The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

eGo charger question

Discussion in 'eGo Type Models' started by 69CamaroSS, May 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. 69CamaroSS

69CamaroSS Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    I've recently purchased a 1300mah eGo-C Twist as well as a 1500 Saturn 7 Twist. I purchased a charger separately and it is an eGo style that outputs the normal 420mA and has a little light on it that blinks red and green while charging. My question is this: is it normal for it to take well over 12 hours to fully charge either of these batteries at which time the little light on the charger will finally stay green? Not terribly familiar with the elec math involved but it would seem that at 420mA, it should be able to fully charge a 1500 mAh in roughly 3.5-4 hours. Sometimes, I plug it in around 6PM and it's STILL not showing the constant green light the next morning at 8 or 9 AM!! WTH? TIA :)

2. spaceballsrules

spaceballsrules Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    Cary, NC
    That is quite a long time. It should be going faster than that. Are you using the USB charger with a wall adapter? If so, what is the mah rating of the wall adapter?

3. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    Using a wall adaptor that outputs 12V 450mA made by Energizer. I've wondered if I should try one of the iPad/iPhone wall plugs with a higher output but assumed the eGo charger would regulate it down to 420mA anyway....plus don't want any "indoor fireworks"! Should I try the 1A iPad AC plug with the eGo adaptor? Safe to do so?

4. t.d

t.d Moved On ECF Veteran

May 23, 2009
    SoCal
    I have no idea if its the charger, ego board, or ego battery. The minimum wall charger you should be using is 5v 500mah or .5A. How's the battery life in comparison to other batteries you have? Im guessing the internal battery is lower quality than joyetech as I've had mine for years.

EDIT
    You probably burned something out dude. Its supposed to be 5v at 500mah/420mah. NOT 12v

5. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    Battery life is great...a couple of evenings of chain vaping probably totaling 12+ hours. I just realized that the Energizer wall charger was 12V. Would it be safe to plug the eGo charger into an iPad wall charger? I have them that output either 5V at 1A or another outputs 5.2V at 2.4A.

6. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Having been on 12 VDC overnight, your ego charger may be fit for the trash. That's well over twice the rated voltage... a damaged charger can subsequently damage the battery.

You could check the charger output, if you have a multimeter. But it's been badly stressed... and if not already dead, likely well on its way...

I'd get two more, as you need a spare anyway.

And the Iphone charger, at 5 VDC and 1 amp max, is fine to use as a source for the new ego chargers. Use the 5 V jack on it, although the 5.2 isn't too far off spec to be a problem.

7. Hermit

Hermit Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2014
    UK
    12V... ouch... how did that even conenct up?

Either 5V supply should work fine, as long as nothing has blown from the 12V.

(As already said... I was distracted in the middle of replying by having to dry burn a kanger coil... again :/ )

8. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    I'll have to check it out with my Fluke DMM. Amazingly, it was still working (although really slowly!). Even connected to that,the eGo charger was still outputting the advertised voltage (according to the Fluke) so I guess it's circuitry was able to reduce the 12V to 5V. The iPhone and iPad chargers that I have are different sizes and outputs. I'll try the smaller (5V 1A) one with it.

It is a generic wall plug with a USB out for charging different kids games like a Nintendo DS etc. I tried it due to the 450mA output (afraid the 1A iPad wall adaptor would be too much) but didn't notice the 12V rating.:facepalm: USB plugged right in and the eGo charger seemed to function normally...just slow as crap!
    image.jpg

9. DavidOck

Supporting member
    Kinda spooky that they'd make something with a USB2 connector that wasn't 5 VDC... especially since the industry standard for that connector is 5 VDC!

10. Hermit

Mar 13, 2014
    UK
    I can't tell from the pic, but putting 12V out on a USB socket just seems completely wrong... are you sure that's what it says? Might it be 12W instead?

11. spaceballsrules

spaceballsrules Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    Cary, NC
    That should work just fine. The USB charger can easily handle the 1 amp rating. No worries there.

My very uneducated guess would be that the USB charger was limiting the 12V output down to 5V, and in doing so it also cut the 450mah down to ~200mah.:confused:

12. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    Now that would explain the 12+ hour charge time! Have to check it's output with the different plugs and see. Thanks

13. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    Exactly! That's what threw me off and why I had the eGo plugged into it in the first place!:confused::facepalm:

Crazy, huh? image.jpg

14. Hermit

Mar 13, 2014
    UK
    Oh, hang on... it's a composite of two adapters: one which goes from mains to cigarette lighter socket at 12V, and then another going from that to USB at 5V. Here.

I can't see a any problem with that, the USB output should be 5V and have enough current to charge an ego. Assuming it's doing what it ought to, and not faulty.

So I'm afraid we still have the original puzzle - why it took so long to charge :(

15. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    Just checked and I am getting 4.3V out from the eGo charger weather it's plugged into this thing (450mA) or an iPad (1A) wall adaptor or another AC-USB (500mA) adaptor that I have. Obviously, the eGo charger is doing it's job as far as regulating the voltage out to 4.3V and ~420mA. Can't for the life of me figure out why it's taking well over 12 hours for the little indicator light to stop flashing red-green and stay green indicating a full charge with either my 1300 or my 1500 VV batteries. The 1300mAh is an eGo-C Twist and the 1500mAh is a Saturn 7 Twist VV.

16. DavidOck

Supporting member
    You can't actually check the current, since your meter needs to be in series with the load to do that. Unless you want to fabricate a test fitting :)

Get a second (at least) charger and see if it takes less time. If so, then probably just something in it set wrong, do it's not really putting out 420.

17. 69CamaroSS

Mar 8, 2014
    Upstate, SC, USA
    That's what I thought. I did set it to amps just to see and probed the eGo charger and it showed 0.47 DC Amps (not in series) no idea how it showed that!?!? Also is showing 4.3V.
    I actually have 2 more on the way! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.