it tends to recede. Never super tighten the battery onto the charger or the clearo onto the battery - this is what causes it - that and simply bad specs.

If that doesn't do it, I'd send the battery back as long as the charger works with other batteries. If not, then get another charger :)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I timed it today and it took 9 hours 40 min to charge. Ill try pulling the pin. I have a different charger i can try. It makes me wonder because my regular ego t batts charge quickly on the same charger the evod takes forever on.

I am currently using an iclear16 clearomizer.

I have mostly 650's and they take around an hour to charge. 900's take 2 hours plus. I don't have any 1000's, but I would say 3 hours tops. So something is wrong. I have Joye batts, but don't think that Evods are that different in charging.

For me, after some really bad looking charger pins, I always wipe down the batt end with a paper towel and use a Qtip for the inner well (where the pin is) before charging a batt now. Trashed the cruddy chargers and now the ones I use are clean. That is something else that could be interfering. Took me about a year to figure that one out... :)

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
the batteries have different charging characteristics.the circuitry in the batteries is different.
your charger should work though.
your basic charger is just a glorified trickle charger.as the battery voltage approaches the charging voltage
the charging current drops at a logarithmic rate not a linear rate.
example;lets say your battery needs charging.battery voltage =3.4 volts.charging voltage =4.2 volts.
for arguments sake lets say the initial charging current= 1 amp.when the battery reaches 3.8 volts the
charging current will be 1/4 amp,not 1/2 amp.at 4 volts it will be 1/8 amp,not 1/4 amp.
the charging current should stop when the voltages are equal.what happens is as the battery voltage approaches the charging voltage
the current draw is so low it takes forever to reach that final 1/10 volt difference.the battery should be 99.9 % charged after 3-4 hour.
may be a little more depending on the battery. a better charger would detect this and have the circuitry to adjust for this and switch
off once the battery reaches a set thresh hold voltage.for all intents and purposes 99.9% of a charge is just as good as 100% of
a charge you should be good to go after 3-4 hours give or take.a little experimenting will give you a more accurate time frame.
i suspect the vendor gave you a generic charger and not the one evod would sell you.an evod charger
would have circuitry that would match that in the battery and give the appearance of better performance.
i hope this helps.
:2c:
regards
mike

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So i recently purchased an EVOD twist to go along with my EGO T batteries. It is the 1000 or 1100 mah style, and the egos are the 650 style, non adjustable. The ego t batts charge in just a few hours, while my EVOd is taking nine+ hours to charge. What is the deal? It is plugged in to the usb adapter the store gave me, it has two ports, one for 2 amp charging (it says ipad on it) and one port for 1 amp charging. They told me to only use the 1 amp slot for the battery. The battery is screwed in the the typical 4.2V 420ma charger dongle that is prevalent with these things. Any idea why it takes so long to charge this battery?

I'm not sure what your shop gave you, but I use those USB wall adapters and they are great:

AC Wall to USB Adaptor

Instead of pin pulling, I now use those:

Circuit Board Spacer

Just drop one onto the center pin of your battery and it will ensure proper electrical contact with any topper.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i still suspect that the internal circuitry in the usb charger. (not the wall plug in usb port) a lot of products use the data line on the usb port to transmit data between the charger and battery. if brand x see's brand y's device it may exhibit characteristics that may seem that one or the other may not be working properly. it fact they are. see my post above. when the user hooks up brand y's charger to brand y's battery every thing appears honky dorey. when you hook up another brands battery sometimes it appears there might be a problem. such as taking forever to charge,or the indicator light toggles so fast you get a third color. i dont know if that's by design or just an unforeseen problem. it does confuse users though,who might get the impression that one product is better than another when that might not be necessarily so. i have 2 of the v2 kr808d cigalike chargers that behave in the way i've described. they do in fact charge all generic batteries i've gotten from 3 different sources.
:2c:
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread