Been Vaping since 2011, and All Ejuice Tastes Horrible Now. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlazarus

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
What the title says. I've been vaping since 2011. Haven't had a cig since 2011. A full decade of happy vaping.

But my juice vendor went out of business (Uncle Junk's Jon Wayne is what I have vaped for years).

I have tried soooooooooooo much trying to find just something that is vapable. I have 30+ bottles of juice in the cabinet right now - and every single one of them tastes like crap (soapy, perfumy, licorice "y") and DRY DRY DRY. Everything from tobaccos to strawberry crunch and in between (I don't do menthols).

I bought some nic, some pg, some vg and 25 bottles of various (TFA) flavours. Same thing. Nasty. Just. Horrible. It's like I am vaping dawn detergent. Plain VG/PG mix is tolerable (but still feels horribly "dry" and with no flavor at all it's sooooo sad).

If I were trying to quit smoking now and just started vaping it would not work. I swear right now vaping to my mouth is as bad as an analog. Just freaking awful.

(And it's not just a steeping thing. I have several bottles of other juice I made AND some I bought from back in January that have steeped 5 months and nope, hasn't improved them at all - and in fact in two cases, made the juice worse).

Does anyone know what magic Uncle Junk's used to make their juice wet, flavorful and not chemically tasting?

Getting pretty desperate here.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Does anyone know what magic Uncle Junk's used to make their juice wet, flavorful and not chemically tasting?
    I'm kind of in the same boat with Boba's Bounty. Having never tried Jon Wayne, I can only suggest looking for a recipe for Goofy's Juice or Tribeca. Both use TFA RY4 Double, which does take a while to steep. UJ's JW has been brought up a couple of times here recently, but I haven't seen any conclusive solutions as of yet.

Regarding steeping, have you tried leaving the cap off your juice overnight to help dissipated the perfumey aromas?

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I bought some nic, some pg, some vg and 25 bottles of various (TFA) flavours. Same thing. Nasty. Just. Horrible. It's like I am vaping dawn detergent.

VG vapes "wetter" than PG. Perhaps try to adjust your recipe to a higher VG content. There is also a flavor that when used at the correct percentage produces a wet feeling/tasting vape, but I can't rememeber what that is. I want to say it has "cactus" in the name.

I bought some nic, some pg, some vg and 25 bottles of various (TFA) flavours. Same thing. Nasty. Just. Horrible. It's like I am vaping dawn detergent.

Sounds like you may have used too high a flavor percentage for at least one flavor or possibly more than one flavor. When your flavor % are too high, the flavor can change to something completely different, usually undesirable. For instance, TFA Peppermint tastes like aftershave lotion when too high. But at the right percentage, its wonderful peppermint flavor.

Well anyway, hopefully you get some help here. In my experience with vaping and just reading threads here over the years, tobacco flavors are the one of the worst flavors to be addicted to becuase they are hard to make and when your juice vendor goes away you are left dead in the water. I saw how tobacco flavors were a rabbit hole very early on in my vaping career and decided to just find non-tobacco flavors that I like and just stick to those. This worked for me. I no longer require or desire a tobacco flavor. I was a heavy smoker.

There is a whole world of flavors out there. Think of what foods and flavors in general that you like and try that. That's how you start the journey away from tobacco juices.

Good luck.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    If you Google Uncle Junk's Jon Wayne clone there are a few DIY recipes floating around out there you could try. You might be better off trying to find a different flavor profile you like, tobaccos were often proprietary with no real way to duplicate using the flavors commercially available to end consumers. I have been vaping the same commercial eliquid myself since 2011 that I can no longer buy, I did stock up but luckily it's a non tobacco flavor profile that hopefully I can come close to DIY and sticking with the same pg/vg/nic ratios my tastebuds are used to.

To add: I found just a hint of flavor worked a lot better for me in DIY, mixing in very low % of flavoring. Much (much) less than any DIY eliquid recipe called for. Or check out your local B&M vape shop, they might have samples you can try first. But the only sure thing will be your own DIY for longevity.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    tobaccos were often proprietary with no real way to duplicate using the flavors commercially available to end consumers.
    It's been rumored BB's recipe changed because a certain tobacco absolute was unavailable. Also, don't discount the use of AP and EM as enhancers.

ruet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    Have you tried moving away from flavorings? I did it by diluting my two favorite ADVs with PG/VG nic base over time. When my flavor was half-gone, I'd top it off with base. Now it's just 50/50 + nic for me. Way easier to deal with and the taste is quite good. ...just putting it out there for consideration.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't even realize I passed my 10yr too. :toast:

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    What the title says. I've been vaping since 2011. Haven't had a cig since 2011. A full decade of happy vaping.

But my juice vendor went out of business (Uncle Junk's Jon Wayne is what I have vaped for years).

I have tried soooooooooooo much trying to find just something that is vapable. I have 30+ bottles of juice in the cabinet right now - and every single one of them tastes like crap (soapy, perfumy, licorice "y") and DRY DRY DRY. Everything from tobaccos to strawberry crunch and in between (I don't do menthols).

I bought some nic, some pg, some vg and 25 bottles of various (TFA) flavours. Same thing. Nasty. Just. Horrible. It's like I am vaping dawn detergent. Plain VG/PG mix is tolerable (but still feels horribly "dry" and with no flavor at all it's sooooo sad).

If I were trying to quit smoking now and just started vaping it would not work. I swear right now vaping to my mouth is as bad as an analog. Just freaking awful.

(And it's not just a steeping thing. I have several bottles of other juice I made AND some I bought from back in January that have steeped 5 months and nope, hasn't improved them at all - and in fact in two cases, made the juice worse).

Getting pretty desperate here.

You got your sense of taste and smell back long ago... that's why it tastes so horrible, because these ejuice companies use far far too much flavoring, and care little about quality ingredients I think.

Your alternative is to take up DIY and mix your own juice, it's easy anyone can do it... it's just a small learning curve

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I did some searching for you... here's a general idea of what flavors you will need (keep in mind every brand has good and bad flavors and need to be mixed at different %)
    Basically, it has tobacco, caramel, cotton candy (EM), vanilla, graham cracker and cream. If I have time, I'll try to recommend specific ones to try. I make a similar mix myself (kind of a nutty/caramel/vanilla tobacco) The hardest part is figuring out the % of each flavor to use. You might try doing small 10 ml batches of each flavor by itself, then using those to experiment with combinations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread