beginning vaperor, looking for tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5VJL

Sep 30, 2015
OK, so I am new to vaping, only been at it for a couple weeks now, and been using a simple protank3 on an x6 battery, just to see if I'd like it,(didn't want to jump out there with a big investment, if it wasn't for me). Now I've got a kanger subtank mini on its way ( next level of investment im comfortable with considering my limited income). I've watched s few videos on building my own coils, & feel very confident I'd enjoy this part. The questions I have is on a mec mod, (I want to stay away from box mods, mec mods only) that uses your basic 18650 cell, which mah value would work best with a 0.5ohm coil, and which type metal & gauge for the coils to start with ( I know I will inevitably venture to trying several options before deciding on a personal preference, but need an idea on where to START). If a mec mod is not usable on this type coil, what is the smallest ohm value coil that can be used with mec mod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
No thoughts on coils but just wanted to say I loved that X6 battery. It is not "real" VV, just 3 different "modes" but it is so nice and lightweight and lasting long. Not sure a protank 3 would run too well on it though, seems like that batt would be under powered for a protank 3. I always used single coils on mine. :) Loved the weight of that battery though!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The questions I have is on a mec mod, (I want to stay away from box mods, mec mods only) that uses your basic 18650 cell, which mah value would work best with a 0.5ohm coil, and which type metal & gauge for the coils to start with ( I know I will inevitably venture to trying several options before deciding on a personal preference, but need an idea on where to START). If a mec mod is not usable on this type coil, what is the smallest ohm value coil that can be used with mec mod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With mechanical mods the resistance you build determines the maximum amp draw on the battery. If you go over that maximum the battery will start to heat up and can become dangerous. mAh (miliamp hours) is a rating that influences how long you'll get from a charge and is not a safety issue.

Using this ohms law calculator, plugging in 4.2 volts which is the battery voltage when it's freshly charged and 0.5 ohms gives you 8.4 amps. If that's the lowest you'll ever build I suggest you buy a battery rated for at least 10A.

@Mooch has a list of battery test results he did on a lot of our typically used batts. Here is the chart. I would recommend the LG HG2 for you. It is rated 20A and 3000 mAh. Go back to the ohms law calculator, lock the voltage at 4.2 and plug in 20 amps. You'll get 0.21 ohms. I would feel quite safe vaping that battery down to 0.3 ohms. That will give you some leaway for error in the accuracy of your ohm meter and if something should go wrong.

Regulated box mods have circuitry that will protect you from drawing too much current from the battery. Mech mods do not have this so it's up to you to protect yourself.

I would suggest you start with either 28 or 26 gauge Kanthal.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
OK, so I am new to vaping, only been at it for a couple weeks now, and been using a simple protank3 on an x6 battery, just to see if I'd like it,(didn't want to jump out there with a big investment, if it wasn't for me). Now I've got a kanger subtank mini on its way ( next level of investment im comfortable with considering my limited income). I've watched s few videos on building my own coils, & feel very confident I'd enjoy this part. The questions I have is on a mec mod, (I want to stay away from box mods, mec mods only) that uses your basic 18650 cell, which mah value would work best with a 0.5ohm coil, and which type metal & gauge for the coils to start with ( I know I will inevitably venture to trying several options before deciding on a personal preference, but need an idea on where to START). If a mec mod is not usable on this type coil, what is the smallest ohm value coil that can be used with mec mod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, first, regulated devices are inherently safer and easier than a mech mod. Most have built in protection against accidents. They won't fire a coil that's too low, they essentially prevent shorts, they don't drain the battery too fast, etc. It also allows a wider variety in your coils. If you build a .8 coil, you can lower the power to accommodate it. It makes vaping much easier, and safer.

Now, mechanicals are more for the hobbyists. Those, however, you have to use with caution though. I have never had any scare with a regulated device, but I've had two accidents with mechanicals that scared me. With mechanicals, there is no safety net. You must know what you're doing, and you build the coil based on what your battery can take. The MaH rating for mechanicals doesn't mean as much as the discharge capacity. You must know to get a SAFE battery. Sony VTC series have a reported 30a rating, others have a 20-25 amp rating (lg/samsung). You build your coils under the amp rating of the battery.

What size wire to get? well, that depends on what kind of vape you want. 26-28 gauge kanthal, like what @Ryedan suggested was a good starting point. 26 gauge for .5, ohm, 28 gauge for .8 ohms. Those are what I'd recommend for tanks. 24 gauge I recommend only for drippers, since I don't think any tank can keep up with the juice demand for that low of a coil. Just remember, the lower the gauge number, the thicker the wire, and the longer it takes for it to cool down. That means that the tank will get hotter with lower gauges.

I rebuild my OCC coil heads on my kanger tanks. I use 26 gauge kanthal, and I build around .5 to .6 ohms. I am currently vaping my kanger on a Vamo V7 40w tube mod. Finishing up a rather well made juice, and the last of it is in the tank.. after that, I go to my Cloupor 80w mod with my new juice. My mechanicals are on the windowsill... one with a dripper, the other with a subtank # .5 ohms.. I should wipe the dust off of one and make sure it still works. :)

Reactions: Ryedan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread