Beast Box review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
I haven't seen any review on the Beast Box where it is tested for limitations, so I thought I'd post one after extensive testing. For starters, here is what Mister-E lists on the Beast Box specs:

- Variable Voltage from 2.9V - 8.4V
- 6 amp limit (safe for dual coil cartomizers)

After testing with a multimeter, multiple coils, and an under load 510 led voltage meter, I came to the conclusion that the Beast Box does not perform anywhere near the advertised ratings. The setup:

2 26500 Efest button top IMR's fresh off the charger reading at exactly 3.7 volts each (I don't overcharge them to 4.2). Inserted batteries into Beast Box, turned potentiometer all the way. Max reading I get on multimeter without any load is 6.38. Max reading I get on under load meter without any load is 6.4. I also tried with two 4.2 volt off the charger batteries for the sake of the test and the voltage caps out at 6.8 without load.

As you can see, the voltage doesn't go anywhere near the 8.4 advertised, even with batteries charged to 4.2 volts. Now for the stress tests to see if it truly reaches it's rated 6 amp limit.

Cartomizers, atomizers, coils used:
1-Smokteck dual coil cartomizer 2.5 ohm tested with multimeter
2-Boge 3.2 ohm cartomizer tested with multimeter (3)
3-Kanger protank 2 with 30g kanthal micro coil 1.7 ohm tested with multimeter
4-Kanger protank 2 with stock 2.5 ohm head and coil tested with multimeter (2.8)
5-Igo-L with 26G kanthal microcoil at 1.5ohm tested with multimeter
6- Avid Vaper cicso spec atomizer 3.5 ohm tested with mutimeter (3.7)

Results: Potentiometer on beast box set at max of 6.8 volts for stress tests while using 510 Underload meter from VaperMoon
--
1-Output of 4.9 Volts max under load.
2- Output of 5.1volts max under load.
3- Output of 4.1 volts max under load
4- Output of 5.1 volts under load
5 - Output of 3.8 max under load
6- Output of 5.5 max under load

After my tests, I came to the conclusion that It's nowhere near the advertised "6 amp limit". it seems to have a 3 ish amp limitation. It's not a bad box mod by any means but IMO it's not suitable for power vaping. I was expecting to be able to reach the 6 amp limit with my RDA. It would have been great if possible because the box mod has short circuit protection, overcurrent protection, and overload protecton. Would have been a safe vape at high wattage. Unfortunately, If I'm pushing 3 amps on this box I can consider myself lucky. Seems like a good box for regular vaping. I expected a Beast but this beast is a little too tame for my tastes. Will still use it for out and about vaping just for the battery life I can get out of this thing.

P.S Will be building a lower ohm coil and testing further.
P.P.S Heres the Igo L and coil (1.5 ohm micro coil) I used (Sorry For Bad Quality)

Last edited:

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
Okay just built a lower ohm coil and it did fire, but nowhere near the 6 amp limit. Also, the potentiometer on both beast boxes have a sensitivity issue. If you can tell in the video I'm about to post, When you crank the potentiometer ALL THE WAY TO THE MAX (Clockwise), it cuts off voltage completely. You need to slightly apply pressure counter clockwise to it to supply voltage again.. So far what I am speculating is that the potentiometers being used on the beasts are either faulty or the box really can't supply rated 8.4 volts. As for the "USA made" 6 amp board, I'm speculating the batch you got is faulty or the rated 6 amps is complete BS. I'm going to be posting a video I made showing the issues in which I'm describing. It's not the best quality and it might be shaky, but you can see whats going on.

EDIT: Heres the video description of the video I'm sill uploading to youtube. Keep in mind I did all of this with two hands. I held iphone camera with left hand and did everything else with right hand. I did the sushi chopstick method for testing coil and voltage output. Well, anyway, just read the description, makes it easier to follow:

From the start to 1:29, I test the max voltage the beast box is putting out without load. I tested it with a vapor moon under load meter. If you can see in the video, It doesnt reach the rated 8.4. Note, the potentiometer in this box is buggy, if you crank it all the way clockwise to the max, it will cut off voltage completely. To alleviate this, you give it a slight and I mean very slight nudge counter clockwise. I have two boxes and both have the same exact problems and performance, so to save time I only tested one. Will test the other if necessary or requested.

From 1:30 to 4:04, I'm testing the resitance of a coil I made on an Igo L. I made it lower than the previous one which was 1.5. The numbers jump a bit on the multimeter because i was having trouble making solid contact on the posts. Keep in mind I was recording with one hand and using the pos and negative terminals on my multimeter like sushi chop sticks. Towards the end you see I made steady contact and managed to keep my hand steady and it did not fluctuate from 1.2. I tested further after video and 1.2 is the resistance. It does not fluctuate one bit

From 4:06 to the 5 ish mark I'm connecting the igo on the underload meter so you can see what the box is putting out. Beginning at 5:10 you will see a demonstration of the potentiometer bug I've been talking about. You will see me crank it all the way and you will see how it cuts off voltage, until I give it a tiny nudge opposite direction. Keep in mind there are no shorts on the coil, it does this with anything (carto,atty, etc) connected to it. Its a potentiometer issue. You must make sure that when you crank it all the way, you do so until you can't turn it anymore (THE VOLTAGE CUTOFF POINT), then from there a TINY SLIGHT nudge to your left will fix the problem.

at 6:40 I demonstrate that you cant keep turning anymore, the potentiometer is at its max. then you see the bug once again. then at 7:10 you can see how a tiny nudge fixes the problem. You can see it peaks out at 3.90v with a 1.2 ohm coil. Thats only 3.25 amps.

at 7:45 and beyond, I test the output voltage without load once again only this time on the multimeter. You can see it's almost identical to what the under load meter said. at the beginning.

P.S I just bought these boxes no more than 2 weeks ago. I will be sending you an email so you can verify it's me. I really hope you guys work out the kinks so I can send them back and have them repaired if possible. I'll gladly pay for shipping and the repairs if need be.

Edit: Tommorrow when I get the chance I'm going to check the short circuit protection. So far I've gone as low as 1.2 ohm and it hasn't tripped. Gonna make a .8 sub ohm coil and see if that trips it

Last edited:

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
Thanks for the vid....It's appreciated.
Thanks for the appreciation. It was pretty difficult making the video, didn't have anyone around to help. I'm still waiting for a response from typocinnamongrl or Mister-E regarding the issue. Been 2 days since I made the video and emailed them with my issue. Hopefully they are working out the issues and will get back to me. Would really appreciate it if I could send the boxes to them for repairs or chip/potentiometer replacement.

P.S I just noticed you're from Miami, so am I! How cool is that!

Lunger

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
South Florida
Update: did some further testing. After some tinkering I managed to get one of the boxes to fire at 7.8 volts without any load on some fresh off the charger 4.2 volt batteries. I built me a sub ohm coil at .8 and the box is firing the coil at 3.50 under load steady. Thats roughly 4.3 amps and 15 watts! Tomorow I will be building a .6 sub ohm coil and see if that finally brings it up to 6 amps. Either way I'm not happy having to go sub ohm to get this box to pass the 3 amp range. I'm also curious now about the short protection, it hasn't tripped yet with a .8 coil. I'm guessing at this point that the short circuit protection kicks in when you exceed 6 amps, but getting to that 6 amp range is looking bleak. Will keep the thread updated with my findings.

P.S The max I've been able to get on this box has been 18 watts at 3 ish amps on a 1.8ohm microcoil fired at 5.7 volts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread